Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Israel a no-show at U.N. human rights review

jugoso

"This is a rather unique step which has never happened in the past," said German U.N. Ambassador Hanns Heinrich Schumacher.

But after a debate, the council unanimously agreed to defer the review until its next session in October and November at the latest. It could also take it up earlier.

Henczel said the compromise would set a precedent for "how to deal with all cases of non-cooperation" in the future.

All U.N. nations are required to submit to Human Rights Council review every four years. The council's spokesman, Rolando Gomez, said once previously Haiti did not appear for its review but provided a reason.

U.S. diplomats have said the council is too focused on Israel. Israel, meanwhile, said last year that it would stop cooperating with the council because of its plans for a fact-finding mission on Israeli settlements in the West Bank and East Jerusalem.

• Like 5

Would this be the same human rights council headed by Iran, Syria or Sudan? Bit of a joke, no? The bit about refusing to cooperate on the settlement issue is self serving I admit but what is the point? No real value in a Kangaroo court and it's just a national exercise of what Americans call the fifth amendment. Why should the Israelis be forced to help create a report that totally condemns their every move? Kudos to Israel - and Hasina, the sanctions are coming I'm sure. It will be interesting to see who upholds them and who breaks them :)

They're God's people, they only have to answer to Him...

Edited by WHO U KIDDIN
  • Like 5

Would this be the same human rights council headed by Iran, Syria or Sudan?

No, It would be this Human Rights Council.

The members of the General Assembly elect the members who occupy the UNHRC's forty-seven seats. The General Assembly takes into account the candidate States’ contribution to the promotion and protection of human rights, as well as their voluntary pledges and commitments in this regard. The term of each seat is three years, and no member may occupy a seat for more than two consecutive terms. The seats are distributed among the UN's regional groups as follows: 13 for Africa, 13 for Asia, six for Eastern Europe, eight for Latin America and the Caribbean (GRULAC), and seven for the Western European and Others Group (WEOG). The previous CHR had a membership of 53 elected by the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) through a majority of those present and voting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Human_Rights_Council

List of members

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_members_of_the_United_Nations_Commission_on_Human_Rights

, the sanctions are coming I'm sure.

I´m sure more sanctions are coming for the Palestinians too! :rofl:

Israel is a failed State. They only exist through violence. It's no wonder they avoid criticism. They're guilty and they know it.

• Like 7

I´m sure more sanctions are coming for the Palestinians too!

Someone throw a rock again ? Dent a tank parked at the checkpoint ? Yeah lets take away there food and medicine.

http://samimajed.fil...07/02/faris.jpg

• Like 4

Israel is a failed State. They only exist through violence. It's no wonder they avoid criticism. They're guilty and they know it.

Meh...cry me a river - if it grieves the world so much then why are the Palis having to BEG for a few hundred million to survive? They have every Muslim state from Algeria to Jordan, Saudi Arabia to Syria imploring the world on their behalf but barely give them scraps to survive, and why? So they can blame Israel - that "failed state" that has blossomed and created a democracy, multiple scientific advances and a thriving economy in what had been a cesspool while the Muslims squatted on it. I will agree with you on the one point though - were it not for violence Israel wouldn't exist because those wonderful folk that everyone here are so sympathetic to would create a bloodbath and kill or deport every man, woman and baby. If you are going to deny it then maybe you'd better redirect the world's attention from what they are doing TO EACH OTHER in Syria just now.

Meh...cry me a river - if it grieves the world so much then why are the Palis having to BEG for a few hundred million to survive? They have every Muslim state from Algeria to Jordan, Saudi Arabia to Syria imploring the world on their behalf but barely give them scraps to survive, and why? So they can blame Israel - that "failed state" that has blossomed and created a democracy, multiple scientific advances and a thriving economy in what had been a cesspool while the Muslims squatted on it. I will agree with you on the one point though - were it not for violence Israel wouldn't exist because those wonderful folk that everyone here are so sympathetic to would create a bloodbath and kill or deport every man, woman and baby. If you are going to deny it then maybe you'd better redirect the world's attention from what they are doing TO EACH OTHER in Syria just now.

Tís true. If Palestine had a sugar daddy like Israel has had lo these many years, they would be in a much better position now. The huge sums of money that the US have given Israel in conjunction with their abusive use of veto power at the UN despite the wishes of the overwheming majority of countries has been the major factor in causing the present day situation.

Check out this list of the number of vetoes by the US of UN resolutions against Israel. I would paste them but there are just too damn many.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/UN/usvetoes.html.

• Like 4

This presumption that because people share a common characteristic they should therefore take care of each other is inherently bigoted. So white people should take care of other people because they're white. Christian people should make sure that there aren't any Christians out there living in poverty or hungry? Please. That's so Zionist and gross. How about we all just learn how to respect our common humanity regardless of what color skin, ethnicity, religion or shoe size we are? I've been saying this for years here and apparently it still hasn't resonated with you yet.

