Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pastor tries to walk on water like Jesus

ShadowSot

Walking on water is not easy. Not too many people have the ability. Let’s see, there’s Jesus, and well, that’s about it. Unfortunately for one pastor on the West Coast of Africa, his attempt to become the second man to make this impossible feat a reality cost him his life.

Pastor Franck Kabele, 35, told his congregation that he was capable of reenacting the very miracles of Jesus Christ. He decided to make it clear through way of demonstration on Gabon’s beach in the capital city of Libreville.

Read the rest here

I realize I shouldn't laugh at this, but I did after reading the title. Seems the title says it all really.

• Like 2

Ahhh ... but GOd put such people on earth so that we are reminded to remember to laugh ~

Edited by third_eye
  • Like 1

God has subtle ways of dealing with people who get ideas above their station.

• Like 4

Ahhh ... but GOd put such people on earth so that we are reminded to remember to laugh ~

Honestly, I read the story and was mostly glad that in this case it was self afflicted stupidity, not one of those many stories of those oher stories that usually affect children.
  • Like 2

Honestly, I read the story and was mostly glad that in this case it was self afflicted stupidity, not one of those many stories of those oher stories that usually affect children.

My point exactly ... if the poor sod was drowned on account of some self proclaimed miracle worker declaring wonder miracle working ... I believe we'd be differing on our current and initial opinion :tu:

• Like 1

And this year's Darwin award goes to....

• Like 3

Well we had a guy in England (King Alfred) who tried to stop the tide coming in, another Brit failure.

• Like 1

Well we had a guy in England (King Alfred) who tried to stop the tide coming in, another Brit failure.

i think that was Canute, or Knut.

Actually, according to experts, it wasn't out of ego, in fact he was trying to convince his followers & admirers that he wasn't omnipotent and couldn't stop the tide coming in. he's been rather badly served by popualr legend.

• Like 6

What about Chris Angel? :) Swimming pool run ehehe

• Like 1

The masked magician totally let all that kittens and cats out of that bags of hats ... I think the masked magician's 'assistants' were way hotter too :lol:

That's a pretty high price to pay for the sin of Pride - then again, there are very few people who are THAT pride filled thank goodness.

I scrolled down and read the comments.

One of them says

"Hahahahahah. Ha!"

and another one says

"AAAAAAAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA... (takes breath).... AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... (takes breath).... AAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA"

Edited by Saru
Reduced text line length

Aren't Pride and Faith often interchangeable?

Take the side-story in the article about the man who walked into a lion enclosure at a zoo. He did what he did out of faith - as the bible preaches we should.

He had absolute faith, as did Daniel, and God ignored him.

Surely this tells it's own story?

Aren't Pride and Faith often interchangeable?

Take the side-story in the article about the man who walked into a lion enclosure at a zoo. He did what he did out of faith - as the bible preaches we should.

He had absolute faith, as did Daniel, and God ignored him.

Surely this tells it's own story?

Daniel had to walk into the lions den, he had no choice, he did not do it to test God and see if he would protect him.

I do not see how faith and pride are interchangeable.

You can have faith and be humble.

If you find yourself ill, with a terminal disease even, you can still have faith to the end of your life and not be wondering "why me?", you can maintain faith regardless of physical circumstances and that is when faith matters most. If you are proud, you will feel forsaken if you are ill, regardless of the fact that millions of humanity before you, who are just

as precious in God's eyes as you have suffered the same, you will believe you should have some privilege, be the exception to the rule - that is pride.

• Like 1

Daniel had to walk into the lions den, he had no choice, he did not do it to test God and see if he would protect him.

I said nothing about testing God, only that God promises via the bible that faith will be rewarded - just as God rewarded Daniel (among other biblical figures) for his faith.

You'll note I used the word "often" when claiming pride and faith were interchangeable. Was the man who walked into the lion enclosure exhibiting pride, or faith? Or could both be applied?

Likewise, the man who tried to walk on water. Was it pride or faith which led him to believe this was possible? And is it necessary to make them exclusive of each other?

Edited by Leonardo

If you find yourself ill, with a terminal disease even, you can still have faith to the end of your life and not be wondering "why me?", you can maintain faith regardless of physical circumstances and that is when faith matters most. If you are proud, you will feel forsaken if you are ill, regardless of the fact that millions of humanity before you, who are just

as precious in God's eyes as you have suffered the same, you will believe you should have some privilege, be the exception to the rule - that is pride.

Mark 16:17-18

And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues;

they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.

I said nothing about testing God, only that God promises via the bible that faith will be rewarded - just as God rewarded Daniel (among other biblical figures) for his faith.

You'll note I used the word "often" when claiming pride and faith were interchangeable. Was the man who walked into the lion enclosure exhibiting pride, or faith? Or could both be applied?

Likewise, the man who tried to walk on water. Was it pride or faith which led him to believe this was possible? And is it necessary to make them exclusive of each other?

Granted you did use the word "often". However, I think it may also often then be the case that Pride is masquerading as Faith.

