Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Credentials

eqgumby

I'm going to ask people to post a little here about their personal background and credentials.

The reason is because all too often folks talk about a subject like they know what they are saying. Sometimes it's because they do, others, not so much.

So post your background here, education, etc. then make a link of it and post it in your signature. That way, if you tell someone how to exorcise a demon, we can look at your sig link, and maybe read that you're a priest that has performed dozens of these ceremonies.

Keep it honest if you really want to have a discussion and not be dismissed as a kook. Nothing overly personal needed, just some basics. I'll do one.

• Like 1

I'm 40+, father and husband, owner of 2 dogs.

I've lived all over the country, East, West, South and North (Never any length of time in the North West).

I have worked on Avionics equipment for the military since 1984 in one capacity or another. Radar (weather and fire control), Altimeter, Nav Computers, Recorders, Infra Red Detectors, assorted Radios. I have worked on everything from Tankers and Black Hawks to F/A-18's and civilian aircraft.

Logistics work, and prototype installations and a little "reverse engineering".

Basically the guys with the slide-rules dream it up, and I wind up making usable (and fixable for that matter).

I have seen a UFO. No idea what it was.

I have never seen a ghost, or experienced what I would call a true haunting.

My wife is precognitive (we think via dreams, very odd and random) but we rarely adjust our lives around it.

I'm open but skeptical when it comes to unexplained mysteries in general.

I think most conspiracy theories are bologna.

Edited by eqgumby

put it in a questionaire form an I'll answer it :)

too much to write an autobiography, much is spread out among these forums, but can boil it down to "I'm just some dude" and let the words speak, if there's truth, I could have an IQ of 4 and it wouldn't matter.

I'm 40+, father and husband, owner of 2 dogs.

I've lived all over the country, East, West, South and North (Never any length of time in the North West).

I have worked on Avionics equipment for the military since 1984 in one capacity or another. Radar (weather and fire control), Altimeter, Nav Computers, Recorders, Infra Red Detectors, assorted Radios. I have worked on everything from Tankers and Black Hawks to F/A-18's and civilian aircraft.

Logistics work, and prototype installations and a little "reverse engineering".

Basically the guys with the slide-rules dream it up, and I wind up making usable (and fixable for that matter).

I have seen a UFO. No idea what it was.

I have never seen a ghost, or experienced what I would call a true haunting.

My wife is precognitive (we think via dreams, very odd and random) but we rarely adjust our lives around it.

I'm open but skeptical when it comes to unexplained mysteries in general.

I think most conspiracy theories are bologna.

I too am a father of two 45+ married over 25 yrs 2 dogs cat

I have lived south, north, central ,us as well as in Guam .

I have travelled extensivly all over europe and the pacific ocean

I was orginally In avionics, and alas the math was Kicking my ass! but as i stayed at a decent percentage level, i was allowed to cross rate to and ADJ or jet mechanic

Ass egg will know.......... i was what was known as a "Nosepicker" this of course was in the late seventies, and early eighties.

I mostly worked aimd, and flying in several SAR squadrons, as an aircrewman i have worked on f-4's, a-4's, f-14 tomcats ,and Huehy Uh1ns'

I was stationed in guam for almost 2 years and travelled the westpac circuit via hops and being crew on a flight

seems like yesterday although its been a hundred years

currently im the telecommunications end of the electrical feild, i am an electrician as well as a telecommunications technician

I have basically been in and around these occupations my entire life if its got wires im on it so to speak even if theyre are no wires

I too have seen a UFO could not explain it

I have seen as well as felt and communicated with spirits via audible knocks in reference to asked questions

I have "seen" a ghost in this building i speak of as well as have several other 40-55 year old men

Im extremly open minded and really will investigate any and all conspiracies much of its Bunk some of itsnt bunk

its all about being open to the possibilities..........i have been currently unemployed since may 2001 due to an injury

i spend most of my time doing what i just described so i have more time than most I hate television so i read read read

ill read all sides of a story and then make an opinion..............

I was raised in a haunted house at a very younge age and have been interested in the paranormal ever since. I've been a moderator on one of the first and largest ghosts sites for about three years and I've helped alot of people on the subject.

I also served in the U.S. Marines for a little over 4 years

I now work on web sites the links are on my siggy lol most of them deal with the paranormal and/or the unexplained

I'm a 32 year old male from South West Georgia, in the United States. I've worked shut-down construction most of my working life, which allows me brief periods of total freedom encapsulated by times of 7/12 workweeks. I have also worked in law enforcement for a time.