• Like 6

This presumption that because people share a common characteristic they should therefore take care of each other is inherently bigoted. So white people should take care of other people because they're white. Christian people should make sure that there aren't any Christians out there living in poverty or hungry? Please. That's so Zionist and gross. How about we all just learn how to respect our common humanity regardless of what color skin, ethnicity, religion or shoe size we are? I've been saying this for years here and apparently it still hasn't resonated with you yet.

Ever hear of "Arab" unity or Muslim brotherhood? They use such terms themselves frequently. Empty rhetoric I guess but it sure sounds fine doesn't it? Especially when they are using it in diatribes against Israel. The best part of all is that if by some magic Israel could be defeated and removed from their midst, a war would begin between her neighbors over the land and the Palestinians still would get nothing. You gotta love it. I wonder what the UN would do in that case.....

Ever hear of "Arab" unity or Muslim brotherhood? They use such terms themselves frequently. Empty rhetoric I guess but it sure sounds fine doesn't it? Especially when they are using it in diatribes against Israel. The best part of all is that if by some magic Israel could be defeated and removed from their midst, a war would begin between her neighbors over the land and the Palestinians still would get nothing. You gotta love it. I wonder what the UN would do in that case.....

What terms "they" use doesn't excuse you for presuming bigotry upon them as if it's expected or a good thing. You'd be scrambling up a stolen olive tree in five minutes after the Muslim Brotherhood suddenly started paying a great deal of attention to their Palestinian neighbors. Stop asking for things you don't have the first shred of interest in receiving. Disingenuous.

• Like 3

Bad move by Israel. If everyone needs to do this then there's no reason for them not to attend. And if there is a reason they should give one.

Bad move by Israel. If everyone needs to do this then there's no reason for them not to attend. And if there is a reason they should give one.

Kinda like making a date with your SO. Then not showing up. Theres gonna be heck to pay when you get home.

What terms "they" use doesn't excuse you for presuming bigotry upon them as if it's expected or a good thing. You'd be scrambling up a stolen olive tree in five minutes after the Muslim Brotherhood suddenly started paying a great deal of attention to their Palestinian neighbors. Stop asking for things you don't have the first shred of interest in receiving. Disingenuous.

Not at all disingenuous Yam. I never said I'd be happy if their neighbors united in hatred with them to try and force Israel off their land. And I think my meaning should have been crystal on that point. It's the same tired story. If we are to talk of being less than genuine perhaps you'd care to explain how Israelis giving up so much land that they could no longer practically defend their homes and country would be conducive to peace? Especially when their enemies DAILY advocate their destruction? You guys never answer that one. And it's because you KNOW the answer and it's not palatable even for Palestinian supporters who are otherwise reasonable, fair minded persons.

The IDF is capable of unbelievable destruction if unleashed. The US army would be reluctant to take them on. Yet they use that force grudgingly and like a scalpel when they have to. The reason they have such latitude is that they have enough land to provide a couple of minutes warning. Take that away and everything gets set on a hair trigger and also calls for massive, heavily destructive responses when threats come. This is logic, yet it gets ignored because it's just not FAIR!! :cry: :passifier:

Not at all disingenuous Yam. I never said I'd be happy if their neighbors united in hatred with them to try and force Israel off their land. And I think my meaning should have been crystal on that point. It's the same tired story. If we are to talk of being less than genuine perhaps you'd care to explain how Israelis giving up so much land that they could no longer practically defend their homes and country would be conducive to peace? Especially when their enemies DAILY advocate their destruction? You guys never answer that one. And it's because you KNOW the answer and it's not palatable even for Palestinian supporters who are otherwise reasonable, fair minded persons.

The IDF is capable of unbelievable destruction if unleashed. The US army would be reluctant to take them on. Yet they use that force grudgingly and like a scalpel when they have to. The reason they have such latitude is that they have enough land to provide a couple of minutes warning. Take that away and everything gets set on a hair trigger and also calls for massive, heavily destructive responses when threats come. This is logic, yet it gets ignored because it's just not FAIR!! :cry: :passifier:

You are such a Zionist fanboy.

Israel does not have to give up "so much land that they could no longer practically defend themselves." They do have to share and if that means in your view that can't defend themselves, well if they are sharing there won't be a need to defend, it is called compromise.

Their enemes advocate destruction? Please, you are right IDF can do lots of damage, they already have.

In the end they will have to compromise and share, the land is not just theirs. You praise their democracy yet they only extend it to themselves and no others living there. Their technological advances, oh God, as if that has anything to do with anything. You act as if the world would suffer without their bullying presence. When they can act like reasonable adults, answer for their questionable actions, and show some accountability then they will be welcome at the world table.

