Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is the bible bogus?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,694 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

#2    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

Yes

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#3    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,609 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:10 PM

One day we will live in a society where one can believe the Bible is bogus but have no need to say it to those who believe it is not (respecting their beliefs).

Also a society where one can believe the Bible is sacred but have no need to try and convince those who think it is bogus and even respecting their beliefs.

Until then we will continue with this stupidity: this tribal, backward thinking and a weak sense of ethnics that allows and even encourages to degrade what others hold sacred

Edited by Chasingtherabbit, 16 September 2012 - 01:46 PM.

#4    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

Damn youtube vids I can't watch here at work.  grr.

But to answer the question I'm not sure if "bogus" is the word I'd personally use.  Do I think way, way too much emphasis is placed on the Bible?  yes.  Do i think that it is the Divine word if God set down through the hands of those who wrote it?  No.  I believe that God (or the divine if you will) exists within us all.  So that in a loose interpretation, it could be said to be the "word of God."  By that same metric however, so could this post I'm writing right now.

I think the Bible's importance is defined more by what the individual chooses to do with it, and less on what it actually is.  If the teachings of the Bible are used to enrich and empower the reader and those connected to the reader then I think the Bible is being used as it was origninally intended.  When it is used to divide and demean, I think it is further from its original purpose.

So I think the Bible's value (also that of the Quran, Torah, etc..) is in its ability to connect with the divine within us and to perhaps inspire us to be better, more compassionate and loving people.

Edited by orangepeaceful79, 16 September 2012 - 01:13 PM.

#5    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,609 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

View Postmarkdohle, on 16 September 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

I kind of see the middle ground. The historicity of Jesus is there but it was also historically acceptable to mythicize. Even Christianity, aka its approach to the Bible, is not uniform even now but especially in the early centuries when so many groups had different beliefs. That the one group with the most military power decided on the "official version" only also sheds some light especially today when we can see our own government's narrative of war is not exactly accurate.

Of course one can understand it is a myth and choose to believe for the comfort it provides, and a part of their mind really does believe in God, while at the same time accepting how the Bible even came to be, who decided what books, and if it is really a problem there are more options than simply leaving a church, if you love the traditions and community, then don't, but if you are not particularly enamored of modern organized religion one can still choose many other interpretations and varieties of expression of worship, even borrow from the practices that early Christians, or even contemporary, have done or still do to make a highly customized approach to faith.

Edited by Chasingtherabbit, 16 September 2012 - 01:28 PM.

#6    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,332 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:35 PM

Strobel makes up fake stories to make points. How typical.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#7    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,663 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

It is a typical skeptic and theistic debate on Youtube.  Theologian doesn't seem to know anything about Greek or Roman mythology if he thinks there are no resurrection stories in them, but he wins the debate by virtue of getting more talk time even though much of what he says is not accurate.  I have an a copy of Plotinus' The Enneads and have read the whole thing and I know the part he is talking about. I never got the impression he was refering to Christ (Jesus). Nobody does except those grasping at straws.  The guy is a waste of a PhD that is for sure.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#8    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,238 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:29 PM

View PostChasingtherabbit, on 16 September 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

One day we will live in a society where one can believe the Bible is bogus but have no need to say it to those who believe it is not (respecting their beliefs).

Also a society where one can believe the Bible is sacred but have no need to try and convince those who think it is bogus and even respecting their beliefs.
Is the Bible bogus?  If that means a deliberate fraud, the answer is no.  The people who wrote it were expounding truth as they saw it.  The Bible is very much a product of its time and reflects the knowledge, thinking and world views of its authors.  The time(s) were just after the Babylonian Captivity for the OT and the early second century for the NT; although it was copied/paraphrased/retold, at least in part, from documents that had been around for a few hundred years already.

Can one find inspiration in it?  Absolutely.  But then, inspiration is where you find it, whether that is a moon-lit desert, a sunset over the Tetons, the pages of the New Yorker, or (especially) Playboy.  With the right mindset it is inspiring.

Should we respect the beliefs of others?  The irony of religion is that those who most-profoundly believe that the world will end, through their self-righteous dogma, may actually bring that about.  By no means are such views respectable.  It is time to respect the earth; it is our home, our only home.  We must learn to get along instead of acting like babies.  We must grow up - or die.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#9    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:54 PM

View PostDoug1o29, on 17 September 2012 - 07:29 PM, said:

We must grow up - or die.

Even if we never grew up.. we will still pop our clogs one way or another

#10    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:09 PM

Absolutely not. The Bible is the most credible, solid text that I have ever read. I would believe that over anything that Stephen Hawking, Richard Dawkins, Charles Darwin, Michio Kaku, or Albert Einstein ever said!!!!

#11    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:19 PM

View PostAlienated Being, on 18 September 2012 - 09:09 PM, said:

Absolutely not. The Bible is the most credible, solid text that I have ever read. I would believe that over anything that Stephen Hawking, Richard Dawkins, Charles Darwin, Michio Kaku, or Albert Einstein ever said!!!!

I am with Alienated Being  on this.. I  feel the exact same ..well except I have not heard of Michio Kaku ..lol :P

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 18 September 2012 - 09:28 PM.

#12    BaalZebul Nehebkau

BaalZebul Nehebkau

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 75 posts

• Lord of the Flies

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:55 PM

Is the Bible bogus? Absolutely, but there are, unfortunately, people who believe otherwise.

Lord of the Flies, Egyptian Snake God, whatever you want me to be. . . .

#13    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,267 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:52 AM

View PostChasingtherabbit, on 16 September 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

Until then we will continue with this stupidity: this tribal, backward thinking and a weak sense of ethnics that allows and even encourages to degrade what others hold sacred
You've been reading The Five Basic Rules of Stupidity, haven't you. I think was number 3. Started to post this, then wanted to be sure you knew I wasn't calling you stupid.

Edited by Beany, 19 September 2012 - 02:52 AM.

#14    Apopo

Apopo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 125 posts

• "Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the Creator of human intelligence."

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

Bogus? Of course it is.

"A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees"

#15    Poindexter

Poindexter

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

• Mwah

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:48 AM

The Bible is a Fairytale written by bored Arabs (Yes Arabs) Hundreds of years ago,, it is in the same Vein as that of King Arthur

Ewe cannot remove the Views and Opinions as written in the Bible,,, for Thousands of people all over the World would wake up within a Mindless enviornment with no continuity of Life,, The Bible and it's writings are their Life

Much like the birth right of all Americans,  Evangelical Religions and  Assault weapons

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users