Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mother charged for hitting her daughter

BiffSplitkins

Mother charged after girl tells Syracuse school staff that she was beaten with a belt

By Robert A. Baker / The Post-Standard

October 29, 2009, 1:02PM

Syracuse, NY -- A Syracuse woman is facing misdemeanor charges after her 8-year-old daughter told a school staff member that her mother no longer wanted her as a daughter and had struck her with a belt, police records state.

Lynette Warren, 38, of 1108 First North St., was charged Wednesday with assault, criminal possession of a weapon and endangering the welfare, all misdemeanors.

The investigation began about 1:45 p.m. Wednesday after the staff member brought the 8-year-old girl to the offices of Roberts School and police were called.

arrow3.gifView: Source

Although I think hitting with a belt is wrong (that's how I used to get it when I was a kid) I think it's even worse that as parents we need to fear what information our children can say or make up to DSS or school officials. The mother could be telling the truth in this case (we will never know).

Edited by BiffSplitkins

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sherapy

• Beckys_Mom

• danielost

• mklsgl

Hitting with a belt sounds an awful lot like whipping to me. If it was a whipping then there's nothing wrong with it if it was justified.

Your link doesn't work for me by the way.

Hitting with a belt sounds an awful lot like whipping to me. If it was a whipping then there's nothing wrong with it if it was justified.

Your link doesn't work for me by the way.

Link Fixed

I used to get the belt, wooden spoon, ping pong paddle AND Hot Wheels track all the time when I was a kid. I turned out ok for the most part.

Who's to say the mother didn't pick up the girls belt (like it says in the article) and the girl moved her shoulder into the path of the belt on purpose. Children do tell some pretty good stories, especially if they are getting all of that "Oh poor baby are you ok" attention from others.

Edit: Had to throw this in from part of another topic I commented on earlier. It just seems to fit here nicely.

Scenario 4:

Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1959 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.

2009 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison.. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Edited by BiffSplitkins

My dad had a hand made wooden paddle. I think it was cut out of 3/4 plywood.

And yep. It sure stung.

I can remember more than one time when fear of getting the belt when dad came home stopped me from doing something really stupid as a kid.

Although I think hitting with a belt is wrong (that's how I used to get it when I was a kid) I think it's even worse that as parents we need to fear what information our children can say or make up to DSS or school officials. The mother could be telling the truth in this case (we will never know).

I hate to disagree with you....but I 100% agree the mother is lying and the kid is telling the truth............for I have been in the same kind of situation at the age of 8

and I was telling the truth too....Kids being whipped with belts...dont understand why the mother or father they love so much and is their world to them is doing such a thing

Scenario 4:

Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1959 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.

2009 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison.. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Ya know, I agree with you in one way, but in another... how about this scenario?

Billy breaks window.

Billy has to go apologize to the window owner, promise to pay for it, and then do hard, physical labor at a very low rate of pay to earn the money to replace the window in every spare moment. He gives the money to the person who owned the window. Billy learns to be more careful next time and learns the natural consequences of breaking something: you have to work hard to fix it. No hitting necessary. And Billy's parents get a lot of chores done at the same time. :)

I hate to disagree with you....but I 100% agree the mother is lying and the kid is telling the truth............for I have been in the same kind of situation at the age of 8

and I was telling the truth too....Kids being whipped with belts...dont understand why the mother or father they love so much and is their world to them is doing such a thing

Unfortunately we will never know in this case what really happened. I do think that the mother being charged with criminal possession of a weapon was a bit overboard. Especially considering it was the 8 year old's belt.

Becky, your situation was real and that's why you tend to believe this girl. I was walloped with a belt MANY times myself as a child. Did I deserve all of them? Of course not, but I feared my father like nobody's business and that kept me from doing some really bad stuff when I was growing up. I actually stopped and thought "Hey, what if dad finds out about this? What's he going to do to me?"

This same fear carries with me as an adult... not towards my father but towards other situations. Kids with no fear and respect grow up to be adults with no fear and no respect towards others.

Constant abuse is wrong and we all know that. If some type of punishment doesn't work with your child the first time it's a pretty good idea not to try that type of punishment again. It's time to look for some other type of punishment. This mother may have more than one child and the belt may have worked with the other children. Once again, I don't know the whole story and probably never will.

sounds like she has had it to easy, i had much worse than that. she probably needs it before she goes off the rails and has 20 babies that you and me have to support.

Ya know, I agree with you in one way, but in another... how about this scenario?

Billy breaks window.

Billy has to go apologize to the window owner, promise to pay for it, and then do hard, physical labor at a very low rate of pay to earn the money to replace the window in every spare moment. He gives the money to the person who owned the window. Billy learns to be more careful next time and learns the natural consequences of breaking something: you have to work hard to fix it. No hitting necessary. And Billy's parents get a lot of chores done at the same time. :)

Yes that will be very effective. Unless you are one of those parents that is always trying to be your child's best buddy all the time and don't require them to do any chores around the house. So when something like this happens the kid has no idea how to begin tackling a chore because the parent has spoiled the child for so long and done everything for the child. This is where most parents have real issues with their children and the real confrontation begins between child and adult.