I am married and have no kids...yet.

Seven cats, one dog.

I am a private pilot who rents a plane from the local F.B.O. at my home town airport.

I enjoy flying, hiking, gardening and shooting. Although I don't hunt, I am very PRO-HUNTING!

I've seen lights in the sky four times. Three of which I was later able to identify.

I've never seen a ghost but, I believe that I may have heard one.

I don't watch much television because it is mostly tripe. I do watch some but, not much and nothing of the alphabet networks.

As a teen and early twentys, I played guitar, bass and drums from time to time in various local bands.

I just want to remind everybody that UM is a public forum before putting down information that can readily identify you IRL.

I just want to remind everybody that UM is a public forum before putting down information that can readily identify you IRL.

*Makes a note of Daughters reluctance to reveal her true identity*

Hey, it's my job! :innocent:

put it in a questionaire form an I'll answer it :)

too much to write an autobiography, much is spread out among these forums, but can boil it down to "I'm just some dude" and let the words speak, if there's truth, I could have an IQ of 4 and it wouldn't matter.

Your ability to use a keyboard and your still being alive really rule out the IQ of 4 bit.

• 2 weeks later...

ok real quick and short for now...

mom (70 yrs) Cherokee, Chi-Chi Meccan, Mexican, Spanish = pentecostal evangelical christian, daughter of preacher who in younger days rode with pancho villa (good stories), schoolteacher currently employed

dad (early 60's) English, German, Irish, Prussian, Scottish = avowed and adament atheist, pure logic, was linguist/"spy" in airforce mostly in communications, was 2nd head of johnson & johnson's accounting requireing him to live in Belgium for a time, currently works as consultant... responsible for some of the work on the networks at NASA and various Municipal services like local hospital and fire/police networks.

sis (43?)= born in Tripoli Libya, has rare form of dwarfism with many other complications, is about 12 years my senior, married to biochemist who is a high school teacher.

lived and learned in TX, GA, NJ, FL, spent time in Europe every summer with dad, visited many, many places and usually not as a tourist. Met king and pauper.

Always in advanced classes in school, always scored high, always sent back to normal classes because I would refuse to do homework for something I could make a 100 on the test on.

Started playing music at about 3 on piano, trumpet in 3rd grade, guitar in 5th. Took off from there to most instruments except reed instruments... and have performed more than a few recitals and solo performances. Made some $$ playing local bars (in teen years).

Am forgetting so much lol... read the entire unabridged dictionary and 2 full sets of encyclopedias Cover to Cover (and more... tellin ya, I LOVE to read) by the end of the 5th grade.

Was short about 7 hrs? 20 hrs? I forget... solo flight to get my private pilot's licence. Was never able to land very well... nearing the end of that training is where my homeless stint was so didn't have the $$ to continue at the time.

Been on missionary trips... where I would buy beer in Mexico... almost got myself married off there too at around 14 or 15... crazy experience...

Been beat up more times than I can count, for various reasons (like, sitting in someone's bar stool)... been stabbed, shot at, and done every drug I know of...

Have had "relations" with men and women and various fetishes and groups... my first "encounter" was at the age of 7... not counting what happend when I was 5 cause that seems like most people do that... been raped (as an adult).

expelled from TX when 18 until 21 for organized crime, only spent about a month in county jail

saved a girl from drowning once, am trained but not licenced as a lifeguard, know all the strokes and CPR/first aid etc...

Paranormal, most significant was the "Ghost" I saw as a child, somewhere between ages 7 - 9. Other more minor experiences. Both parents, who cannot live in the same state as eachother (ruthless divorce) agree they both witnessed a UFO together, both give the same story. So it's never been a question to me... it exsists. Odd things exsist.

TMI? At least I'm not going into details! :P

there's more but that's a brief.

Edit: was a Royal Ranger, Cub Scout, and Boy Scout. Did more with the rangers, never got my Eagle. was an "Explorer", related to the newspaper, learned all about the newspaper from the inside out and worked there in Jr. High school (volunteer). Also have operated a TV camera, been on commercials, modeled clothing for televised shows.

Edit2: Added parent origin

None of this qualifies me to be an expert on anything imo, but has given me many different perspectives to look at life and people... hope the rest of my life is fairly uneventful.

