Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Gorilla Mourns Kitten's Death.

EllJay

This isn't exactly news (the article is from 1985) but it is an amazing story nonetheless.

The contemplation of death -that we humans always claimed that we were the only creature capable of- is probably more widespread than some believe.. Most people know this instinctively already, but there is still deniers and skeptics out there.

Gorilla's Pet : Koko Mourns Kitten's Death

Koko the "talking" gorilla whimpered with grief and "discussed" the death of her pet kitten, struck and killed by a car, for several days after getting the bad news, her teachers say.

The 13-year-old gorilla became famous after being taught American sign language by researchers at the Gorilla Foundation in Woodside, near Stanford University. The 12-year-old research project is said to be the world's longest continuing ape language study.

*Snip*

Source: http://articles.lati...38_1_pet-kitten

Edited by Still Waters
Shortened amount of copied text
  • Like 6

That's so sad. This should provide some proof that we are not the only ones who have emotions and express grief over the loss of those we love.

• Like 2

There are many amazing anecdotes about Koko. Highly reccomend everyone watch whatever documetaries they see about her. Years after capture, she uses sign language to describe the event and expresses her great fear and deep sense of loss after being snatched from the wild. Another amazing thing are the paintings done by her male counter part (his name slips my mind)

• Like 1

There are many amazing anecdotes about Koko. Highly reccomend everyone watch whatever documetaries they see about her. Years after capture, she uses sign language to describe the event and expresses her great fear and deep sense of loss after being snatched from the wild. Another amazing thing are the paintings done by her male counter part (his name slips my mind)

Just googled Koko and found some amazing videos of him on youtube. This one in particular completely knocked me off my feet when Koko is watching a sad film wait till you get 1.20 secs :cry:

[media=]

[/media] Edited by Star of the Sea
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

I was not sure where to put this..

because quite frankly had somebody told me about this and i hadnt seen it for myself i would have put it in the mythical fable creature section.

but this is an actual living breathing gorilla.

The emotions and the caring of this gorilla has brought me to tears on occasions, and she`s what in her 40s (human years was born in 1971)

Words cant describe it you must see for yourself, she talks and displays more emotion than most humans alive.

First of all the story of koko when her kitten died

Happy story koko gets new kittens

[media=]

I cant post the links to the rest but there are many more really cute and amazing videos of her

The videos will make you cry and realise there is still some hope out there

yes the human race is screwed, but next time you wish for an asteroid to come and wipe us all out and hit the reset button (like i have wanted many times before)

just remember there are still caring loving people and animals out there

Edited by eley
  • Like 4

I met Koko I think. Does she live in Ellensburg Washington?

I was not sure where to put this..

because quite frankly had somebody told me about this and i hadnt seen it for myself i would have put it in the mythical fable creature section.

but this is an actual living breathing gorilla.

The emotions and the caring of this gorilla has brought me to tears on occasions, and she`s what in her 40s (human years was born in 1971)

Words cant describe it you must see for yourself, she talks and displays more emotion than most humans alive.

First of all the story of koko when her kitten died

Happy story koko gets new kittens

[media=]

I cant post the links to the rest but there are many more really cute and amazing videos of her

The videos will make you cry and realise there is still some hope out there

yes the human race is screwed, but next time you wish for an asteroid to come and wipe us all out and hit the reset button (like i have wanted many times before)

just remember there are still caring loving people and animals out there

Regardless to if this is the right place to post this on UM.. it is adorable.

Probably better placed in our Natural World forum.

• Like 1

Regardless to if this is the right place to post this on UM.. it is adorable.

I agree...just beautiful.

*Topic moved and merged*

Welcome to UM eley :tu:

• Like 1

This isn't exactly news (the article is from 1985) but it is an amazing story nonetheless.

The contemplation of death -that we humans always claimed that we were the only creature capable of- is probably more widespread than some believe.. Most people know this instinctively already, but there is still deniers and skeptics out there.

Click the video clink to take you to a page that allows you to watch related YouTube videos. Some of the videos are awesome. Koko turning her back because a sad movie makes her not want to watch it. Koko playing with kittens. Koko playing with Robin Williams. Etc.

On the other hand, videos of chimpanzees show me how vicious and ugly primates can be. I think humans are an oddball evolutionary thing between chimps and gorillas where we picked up some of the gentleness and altruism of gorillas combined with the dirty nastiness associates with chimpanzee, while perhaps inheriting the best intellligence attributes of both branches of primates.

Edited by Archimedes

I didn't even watch the video, and I'm on the verge of blubbering .

Another example from 1964, video from Jane Goodall's research in the forest of Gombe. A young chimp "Flint" experiences his mothers death. He climbs a nearby tree and stays there. As his troop moves away from the area, Flint continues to stay atop the tree for three weeks, until he dies. The narration tells us that he died of grief. After three weeks I think he probably died of thirst, but grief most likely kept him there.

[media=]

[/media]

I don't understand why some people refuse to accept emotions in animals, especially a close relative like chimpanzees. After all, we are just another ape, albeit a naked one.

Is this a crypto?

No

• Like 1

even wild beasts feel some levels of sympathy yet some human don't what a shame

• Like 2

Ah, I see. Thanks.

Was the kitten a crypto?

No

• Like 1

Human emotions in non-humans? Try this:

post-55116-0-93103100-1370961562_thumb.j

Ah, I see. Thanks.

Was the kitten a crypto?

Quite possibly a hyrax imitating a dead kitten.