Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 3 votes

Crop circles are not the work of hoaxers

greg jefferys crop circles

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

#31    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 6,508 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

Since boards and rope were as common in the 1700's, 1800's and 1900's as they are today, I don't see that this guy has proven anything.  And crop circles certainly are not to complex for mere mortals to complete, it has been done, in front of the cameras, several times.

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

Who is more humble, the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us or somebody who says everything in this book should be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of the human beings involved in the writing of this legend - Carl Sagan

#32    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,121 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 29 January 2013 - 01:21 PM, said:

Aliens or hoaxers or ghosts or whatever, if I were a farmer and this happened to me I would be royally p***ed.

That's why they are created during the night.

#33    Rolci

Rolci

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

I usually follow the new formations on Lucy Pringle's website in the latest photos section. She even made it into the Daily Mail http://www.dailymail...-does-mean.html and there is a Telegraph article about the same circle as well: http://www.telegraph...-Wiltshire.html
I love the articles, especially the mathematical aspects of it, but there was a more mysterious one that you can watch here: http://www.youtube.c...XRhAB0#t=39m18s and watch for 7 minutes

#34    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,121 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

#35    AlienDan

AlienDan

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

I used to be a circle maker, and have been a researcher of crop circles for several years. I now believe they are all man made, and only think it's a possibility that >1% could be "real". And the ones I think could be real are the ones with absolutely no complexity. The more complex and geometrical, the more man made.

#36    highdesert50

highdesert50

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

Would it be more reasonable to consider that the spectrum of crop circles simply span a number of human endeavors: artistic pursuits, irrigation related, maze games, quasi-religious rites, vandalism, for-profit, etc. as well as perhaps some atmospheric events such as microbursts.

#37    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Just because 1 or more persons admit to hoaxing circles doesn't mean that all circles are in fact faked or hoaxed. Some circles are incredibly complex, and i have a hard time believing this perfection was achieved at night with nothing more than flashlights and a board attached to a rope.

#38    NemoMysterio

NemoMysterio

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 82 posts

• And that's the bottom line...

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

How could you explain 'hoaxers' detailing the Torus and Vector Equalibrium? Are not these 'hoaxers' often local drunks?

#39    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,121 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

View Postancient astronaut, on 29 January 2013 - 02:34 PM, said:

Just because 1 or more persons admit to hoaxing circles doesn't mean that all circles are in fact faked or hoaxed. Some circles are incredibly complex, and i have a hard time believing this perfection was achieved at night with nothing more than flashlights and a board attached to a rope.

If I can find it, I will post the video, but I have seen on tv that they created a complex crop circle in the middle of the night, in total darkness. To film it they of course used those night goggles from the military or something.

#40    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,774 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

Your logic is correct as far as it goes, but that hoaxers exist is known, and this automatically puts all crop circles into the likely hoax category.  It's a matter of not applying some outre explanation to things for which commonplace explanations work.  If you are in London and hear galloping hooves, don't conclude it has to be zebra.

I don't understand why you have a hard time believing that hoaxes can do this.  Have you been to college and seen some of the stunts these students can achieve?

#41    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 6,508 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

You have a hard time "this perfection was achieved at night with nothing more than flashlights and a board attached to a rope" but not a hard time believing an interstellar space craft hovered over a field and bent the wheat into a complex shape?  Is that at all logical?  Just sayin'.

View PostNemoMysterio, on 29 January 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

How could you explain 'hoaxers' detailing the Torus and Vector Equalibrium? Are not these 'hoaxers' often local drunks?

How about the local physics club having a bit of fun on a Saturday night?  Does that make it more plausible for you?

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

Who is more humble, the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us or somebody who says everything in this book should be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of the human beings involved in the writing of this legend - Carl Sagan

#42    dharma warrior

dharma warrior

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 247 posts

• "Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

I thought the crop circle "phenomenon" had been laid to rest years ago. Still waiting to hear a plausible argument from the believers as to why an extra terrestrial would choose this obscure method of communication.

#43    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,774 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

View Postdharma warrior, on 29 January 2013 - 03:50 PM, said:

I thought the crop circle "phenomenon" had been laid to rest years ago. Still waiting to hear a plausible argument from the believers as to why an extra terrestrial would choose this obscure method of communication.
I would guess the answer is that they don't think the way we think.  That explains a lot of the bizarre things they do.

#44    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

View PostMerc14, on 29 January 2013 - 01:24 PM, said:

Since boards and rope were as common in the 1700's, 1800's and 1900's as they are today, I don't see that this guy has proven anything.  And crop circles certainly are not to complex for mere mortals to complete, it has been done, in front of the cameras, several times.

Exactly.

And I'll add to that are we supposed to accept that there were no artists, bored farmers, practical jokers, and/or pranksters in those eras as well?

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#45    Technocrat

Technocrat

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

• "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog." Anon.

"Art is what you can get away with." Andy Warhol.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

I have watched documentaries in the past in which it was stated that the genetic structure of the flattened wheat was changed and that the stalks weren't snapped just bent. Hoaxers with wooden boards and ropes don't account for this at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users