Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Religious row as Orthodox Jewish couple

itsnotoutthere

Religious row as Orthodox Jewish couple sue neighbours for 'imprisoning' them with automatic hallway light

A Jewish couple are suing their neighbours in a block of flats, saying an automatic security light is keeping them prisoner in their home because it forces them to break their Sabbath rules.

Dr Dena Coleman and husband Gordon claim they cannot leave their holiday flat on the Sabbath because when they do they automatically trigger the light in the communal hallway - contravening

a religious ban on turning on electrical items from sunset on Friday to sunset on Saturday because it constitutes 'creating fire'.

Link :- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11...lway-light.html

As if the courts haven't got enough real criminals to deal with. Actually I think the only line you need to read is :-

They say their human rights are being breached and are now suing the flats' management company - their neighbours - for failing to accommodate their religion.

or

The couple said they would drop the case if an override switch was installed and the management company paid their legal costs and compensation.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• Lord Umbarger

• itsnotoutthere

• __Kratos__

Ayatollahs of the world: Unite!

I saw this one a few minutes ago when I was digging through a few news sites. I guess this is just another example of someone with a firm conviction of faith taking it a little too far.

Personally, I think that they should have followed the lead of that other gruop of Jews that just went out and started a new search engine so that they could have their cake and eat it too.

If you can't deal with the way that the Romans do things, move the hell away and find another place to live where the folks are of the same mindset.

In all truth, they are simply out to sue for the money. I seriously doubt that they are all that faithful. If they really wanted to do the "Jewish" thing, they'd get off their butts and offer to pay for the modifications themselves. It's kind of hard to refuse an offer when the "offended" party puts up the money to pay for the changes themselves.

To the Jewish couple: Pi$$ off!!

Human rights my ar$e.

Ayatollahs of the world: Unite!

Dyslectics of the world: Untie!

Diaretics of the world.... uh, one minute, be right back.....

If they really wanted to do the "Jewish" thing, they'd get off their butts and offer to pay for the modifications themselves.

Sorry, but from the little I know about the mindset of fanatics, this is not about the lights... nor is it about money. This is about being recognized as somebody especially holy....

I bet a dollar that they could not care less about the outcome of the court proceedings.

Then again..... is there something like a Jewish Saint?

Sorry, but from the little I know about the mindset of fanatics, this is not about the lights... nor is it about money. This is about being recognized as somebody especially holy....

I bet a dollar that they could not care less about the outcome of the court proceedings.

I'd hate to take that bet seeing as how that could very well be the case. Maybe they just want someone to praise them for being so "self rightous".

Here, I'll end the whole ugly business for them...."Good Jews, take an extra bagel out of petty cash". There, everyone happy? Now, turn on the DAMN LIGHTS!

Then again..... is there something like a Jewish Saint?
Not exactly but, there is a history of Jewish martyrs through out history. I'm sure that these two will probably not go down in the annels of highly respected jewish leaders.

Not exactly but, there is a history of Jewish martyrs through out history. I'm sure that these two will probably not go down in the annels of highly respected jewish leaders.

That was rhetoric, but thanks for the answer...

I still own a kippah, not to go to the temple but to p*** off the one or other Nazi if needed.

That was rhetoric, but thanks for the answer...
I sort of thought that was in humor but, I still wanted to fill in that blank for those that might not know. Gave me a chuckle anyway! LOL!

I still own a kippah, not to go to the temple but to p*** off the one or other Nazi if needed.
You scamp, you! LOL! I still have a bunch of them around here too but, I haven't been to Temple in over ten years now myself.

WHOOPS! Double post! Sorry, Mods!

Edited by Lord Umbarger

In all truth, they are simply out to sue for the money. I seriously doubt that they are all that faithful. If they really wanted to do the "Jewish" thing, they'd get off their butts and offer to pay for the modifications themselves. It's kind of hard to refuse an offer when the "offended" party puts up the money to pay for the changes themselves.

They did offer to pay for modifications to have a switch in place for them.