This is where being your child's best friend instead of also being a teaching parent catches up with them.

I'm talking about the kind of parent that says - "My parents were so mean to me and made me work around the house all the time when I was kid, my child will never have to do anything like that ever!"

Every situation can have many possible solutions. As a parent it is MY right and MY right only how I handle the situation. I don't want anyone to tell me how to handle my situation with my child. I know the difference between abuse and punishment. Unfortunately there are a lot of parents out there that don't know this difference and put Child Protective Services on their hunch for everyone.

Personally I don't agree with spanking at all and have given my daughter ONE slight tap on the butt when she was 3 for playing with a stove. I chose never to spank again because it made me feel horrible and I know I didn't even spank hard enough for it to hurt her. It was just a personal decision I made as a parent.

Unless you are one of those parents that is always trying to be your child's best buddy all the time and don't require them to do any chores around the house

Those parents should be hit with belts. ;)

Problem I see with hitting is that it often precludes any other type of parenting (this is just in my small circle of aquaintances). The parents are all buddy-buddy until the kid does something wrong. Then they just smack 'em and expect them to learn how to behave.

if your mom or dad didn't tell you why that really is a case of abuse.

my dad told me why but he was abusive anyways.

a whipping should be the last resort, and then only one or two whips or what ever it takes to get the childs attention. and should never been done if your angry with the child.

Unfortunately we will never know in this case what really happened. I do think that the mother being charged with criminal possession of a weapon was a bit overboard. Especially considering it was the 8 year old's belt.

My becky has many belts and I know if I lifted any one of them to hit her....it would be mighty sore

I believe the kid easy........especially when she asked if she could go live withhte grandmother.............I did the EXACT same thing.........my dad LIED about how and why I was hit too the sec he was piulled on it...........and my dad did EXACTLY what the mother did - threaten me not to tell anyone or else!!!

The kid is being truthful...I just feel it

She deserves to be charged with it....its about time this kicked into action........I hope to god a lot of kids come forward to

Just because we all got the belt when we was younger..that dont mean the kid MUST e lying......not a chance

she fully deserves to be charged and if the mad cow does it again............I hope she gets the kids remoed untill she gets help with her anger

She should know better ways to deal with a kid........sounds to me like she is becoming what she once hated

sounds like she has had it to easy, i had much worse than that. she probably needs it before she goes off the rails and has 20 babies that you and me have to support.

Kid next door to me growing ...mary...was beaten non stop with a fishing rod and let me tell you...a fishing rod is a nasty stingy weapon to use on a kid.............she went off the rails regardless and by the time she was 17 she had 2 babies herself

Edited by Beckys_Mom

a whipping should be the last resort, and then only one or two whips or what ever it takes to get the childs attention. and should never been done if your angry with the child.

whipping should not even be a resort...I am lad the law is against it

Those parents should be hit with belts. wink2.gif

Those parents most likely where beaten with belts and other weapons as kids too

Ever hear of the saying - becoming what you hate?

My dad did just that.......I know for a fact he too was badly beaten with belts and a poker used to rake the fire.......he ran away from home many times

Long story short - he became what he hated

Same with other child abuse.......like sexual abuse.......many do become what they once feared and hated

I for one will do everything to make sure I dont...and so far....I found much better ways to teach my kid right from wrong...and my god its works

I just wish my dad had of done the same

On a lighter note......me and Becky both wrestle lol its so funny...she pretends to be Supergirl...da da da da daaaa and dives on me...turns into a wrestling match...I let her win LOLlaugh.gif

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Billy breaks window.

You don't whip a kid for something he did on accident anyway(at least my dad never did). He preserved the whippings for things we did on purpose that were just really really bad ideas... even though they seemed so good and fun at the time.

4 brothers + free time = personal/property damage.

my dad made me one time walk to my great grandmothers to say i was sorry for making a mess in her bathroom i was 7 it was 20 out.

it was at least 5 miles

my dad made me one time walk to my great grandmothers to say i was sorry for making a mess in her bathroom i was 7 it was 20 out.

it was at least 5 miles

That was cruel and dangerous..........ohh man thats nasrty

I mean ...you would have been killed in an accident...your dad fully charged with abuse and neglect

You could have been snatched and sexually molested and your lil body found in a ditch.........your dad in serious trouble

WTF? you were 7 for crying out loud.........what did your great grandmother say about this?

it was at least 5 miles

smiley-think005.gif

mess in the bathroom???????????? :w00t: you dirty little:lol:

That was cruel and dangerous..........ohh man thats nasrty

I mean ...you would have been killed in an accident...your dad fully charged with abuse and neglect

You could have been snatched and sexually molested and your lil body found in a ditch.........your dad in serious trouble

WTF? you were 7 for crying out loud.........what did your great grandmother say about this?

