Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strangle You in Your Sleep

Fate_happens

I remember when I was a kid I was at a sleep over and one of my friends told me that if you slept with a necklace on a man (ghost?) (she called him the Candy Man) would come into your room and strangle you in your sleep.

Now, obviously, this isn't true, because I sleep in necklaces all the time. She also must have been confused about the name of thr ghost since Candy Man is taked.

But has anybody ever heard anything like this, or is it something that she came up with on her own?

I have to say, I still think about it whenever I sleep in a necklace.

A lot of people have said they have been choked when waking up in bed, by some kind of shadow person. Some have made connections between that phenomena and sleep paralysis.

Jerry has hit it right on.

This happens to me all the time, but it's because I said the wrong woman's nam in my sleep & my wife is p***ed.

This happens to me all the time, but it's because I said the wrong woman's nam in my sleep & my wife is p***ed.

......lol :lol:

It's called sleep pralysis..... It's a very real phenomenon. Often people wake up with something choking them. Or sitting on their chest.

Edited by Seeker79

It's called sleep pralysis..... It's a very real phenomenon. Often people wake up with something choking them. Or sitting on their chest.

Exactly, but the story is also a way to tell kid not to sleep in necklaces, which is reasonable. Maybe threatening kids is not so reasonable, but... everyone has their own arguments.

Exactly, but the story is also a way to tell kid not to sleep in necklaces, which is reasonable. Maybe threatening kids is not so reasonable, but... everyone has their own arguments.

My guess is that the necklace bit was a sleep pralysis experience. Someone probably woke up in sp and had a vision and feeling of something choking them with their necklace, then told ohers. Funny thing about sp. Although certain elements are universal, there are cultural and belief elements inserted quite often.

My guess is that you tell a someone the legend, then one night they think about it, then end up waking up in sp....... The legend has a high probability of coming true.

• 5 months later...

Nightmare = Mora or Croatian language .

More is also one mythological being.

More usually sit downon the chest and strangle neck.

One girl in Croatia is reported that she was sleeping and she felt like someone choking her.

When she was awake she has bruises on her neck.

• Like 1

Well i will say i have heard this one before from a friend when i was in highschool, his grandmother told him this because he always slept with his on of course i thought it was nonsense. I have actually slept with necklaces on and i must say i've never had this sort of experience before, however i have noticed many times that my necklace is torn and it has happened twice already; when i looked back on it and tried to remember exactly what went on when i was sleeping i actually recall feeling a certain sense of discomfort feeling the necklace around my neck, truth is i was actually tearing my rosaries off while i was sleeping. :no: talk about a waste of moneyz.

I've been suffocated in bed,on more than one occasion,and it ONLY happens to me when I am in Japan.i also wake right up .Its not paralysis.

That being said ,there's a horror movie called Candy Man.Its old now.I believe it's based on an old urban legend.

I dont know how close it is to this.I forget the story now.

http://www.youtube.com/movie?v=i7Ynyjqhq54&ob=av1n&feature=mv_sr

I remember when I was a kid I was at a sleep over and one of my friends told me that if you slept with a necklace on a man (ghost?) (she called him the Candy Man) would come into your room and strangle you in your sleep.

Now, obviously, this isn't true, because I sleep in necklaces all the time. She also must have been confused about the name of thr ghost since Candy Man is taked.

But has anybody ever heard anything like this, or is it something that she came up with on her own?

I have to say, I still think about it whenever I sleep in a necklace.

Sounds to me like one of those tales that parents tells their kids to get them to take their necklaces off before bed.

But yes, sleep paralysis could be a cause as well as sleep apnea (one of the symptoms is that you wake up choking and gasping for breath).

I've been suffocated in bed,on more than one occasion,and it ONLY happens to me when I am in Japan.

Yes, those Japanese hookers can be a bit rough at times.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

• 4 weeks later...

Normally, when people sleep with there necklace on and experience the sensation of being strangled it's probably there necklace's getting tangled up. Or they are experiencing sleep paralysis.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never been strangled in my sleep, though the only necklaces I wear are cross pendants.

I'm curious, those who report being strangled in their sleep, is it centered on the neck, or the chest? As many already know, the phenomenon of a heavy weight on the chest is common in cases of sleep paralysis. I wonder how closely they are linked...

This has happened to me in the past and it is scary as hell. I wake up and I can't move my body just my eyes and it feels like someone's is laying on your chest. Other people I know have also had this experience

There is a viking myth about a hag that comes to you in your sleep and sits on your chest, the heavy feeling is her weight, then when you wake but are still unable to move she steels your breath as you exhale, Killing you. I read this in a book, The Giants of the Frost, and the girl in the book beat the hag by instead of breathing out she sucked in steeling the hag's breath and killing her.

Edited by designer