Israel is a pariah state whose greatest ally is ever weakening. They won't last forever as is, ruining their neighbors, and guess what the world won't end, Jesus won't come back, we will just have a better world.

Edited by I believe you
  • Like 4

The IDF is capable of unbelievable destruction if unleashed. The US army would be reluctant to take them on. Yet they use that force grudgingly and like a scalpel when they have to.:cry: :passifier:

Dont kid yourself! israell isnt some sort of almighty army capable of withstanding anything. The usa would absolutley decimate israel in a conflict, the only hesitation would be due to israels nuclear program, hell its why the usa is reluctant to attack pakistan.

According to global firepowers site israel is only marginally better off than eygpts current army lol?

You are such a Zionist fanboy.

Israel does not have to give up "so much land that they could no longer practically defend themselves." They do have to share and if that means in your view that can't defend themselves, well if they are sharing there won't be a need to defend, it is called compromise.

Their enemes advocate destruction? Please, you are right IDF can do lots of damage, they already have.

In the end they will have to compromise and share, the land is not just theirs. You praise their democracy yet they only extend it to themselves and no others living there. Their technological advances, oh God, as if that has anything to do with anything. You act as if the world would suffer without their bullying presence. When they can act like reasonable adults, answer for their questionable actions, and show some accountability then they will be welcome at the world table.

Israel is a pariah state whose greatest ally is ever weakening. They won't last forever as is, ruining their neighbors, and guess what the world won't end, Jesus won't come back, we will just have a better world.

Yup - straight up Zionist fanboy here :w00t: no shame at all in that for me friend. Prior to '67 the middle of the country was 9 miles wide. In a battle that amount of territory is indefensible by conventional means - do you understand that and what the implications are? Try to leave aside your desire that Israel be removed from the map - it will never happen. From a practical POV, no country that is threatened with extinction by it's neighbors is going to relax and just let nature take it's course so what you get with a greatly reduced Israel is a greatly increased Israeli threat of war. And the Palestinians don't want the '67 borders. They want the borders the PLO was formed to "liberate" which is ALL THE LAND. I predict that the world is going to push Israel right into a war that will end with them GAINING land :tu:

Yup - straight up Zionist fanboy here :w00t: no shame at all in that for me friend. Prior to '67 the middle of the country was 9 miles wide. In a battle that amount of territory is indefensible by conventional means - do you understand that and what the implications are? Try to leave aside your desire that Israel be removed from the map - it will never happen. From a practical POV, no country that is threatened with extinction by it's neighbors is going to relax and just let nature take it's course so what you get with a greatly reduced Israel is a greatly increased Israeli threat of war. And the Palestinians don't want the '67 borders. They want the borders the PLO was formed to "liberate" which is ALL THE LAND. I predict that the world is going to push Israel right into a war that will end with them GAINING land :tu:

There will be no war like that, this is less of a prediction on your part than it is a desire for you and fundamentalist company.

Lot prayed that God would spare the people if righteous men existed, you can trust more than a couple exist in the placed you would like to see nuked, I choose Lot as a better example.

The destruction you seek for others will not come. Israel is backwards and thinks making peace would mean war, so they make war to keep peace, backwards. You don't bring about peace by war just as you can't bring cold by adding hot.

Edited by I believe you
  • Like 4

There will be no war like that, this is less of a prediction on your part than it is a desire for you and fundamentalist company.

Lot prayed that God would spare the people if righteous men existed, you can trust more than a couple exist in the placed you would like to see nuked, I choose Lot as a better example.

The destruction you seek for others will not come. Israel is backwards and thinks making peace would mean war, so they make war to keep peace, backwards. You don't bring about peace by war just as you can't bring cold by adding hot.

You do not know me or what I desire. I have never advocated such things happen, merely stated my belief that they will. Because you have a bias, obviously, against someone of my mindset you feel you can destroy my argument by impugning me personally and it's a lame tactic. I seek no destruction for others but I believe in scripture and I think it's proven accurate throughout Israel's existence. Those that come against them are going to LOSE. The reality - since you seem so interested to prove I'm out of touch with it - is that Israel should have been destroyed several times since it's birth. If you think that Obama potentially withdrawing US support will be the end of Israel then you are greatly mistaken. All it will accomplish is to embolden them and make them less risk averse. And since we will surely never agree on this I will just leave you with one thing to ponder - Israel has a population approximately .001 of the world. One one thousandth. The UN has used about 1/3 of all their pronouncements against this state. The hatred for it is so uniform that a solid block can be counted on to vote against them if Israel was accused of causing the sun to set. 60,000 people have been slaughtered by their president just a few miles from Israel's borders and the world is in more of an uproar over Israel not allowing a fact finding kangaroo court in the settlements than they are looking to the causes of all that death. Does that not seem the slightest bit odd to you? This tiniest fraction of humanity is looked upon with a ferocity that is supernatural. There is no other excuse for it. And all the death and misery that you say I'm looking forward to? When it comes it will be brought on by those like you who wish to see Israel destroyed. That's the ultimate irony to me.

