Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Costa Concordia captain's seminar sparks row

questionmark

A furious row has broken out within Italy's biggest university after it emerged that Francesco Schettino, the former skipper of the Costa Concordia, had been invited to address a seminar organised by one of its professors.

Schettino, who is on trial charged with manslaughter and other offences, was quoted as saying: "I was called in because I am an expert. I had to illustrate the management of panic control."

Thirty-two people died amid chaotic scenes after the giant liner smashed into a rock off the island of Giglio on the night of 13 January 2012. A diver later died during the salvage operation.

Read more

So what is he going to speak about? Upholding Italian tradition by pi$$ing off when the going gets tough? Or why you have to stand in the first life boat when you scream: 'Women and children first'?

• Like 2

in related news:

Capt Francesco Schettino teaches panic management course at Rome university

Read more

As suspected...

in related news:

As suspected...

Seriously? The man proved himself to be a total coward, not the best credentials for the Captain of a Cruise Liner. "Accidentally tripped into a Lifeboat"?? Please, give us all some credit - he was admonished by the Italian Coastguard for abandoning his post - whilst it was happening... his response" I can better aid the rescue from the shore"...Jeez the Coastguard was ticked off with him. told him to go back and command operations from the ship - Oh no, he was having none of it, he was safe whilst his charges were in desperate straights.

I hope he goes down for life - useless piece of Maritime History <_<

• Like 1

Seriously? The man proved himself to be a total coward, not the best credentials for the Captain of a Cruise Liner. "Accidentally tripped into a Lifeboat"?? Please, give us all some credit - he was admonished by the Italian Coastguard for abandoning his post - whilst it was happening... his response" I can better aid the rescue from the shore"...Jeez the Coastguard was ticked off with him. told him to go back and command operations from the ship - Oh no, he was having none of it, he was safe whilst his charges were in desperate straights.

I hope he goes down for life - useless piece of Maritime History <_<

I think people are being a bit harsh on him because I know if I was the captain of a sinking boat I'd be first off. Sod the passengers, I ain't dying for them!

I'd take the 2 years in jail instead as at least I get to live lmao.

I think people are being a bit harsh on him because I know if I was the captain of a sinking boat I'd be first off. Sod the passengers, I ain't dying for them!

I'd take the 2 years in jail instead as at least I get to live lmao.

And with that attitude you might gain a "patent" (known by landlubbers as Captain's license), but certainly would never get a higher commission than 3d officer... because if the captain gets sick the first officer takes his place.

And with that attitude you might gain a "patent" (known by landlubbers as Captain's license), but certainly would never get a higher commission than 3d officer... because if the captain gets sick the first officer takes his place.

If a Captain announced that everybody had to make their way to the lifeboats and abandon ship then he might struggle to get off in time due to the panic. So I simply wouldn't tell you. My God that sounds really shady lol.

But at least I'd get to live!!!

If a Captain announced that everybody had to make their way to the lifeboats and abandon ship then he might struggle to get off in time due to the panic. So I simply wouldn't tell you. My God that sounds really shady lol.

But at least I'd get to live!!!

And work the rest of your days as Congo Pilot...

So what is he going to speak about? Upholding Italian tradition by pi$$ing off when the going gets tough?

That was a unfortunate sentence....