Edit3: Fed the babe and in back for smoke... adding networked a timex sinclair 1000 and a commodore vic 20 when was 13... worked in FL as an electrician's assistant, worked at the community college computer labs (helped pay for college) including mac lab, unix etc..., deep sea fished, shrimped, turned 21, lived on an island, worked at a convienience store/Subway sammich shop on the beach, attended biker convention in Bandera TX when 16 or 17, wrote web pages around 19 or 20, did some cable work laying network/phonelines in a wharehouse... worked as a roofer for a while then some construction for a few months... all this stuff brief mention but there's more than a few stories lol

more "wierd" stuff... heard voices during a meditation session when I got into taoism, used the ouiji and had a rotten time after... "Paj" was it's name. come across various wierd books/grimoires/whatnot, tried as many as possible all wreckless...

someone asked me on another forum (similar in nature) what interests me an here's copy/paste:

Well... Giants is the big one, Reptillians came out of looking into Giants. Not just Reptillians but "Centaurs" and "Minotaurs" and the "Pan"-like creatures. Personally I'm thinking it's all related to Nephilim and by coincidence possibly the whole Alien phenomena and it's wide-ranging aspects.

It's strange how so many different people arrive at the same subjects from a different biggining.

Also, as a different field that seems to meld into the others at distant points are "Geophysical Anomalies".

Things like "Ley Lines" and all it's different names and aspects, Vorticies, "Bermuda Triangle" and it's sisters, "Dead Zones" both the Biological and Geological.

Related interest is waves too, and how it seems to relate. Harmonics and the different frequencies, how it affects matter and energy. Which then goes into gravity, levitation, spirit, mind-control... and shapes.

That goes to how vocabulary relates to shapes and sounds, but also "intent" and physical expression of will. That relates to quantum observation, quantum entanglement, and certain magics. Then goes to secret societies and their esoterics, relating some to gnostics etc and then to traditions.

That can go into plants and/or astronomy and that can go into genetics and back to harmonics... and all the little tangents inbetween.

I like it all

So much to read, so little time.

Editagain: rode a goat when was 5, hunting started at 8 (9?)yrs., can ride/care for horse but am no expert at any of the above imo.

man if I ever need to write and autobio... I'm a freaking windbag, and this smoke is great. dunno about credentials tho, easier to say I'm just some dude. :P

married, 3 kids above ground 2 boy 1 girl and 2 under 1 boy 1 girl

Editzzz: talked to my mom earlier, she said was short 6 hours on solo flight so whatever, she's an optimist

Edited by Celumnaz

*Makes a note of Daughters reluctance to reveal her true identity*

Hey, it's my job! :innocent:

*puts on dark sunglasses*

:P

I was born in Northern Kentucky (Greater Cincinnati, Ohio) and was raised in two extremely pleasant small river town until age 35, when I moved to Cincinnati proper.

After high school I was hit hard by both Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and Clinical Depression. This prevented me from getting more than one year of college education.

However, I did not permit this to rob me of an education. I spent the next 42 years working as a dealer in new, used and rare books. Evenings and weekends I haunted public libraries. I developed deep and abiding friendships with individual who possessed Masters Degrees and Doctorates and "picked their brains" for information in their fields.

Edited by OldTimeRadio

I'm 50, engaged to a wonderful lady.

Born in Boston, living in Arkansas now.

I am an addict - 17 years clean (May 2007 will be 18).

I've never had any paranormal encounter - no ghosts, Bigfoot, nothing visible.

I have sensed unusual things in several places and do think hauntings are possible.

I'm skeptical of most paranormal claims.

I am a sanguinarian (blood feeding real vampire) hate the myths that go with vampires.

I know several who claim to be otherkin (feel that they are not entirely human) not sure I believe it as fact per se but, it is very real to them and, being a sanguinarian has taught me that science and medicine cannot explain everything about everyone or everything.

I am a rancher by trade.

Other than cattle, I own 4 horses, 5 Specialty breed turkeys (Blue Slate, Royal Palm, Bourbon Red), 1 goat, 3 dogs, 20-30 chickens (some are free range), and one hinny (donkey mother, horse father - mule is the other way around).

My hobbies include hunting, fishing, black powder and modern firearms, tanning and crafting with leather, reading (mostly non-fiction).

I watch very little T.V. and rarely watch a movie, if I do it's a western, war or horror movie - unless my love wants something else.

I listen to rock (mostly metal) and sometimes classical music. I also enjoy the Native American chants and ceremonial songs.

My dream paranormal experience would be to meet the ghosts of native and early Americans.