You do not know me or what I desire. I have never advocated such things happen, merely stated my belief that they will. Because you have a bias, obviously, against someone of my mindset you feel you can destroy my argument by impugning me personally and it's a lame tactic. I seek no destruction for others but I believe in scripture and I think it's proven accurate throughout Israel's existence. Those that come against them are going to LOSE. The reality - since you seem so interested to prove I'm out of touch with it - is that Israel should have been destroyed several times since it's birth. If you think that Obama potentially withdrawing US support will be the end of Israel then you are greatly mistaken. All it will accomplish is to embolden them and make them less risk averse. And since we will surely never agree on this I will just leave you with one thing to ponder - Israel has a population approximately .001 of the world. One one thousandth. The UN has used about 1/3 of all their pronouncements against this state. The hatred for it is so uniform that a solid block can be counted on to vote against them if Israel was accused of causing the sun to set. 60,000 people have been slaughtered by their president just a few miles from Israel's borders and the world is in more of an uproar over Israel not allowing a fact finding kangaroo court in the settlements than they are looking to the causes of all that death. Does that not seem the slightest bit odd to you? This tiniest fraction of humanity is looked upon with a ferocity that is supernatural. There is no other excuse for it. And all the death and misery that you say I'm looking forward to? When it comes it will be brought on by those like you who wish to see Israel destroyed. That's the ultimate irony to me.

The ultimate irony to you, and the ultimate contradiction from you.

Yes, you state your belief that they will, and that's the point where your own position diverges into two irreconcilable paths. On one hand, nobody can alter the prophecy. It's set in stone by God and nothing man can do, can change it. And on the other hand, you advocate for policies that are creating the situation that you're using to predict your Biblical apocalypse. If the policies and ideologies of this regrettable century of blood and violence is what's bringing about the end you think is in store, and you support that status quo, then 'I believe you' is right, and you do advocate for that end by advocating for the means to that end.

*snip*

Edited by Paranoid Android
Removed offensive remark
  • Like 3

The ultimate irony to you, and the ultimate contradiction from you.

Yes, you state your belief that they will, and that's the point where your own position diverges into two irreconcilable paths. On one hand, nobody can alter the prophecy. It's set in stone by God and nothing man can do, can change it. And on the other hand, you advocate for policies that are creating the situation that you're using to predict your Biblical apocalypse. If the policies and ideologies of this regrettable century of blood and violence is what's bringing about the end you think is in store, and you support that status quo, then 'I believe you' is right, and you do advocate for that end by advocating for the means to that end.

And we all know how righteous that world is..... Say anything you like Yam but explaining a belief of future events is not the same as actively working to make them come to pass. If by "advocating" you mean speaking of them in a positive tone then I guess you're correct. But I have no desire to see a single Palestinian die. And if they were capable of compromise, fewer would. The sad thing is that I have suspicions that they are as powerless to change their path as Pharaoh was. I don't claim to understand the plan of God but I do believe what the Bible says about this time we are in and I fully expect these things to happen. I Believe You was attacking me personally for my voicing my beliefs. It's a lame thing to do. If I were the one creating these events I could rightly be blamed but I can barely get my dog to do as I wish. The point is that those who feel as you do - a very great number apparently - want Israel gone and probably that wouldn't be enough either. Punished too I imagine. And you are frustrated because the justice you seek is with held. Rest easy, God is not mocked. Is it not enough that 2/3 of all Israel will die in this time to come? Edited by Paranoid Android
edited quote

face it... we all can see the vitrolic religiousn extremist sentiment oozing no matter how much back peddling and pandering is performed.... it's all on record bro

Edited by acidhead
  • Like 3

perhaps you'd care to explain how Israelis giving up so much land that they could no longer practically defend their homes and country would be conducive to peace?

Israel has never given up one square inch of Israeli land to anybody. If you're talking about giving up the West Bank or Gaza, then you just admitted once again your true position on this issue. That Israel cannot practically defend itself with Palestine existing on the map. You expose your true feelings that Greater Israel is the final solution for Israel's manufactured security threat.

Especially when their enemies DAILY advocate their destruction?

You're exaggerating your opinion by making claims there's just no evidence of. Maybe you subscribe to some pro-Zionist blog and are reminded of it daily, but I've almost never seen these threats of destruction, and the ones that I have heard of were lies perpetrated by Netanyahu and other Zionist leaders, or US bureaucrats speaking on their behalf of the US media.

• Like 2