Humility comes first, true faith can't be enacted with pride.

Considering oneself "righteous" before all men aka: worthy of walking on water to make a point before a group of followers is far from being humble.

Perhaps if this Pastor was also capable within his heart to submit to the will of his fellow man while they whipped him and crucified him, all the while loving them even as he suffered at their hands (something only he and God can know if he is capable of) then the result might have been different.

It is not just a matter of standing up and saying "I have faith to move this mountain" and it is done. It is having faith in the darkest possible hour and changing not one jot of your capacity to love and give of every single bit of yourself over to God's will in that circumstance - this is something that lives inside us, or it does not - there can be no pretense, all pretenders will fail.

• Like 2

Mark 16:17-18

And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues;

they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.

You might want to refer to my response to Leonardo, as I have alluded to the issues of true faith or belief in that post.

Suffice to say the most profound truth lies in the simplest of statements and in this case it is "And these signs will accompany those who believe.

It does not say "And these signs will accompany those who claim to believe".

It is also, for this reason, said: "By their works shall ye know them". Not by what they say, or claim but by what they do.

Claiming to believe, no matter how often nor how loud nor before however many thousand witnesses, time and time again, does no good if you are kidding yourself on even the minutest level. EG: God spoke to you? He better have really done so, because if he did not, if it is your pride claiming your inner Ego is actually the voice of God - you are gonna be in big trouble *insert long list of failed claimants in history as a lesson to the wise here*.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 1

What about Chris Angel? :) Swimming pool run ehehe

Yeah, he should probably change his name to 'Christ' Angel. :whistle:

I don't believe Jesus ever walked on the water. Not because I am trying to 'disprove' the Bible or anything of the sort...it is written in the Bible, but it never happened. I don't believe it because:

Jesus was tempted in the wilderness of things exactly like that. Please follow me here for a second...Jesus authored the story of his temptations...otherwise, no one would have known what happened out there in the wilderness. So, you can take the Temptation story in the wilderness to have originated with Jesus. Because Jesus did not succumb to the temptations to prove that he was actually the Son of God...even to himself...why would he then feel a need to succumb to the temptations all over again to 'prove' he was the Son of God to his followers? These are stories that the followers misunderstood and wallah...Biblical fact...but if you take into consideration the character of Jesus, the man, we can rest assured that he did no such thing.

funny-good-guy-jesusing-dog-pool-walking-water-pics.jpg
  • Like 4

You might want to refer to my response to Leonardo, as I have alluded to the issues of true faith or belief in that post.

Suffice to say the most profound truth lies in the simplest of statements and in this case it is "And these signs will accompany those who believe.

It does not say "And these signs will accompany those who claim to believe".

It is also, for this reason, said: "By their works shall ye know them". Not by what they say, or claim but by what they do.

Claiming to believe, no matter how often nor how loud nor before however many thousand witnesses, time and time again, does no good if you are kidding yourself on even the minutest level. EG: God spoke to you? He better have really done so, because if he did not, if it is your pride claiming your inner Ego is actually the voice of God - you are gonna be in big trouble *insert long list of failed claimants in history as a lesson to the wise here*.

So in other words, if they try and it doesn't happen, instead of proof it doesn't work it's proof they didn't really believe.

So all those people with dead kids, if they'd just have really believed, God would have healed their kids, but shame they didn't actually believe for real.

No wonder why these people have to get their kids taken away instead of going to see a doctor.

So in other words, if they try and it doesn't happen, instead of proof it doesn't work it's proof they didn't really believe.

So all those people with dead kids, if they'd just have really believed, God would have healed their kids, but shame they didn't actually believe for real.

No wonder why these people have to get their kids taken away instead of going to see a doctor.

Jesus talked a lot about two things in-particular...one was forgiveness...the other one was Faith. Jesus was under no illusions of grandeur...a lot of 'miracles' were attributed to him...but as I already stated...that wasn't in his character.

Sorry, I know your post was to Libstak...I just thought she did a good job of already pointing out that he was talking about faith...I'll go back to sleep now... :-*

Edited by joc
  • Like 1

If you are trying to "prove" something - you are testing God, you have failed before you have begun.

If you have faith - then why is that faith not extended to all of Gods works? aka: your fellow man. We have Doctors and Scientists working sincerely and dilligently to assist others, to make life better. It is intrinsic to the mindset of these types that all our capacity to deal with disease is ignored in favour of testing God to act directly for them when history shows clearly that it is rare beyond measure that anyone gets direct intervention. To me it speaks to of a lack of humility, expecting something that 99% of the population would never dream of expecting from God, or a lack of faith in the progress and capacity of your fellow man who are all Gods children.

Children die like this when a cure is waiting for them in the hands of sincere people at a hospital a stone throw away. People who have a sincere and proven faith in their ability to save lives. If it was my child, I would praying that I could get them to the hospital in time and then placing my faith in those who have sacrificed so much time and effort to perfect their skills at healing.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 1