Hello, I am a 41 yr old house wife and mother of two boys, I live in Portland Oregon.

Presently I am going to school to get my high school diploma, and hope to work from their on my associates degree in computer science.

I have had an experience that would be considered strange,to say the least.

• 2 months later...

I have lived all over the world, with the exception of Australia and South America. My favorite locations were Japan, Greece and the United Kingdom.

Since 1960, I have worked in Military Intelligence and Security, having taken my first degree in Chinese language at Yale’s Institute of Far Eastern Languages (had to go back to finish it out to a true BA), my second degree in History at UT and my final degree in Computer Technology at TSTC. I worked originally as a translator for the old USAF Security Service and later in Strategic Air Command’s Recon program with the RC135M/V. During Vietnam, I flew on 428 combat missions as a “back seater” in the O1E Forward Air Control (FAC) aircraft. Presently I am the Security Program Manager for a Federal/Military Law Enforcement Unit.

I have seen a UFO and likewise have no idea what it really was, but got a clear daylight view of it.

I lived in a haunted barracks in Feltwell UK (RAF Feltwell) and had several incidents with the entity that we called “Herbie”. I have seen what I believe might have been a “La Chusa”, that Mexican “Witch Bird” and still can’t explain away what I saw.

Like Egg, I am open but skeptical of unexplained mysteries.

I think conspiracy theories are bologna..it is simply impossible for more than 3 people to keep leak-proof secrets, let alone large organizations keeping them!

was linguist/"spy" in airforce mostly in communications,

Celumnaz, ask your dad what units…we may have crossed paths, although he was probably a little later than me.

I have lived all over the world, with the exception of Australia and South America. My favorite locations were Japan, Greece and the United Kingdom.

Since 1960, I have worked in Military Intelligence and Security, having taken my first degree in Chinese language at Yale’s Institute of Far Eastern Languages (had to go back to finish it out to a true BA), my second degree in History at UT and my final degree in Computer Technology at TSTC. I worked originally as a translator for the old USAF Security Service and later in Strategic Air Command’s Recon program with the RC135M/V. During Vietnam, I flew on 428 combat missions as a “back seater” in the O1E Forward Air Control (FAC) aircraft. Presently I am the Security Program Manager for a Federal/Military Law Enforcement Unit.

I have seen a UFO and likewise have no idea what it really was, but got a clear daylight view of it.

I lived in a haunted barracks in Feltwell UK (RAF Feltwell) and had several incidents with the entity that we called “Herbie”. I have seen what I believe might have been a “La Chusa”, that Mexican “Witch Bird” and still can’t explain away what I saw.

Like Egg, I am open but skeptical of unexplained mysteries.

I think conspiracy theories are bologna..it is simply impossible for more than 3 people to keep leak-proof secrets, let alone large organizations keeping them!

Celumnaz, ask your dad what units…we may have crossed paths, although he was probably a little later than me.

Thanks for the post Mako.

• 1 month later...

I am a 47 year old american/european woman with an above average IQ.

I love books,science,philosophy,music,traveling,dancing and nature.

I have lived in Europe & the US an equal amount of time. I would loved to have emigrated to New Zealand.

I also have ADHD (might matter).

I am "extremely" intuitive and have had numerous amazing experiences that had started in my teens through adulthood

which has frightened but equally impressed family and friends (and myself of course). Too many to post all at once.

I also have seen UFO's but don't know what they really were.

I am an agnostic,Freethinker and rationalist. This may seem contradictory but I believe there is a logical answer for all my experiences but i may never know these answers in my time. These experiences haunt me and leave me little peace of mind.

I am still very sceptical regardless, and feel there is much deception out there.

I'm glad that my son turned me on to this site. he is also a forum member.

Edited by momentarylapseofreason

Like this thread :)

Definately nothing special about me, about as ordinary as ordinary come. Average IQ, average in school, average everything.

Almost 30ish female, originally from Sweden, but now married and living in Northern Ireland with my darling hubby and our 2 furkids. Nightmist on here is my best friend, we've know eachother for years and she's class :nw:

Apparantly the area where I now live used to be an old airfield and is supposedly haunted.

I think I've seen a ghost once, but apart from that, I'm as receptive/sensitive/whatever you want to call it, as a rock.

I try to stay open minded, and think I manage most of the time.

Love reading about paranormal stuff, came across this site by accident, and love it. I don't always know what I'm talking about, but I'll still give you my opinion. ;)

Recently lost my dad, which has made me question life after death and all that..