:cry: Oh my gosh I am tearing up reading the treatment of children on this thread....

I want to first say to Purplos and Geri you are correct in your approach to parenting..

It reminds me of being a kid when I was called into the superior nuns office, due to bruising on me and my sister from being beaten, I lied and made things up, like I said a desk fell on my sisters badly bruised face, from my step dad punching her several times in the face for asking for a second cookie...

by the way she was 6 years old...

The mother of this girl needs help, and fast..I think it is about time that kids know they can be empowered and the more that turn in their parents the better for them and culture ..

In 20 counties around the wrold they have laws in place now< that say: a child has the right to physical integrity meaning from birth on they have the right as a human bieng, to not be hit or harmed in any way, by anyone, including their parents....... We have these rights for women finally and now animals we have rights for animals to be killed humanely..... yet In the US we refuse to join the efforts world wide to end child abuse in any form....

To move towards a commitment to unity and peace, we perpetuate violence when we harm others and calling it love is not fooling the child........children of abuse grow up and rationalize abuse because this is what they have been taught , not that its fact that a good beating never hurt anyone... that is conditoning from a culture that finds this type of treatment to a defenseless child good paretning.. it is dysfunctional..period......

Biff your children are not your property to do with as you please, they are future adults and it it is your job as a guide to guide in a manner that models civility and compassion and empathy for the society at large ...As adults if we hit others, even in those special circumstances, as many are saying were reserved for them to be beat.... an adult will find themselves in trouble with the law ,as its uncivil to resolve conflict with violence ...

Is your daughters life any less worthy of value then say your wife who has the right to protect her physical integrity??

I mean no offense to you ....But its a question I'd like to hear your answer for....

Edited by S♥ ♥ ♥

In the United States, "spanking", "smacking" or "slapping"by parents is currently legal in all 50 states, it is also legal to use certain implements such as a belt or paddle. Attempts to ban spanking in Massachusetts have failed, and a law that would have restricted its use in California was defeated.

So smackem if ya gottem.

Becky, your situation was real and that's why you tend to believe this girl. I was walloped with a belt MANY times myself as a child. Did I deserve all of them? Of course not, but I feared my father like nobody's business and that kept me from doing some really bad stuff when I was growing up. I actually stopped and thought "Hey, what if dad finds out about this? What's he going to do to me?"

This same fear carries with me as an adult... not towards my father but towards other situations. Kids with no fear and respect grow up to be adults with no fear and no respect towards others.

Constant abuse is wrong and we all know that. If some type of punishment doesn't work with your child the first time it's a pretty good idea not to try that type of punishment again. It's time to look for some other type of punishment. This mother may have more than one child and the belt may have worked with the other children. Once again, I don't know the whole story and probably never will.

hmmm, I think the charge is very appropriate we are talking about and 8 year old child,

lets try this : Say a adult in your neighborhood took a belt to your daughter, or your wife....Would you also say the law is being to harsh on the adult and how dare your daughter or wife get help and accuse them of lying to boot?

often people get so caught up in 'their rights', they tend to exclude others from the same rights, so why would this little girl not have any rights in your opine?

Edited by S♥ ♥ ♥

Why is there even an argument for physical discipline? If you harm another person, then you are guilty of assault. If you harm another person using something other than your hands/fists/foot, then you are guilty of aggravated assault. When you do it to a child, you are guilty of abuse. When you try to rationalize it, you are denying what it actually is.

In the United States, "spanking", "smacking" or "slapping"by parents is currently legal in all 50 states, it is also legal to use certain implements such as a belt or paddle. Attempts to ban spanking in Massachusetts have failed, and a law that would have restricted its use in California was defeated.

So smackem if ya gottem.

Its defeated temporarily, its not forgotten, its a matter of time my friend..I don't think you are aware of the efforts towards this!!!! ......Eventually the US will join the rest of the nation as proposed by the united nations as an effort towards world peace...It begins in the home......It snot rocket science ...

Its an embarrassment that the US has not signed on yet..but they will...to not allow our children basic human rights is inhumane ... .....

The UN Secretary-General’s 2006 Study on Violence against Children exposes the shocking scope of violence against children and documents its devastating effects on children, their families, their communities, and broader society. The Study clearly establishes the urgent need for immediate action to prevent and respond to violence against children in all of its forms.

We, as local, national, regional, and international non-governmental organisations from every part of the world, call on each UN member state to fully implement the Study’s important recommendations.

Having carefully considered alternative ways of ensuring global leadership on this issue, we also call on member states to act at the 2007 UN General Assembly to establish a Special Representative to the Secretary-General on Violence against Children to work with the UN system, member states, NGOs, children and youth as a high-level and high-profile advocate to ensure concrete action to end violence against children in all parts of the world.

Organisations are invited to sign up to the statement below or by emailing us on: info@crin.org or barbagliac@gmail.com

Sign the Petition - Signez la pétition - Firme la petitiòn

http://www.crin.org/....asp?petID=1004

Edited by S♥ ♥ ♥