The Colemans have offered to pay for an override switch to disable the light sensors during the Sabbath.

But the Embassy Court Management Company - which represents all residents and whose three directors also live in the block - said this would set an 'unacceptable precedent'.

I agree with the company. And really if they switch the light off, how do the others get light? They're just suppose to walk around in the dark or carry flashlights around for them?

They're just suppose to walk around in the dark or carry flashlights around for them?

Can't switch one of them either.. thas work....

Can't switch one of them either.. thas work....

I meant for the other people living there. The suing couple can stub their toes and smash their knees into random crap all they want as far as I care :P

They did offer to pay for modifications to have a switch in place for them.
Whoops! Sorry, I must have over looked that part.

Still, if they are willing to pay for the modifications that would negate them having to turn the lights on, that's only a prt of the issue. Of course, there would be the added expense of a light that doesn't turn off burning all Sabbath for 24 hours straight. Are they willing to pay for that bill as well?

I meant for the other people living there. The suing couple can stub their toes and smash their knees into random crap all they want as far as I care :P

Hey, those orthodox throw stones at you if you happen to drive through their neighborhoods on Saturdays...

ED: forgot the reference to the reason... :D

Edited by questionmark

this is an old joke but...

2 dyslexics down a hole digging.

one says to the other, "can you smell gas?"

"smell gas?" the other says.... "i can't even smell my name!"

this is an old joke but...

2 dyslexics down a hole digging.

one says to the other, "can you smell gas?"

"smell gas?" the other says.... "i can't even smell my name!"

:lol::lol:

... :huh: .... umm, if they can't be leaving their home because of an automatic light in a shared hallway, then where, exactly, are they heading for in the first place? If it's an apartment/housing complex run by some sort of management, you can almost guarantee there's a main light outside around the common entry area. They'd have to get past that next. Even if there is no main entry light, what abt streetlights?

Where are these people going, I wonder....for what purpose could they possibly want to head out into this evil world of lights of fire, which are very common everywhere, if not to their own doom from defying God himself? It boggles my mind!!!

Does anyone know how far an orthodox Jew should be from any source of light in order to be considered far enough no to defy God?

In all truth, they are simply out to sue for the money. I seriously doubt that they are all that faithful.

Yeah, you'd think. But then, I heard a story in Israel, where they had to install traffic lights that automatically took account of pedestrians on the Sabbath because the poor buggers couldn't press the button to cross the road.

... :huh: .... umm, if they can't be leaving their home because of an automatic light in a shared hallway, then where, exactly, are they heading for in the first place? If it's an apartment/housing complex run by some sort of management, you can almost guarantee there's a main light outside around the common entry area. They'd have to get past that next. Even if there is no main entry light, what abt streetlights?

Where are these people going, I wonder....for what purpose could they possibly want to head out into this evil world of lights of fire, which are very common everywhere, if not to their own doom from defying God himself? It boggles my mind!!!

Does anyone know how far an orthodox Jew should be from any source of light in order to be considered far enough no to defy God?

Oh, I'm pretty sure they can go under lights. They just can't switch one on, even automatically.

Edited by Ins0mniac

If the hall lights were removed & one of them later tripped & broke a leg because of poor lighting, do you think they would both have a good laugh & put it down to experience or do you think they'd sue the a$$ off the management company on health & safety grounds?

Are there any orthodox jews on this forum & if so do you also sit in the dark every saturday night?

Oh, I'm pretty sure they can go under lights. They just can't switch one on, even automatically.

I suppose they can't open their fridge for any reason during that time either, then. Can't use a microwave....hmmm,I bet if I mull over it some, I can think of lots of things they shouldn't be able to do, if they feel they have to nitpick.

Are there any orthodox jews on this forum & if so do you also sit in the dark every saturday night?

Easy to identify, they never post on Saturday.

Well if they're that friggin' sensitive I guess they'd better stay indoors. Maybe they should just fulfill their ultimate dream and move into an unlit isolation tank.

My sympathy for this type of thing approaches absolute zero.