Raised lutheran, not really actively religious, I don't pray, but God gives me comfort.

Put simply, I like to believe... (and yes, some may call it gullible!)

Edited by Dewlanna

Hmmm...

Well, I'm a 40 year old mother to a 20 year old daughter who is half Roma (gypsy) and I raised her primarily by myself, even though I was married to her step father for roughly 14 years.

I work in the software industry, and have since 1993. From 1987-1993, I was a store manager for the Starbucks Coffee Company, I was employee #101 (only 11 stores at the time!). In 1986 and '87, I worked as a state certified Rx Tech. Today, I primarily consider myself a Web developer, but over the years have done everything from Network Operations management to simple program management. Currently I manage internal technical and marketing communications for one of the worlds largest software product lines and corporations. My former husband is also in Software, but when we married, he was a merchant seaman working on ocean going tug boats (mostly in Alaska, Hawaii, San Diego, and Panama). I've visited every continent except Antartica and Africa. I'll never know how I missed Africa. My daughter and I spent a vast majority of our travel time in Japan, India, England, Singapore, Thailand, and Malaysia.

I've lived and traveled all over the world for work and because of that, I decided early on to "unschool" my daughter. It's different from homeschooling--it's even less structured. Today she's a Sr. at University and is setting her sights on using a scholarship for an overseas university. She is a Computer Graphics and Animation major with a minor in Asian Studies. Her post grad work will be an MBA (she thinks). Unschooling allowed me to keep her with me while I was on the road for work.

I was raised a vegan and in the yogaic disciplines by hippy trippy parents who are totally awesome. For 2 months, I lived in a southern India Ashram. My baby sister is a doctor of Audiology.

I call Washington State home, my maternal grandmothers family is one of the oldest families in the state going back about 8 generations (4 generations still living!). My maternal grandfather's family were all from bayou country in deep Mississippi and Louisiana.

My paternal family is shrouded in mystery, my grandfather was Choctaw indian but refused to claim his heritage. My grandmother was from a well known S. Dakota Danish family. My paternal grandmother was university educated and was a painter/artist. My paternal grandfather was a welder and rancher, and illiterate.

I used to race cars (SCCA) and teach performance driving. I raised parrots for several years. I like to read a lot (fiction only) and I bead weave and make jewelry. I love all water sports and try to spend my summer weekends jet skiing and wakeboarding.

I have close childhood friends who are in the music industry and are very well known from the pre-grunge and grunge era :lol: .

I love Urban Legends and sometimes paranormal topics interest me, but I'm largely a skeptic. (I used to listen to coast to coast before it was a paranormal show!)

I'm a Quaker by faith, but frequently take up with my Mennonite brothers and sisters to keep things interesting.

Edited by MissMelsWell

No formal education

I'm always right (except for my first wife....)

Arguably the worlds smartest mule, certainly the smartest mule for my weightclass...

I work in an auto industry steel forge (practice for the afterlife)

I coach football

I'm a musician

I don't beleive in anything.

I'm so far to the left politically that sometimes I'm on the right

I'm always right (except for my first wife...)

Edited by The Mule

Nice to see some familiar faces here, thanks for posting on my supposedly dead thread. Necro-posting is NOT always bad I guess!

I am 35 with 2 kids and a wife.

Oh and 2 dogs.lol

I am in real estate in Dallas.

Of course I am a skeptic, BUT:

I saw a UFO as a kid. Don't know what it was.

When I was living in Alabama as a kid, a friend and I were up in a tree and thought we saw a bigfoot about 20 yards away. We ran away terrified. It fit every description of a bigfoot. Looking back I guess it might have been a bear. As a child I thought I saw glowing eyes(probably a dream). As a teenager I believed in vampires.

I am now a skeptic and proud of it. I can't wait for the day that I can see the paranormal verified. Once the market picks back up I would like to buy some ghost detecting equipment(EMF, etc.) and go try to see some things for myself.

Edited by Eric Raven The Skeptic

Oh, God! Do I have to?

No, but I thought long ago it was a good idea. Too many times people assume that you are 12 years old when you are 40, or vice-versa. This is just a good place to say..."Uhhh, actually I AM a Dr. of Mathematics." when confronted with the inevitable naysayers howling away saying "Who the hell are YOU to tell me such and such, what are you, a friggin Doctor!?" Or "As a matter of fact, I am the Pope!"