Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Lunatic"

DaKong

Note: This story has some violence, suggestive material, and disturbing images. Enjoy!

-----Lunatic-----

I couldn’t stop it. The pain kept flowing through my body, and then I felt my fangs grow, and hair sprouted all over. A burning rage flowed through me, and I felt hatred to all those that tormented me in my life. Images of them flowed through my mind as I prepared myself. It was time to hunt.

You see? I am no animal. Do you really think I meant to hurt them all? Trust me, if wasn’t for those eyes, those cruel, maroon eyes, it would have never happened.

I was bitten several years ago at the age of fourteen. I remember it vividly, as if it were yesterday. Oh! memory is no object anymore. Everything is deeply painted in my mind as if everything happened in a span of minutes. I was wandering through the woods with Lorei, my old girlfriend. As we were walking, I heard something in the bushes. We shrugged it off, and continued our walk. Lorei and I were such great friends, but we would never want the other to become uncomfortable around us. We would have been at her house later that night, if what follows had never happened.

It was a full moon that night, and as we were walking home, a snarl and rustle broke the silence. We ran, and the beast swiftly raced after us. The glorious romantic night was quickly changed into a sea of anguish. Lorei tripped, and I saw the beast crouch over her with a moonlit teeth. I heard her scream, and I threw my body over her as a shield. The beast’s head dug into my back, and a paining sensation swept over my body. I opened my mouth to scream, but a gaping void before my eyes stopped me. I lost control over myself, and I fell to the ground, twitching. The last thing I saw were the beast’s cold, maroon eyes when I blacked out. I could still hear Lorei’s screams when it ended.

I remember nothing from that point until a voice awoke me. I opened my eyes and expected Lorei to be with me still. However, I woke to find myself in a white room with doctors standing over me, studying my every move. I was terrified, and I found that I was

covered in sheets with blood being drawn from my arm. I asked why I was here, but they quickly said “Lay down, animal!” I had no clue what was going on. I asked again what happened, but all the doctors did was leave. A sweet therapist then came in and told me what had happened. I still put flowers by Lorei’s grave.

After the story, a great rage flowed through me. I felt warm, and a flame burned in my chest. The therapist said that some people heard Lorei’s screams of terror, and they came running through the woods. They believed that it was me who had caused her scream! Of all the people, why would I have been the one to cause Lorei the pain? I couldn’t stand it! She also said how they found a knife on the ground next to her with several wounds on her body. I was lying next to her, stomach down, with blood all over a large bite mark on my back. The people said that it was her trying to get me off of her, and her nails were caught into my back! The knife was the tool I had threatened her with! I couldn’t believe it. My parents had said that I would do no such thing, but Lorei’s parents, as sympathetic as they were, couldn’t help but believe that it was me!

I wanted to tell the therapist what had really happened. I wanted to tell her my story, but I knew I couldn’t. They would never believe what I was. In shock, I just wanted to die on that very spot. End the pain now so that it would never torment me again. Oh, God. Sweet merciful God! I had prayed. Why? What had I done to deserve this?

My life was at its utter end. With Lorei gone, I knew nothing could help me now. I went into strange fits and convulsions, trying to get free, when police officers came in and held me down. They gave me something to drink, and I fell into a deep sleep.

I have no memory of what ever occurred for three weeks after I was drugged. Based on what has been recovered, I have found that those doctors, and lo! those menacing creatures did tests to check my origin to check for Lorei’s genes! I could not believe it when the therapist told me that they had found a tiny trace of her DNA. After demanding me the story of what happened for hours, I told them another story. They looked at me severely, but of course, they never knew the true story. I could never tell them.

When the same therapist came back in, she could tell that something was wrong with me. Oh, nothing was wrong. Nothing except that a murder that I was falsely accused of has been proven to be correct when nothing truly happened! I knew that it was inconceivable for me to tell her the truth, but I blurted it out. Everything was said, except what I thought, what I knew, I was. She looked at me, and then told me that wolves attack sometimes at night, and a myth says that animals go insane particularly on a full moon.

I needed to escape. I knew it. I could not stand staying there any longer. For a month, oh! a month I stayed in that place. I could not do anything but lie in bed and read. I couldn’t stand it. I knew in my heart that I had to leave. I knew it from the night of the twenty-forth day that it was time to leave.

I woke up in my room that night. And what a night it was! Outside, through the windows, the temptation of running throughout the woods was so great; I could have broken through the walls right there! But I knew this was folly; bullets would be in my back before I got past the grounds. I had to get out. Oh! the pain of being locked in there like - like some kind of animal was too great for me to bear. I felt the moonlight shine on me, and I felt my fangs grow, oh, hair sprouted all over me. Pain erupted from all over my body, and burning images of those evil, twisted doctors who blamed me for my girlfriend’s death flowed through my mind like a raging river. I wanted to kill them. Kill them all! The sane part of me said that I would surely be dead; I had no place to go. But the other half quickly dominated it, and I felt the need to annihilate them. It was time to hunt.

From that point my memory eludes me. I remember coming back to my senses in a black room without any windows or light. At first I thought I was dead from the world; the dark reminded me of so. My fear was short-lived, however, when a voice called me that certainly did not sound like God.

“Thank you,” came the voice. It was coming from a girl dressed in all black lying on a bed. She had unusually pale skin, and her voice was cold but entrancing. As she spoke, I noticed unusually large canine teeth glistening without light.

Confused, I merely replied “Uh, okay, but, what did I do?”

She laughed a sound that sent a shiver up my spine. “Look around,” and I did. All around, the mangled bodies of doctors were laid with gaping mouths and wide eyes. I studied there deaths, and on almost all of the bodies were slash and bite marks. I looked at my hands just in time to see my hands and nails (or should I say claws) shrink back to normal size in the dark. Then, I noticed that everything I looked at had a faint glow to it, and my stomach flipped.

“What am I?” I asked, bewildered of what had happened.

“You are what you are,” she sat there, smiling. “And you are what you believe you are. I know. I see your pain. I share your pain.”

She jumped, or should I say glided, down from the bed and landed right before me. “Ah, I am KatherineYoungblood, but call me Kitty,” she wiped her mouth. There was blood on her pale arms “And as you can see I live up to my name. I hate it too.”

"Wha-? How?” I asked in awe that there was someone like me. Then I paused “How long?”

Her mischievous grin quickly faded. “7 months.”

“One,” I replied.

“You’ve had it better. They’ve kept me in here since it happened. I have never seen the light of day since. Of course, the light of day isn’t important in this form,” she smiled.

“How did it…?”

Once again her smile faded. “I was alone in my room when it happened. The pain was so- intense, and I couldn’t stop him from doing it. They say it feels good. It doesn’t.”

I recoiled from shock of her story. “And I thought I had it bad,” I muttered to myself.

“We need to escape from here,” she whispered. “You might have slaughtered the doctors, but we still have to deal with the guards.”

At that very moment, I heard footsteps and numerous shouts from outside the building. Kitty looked at me with a weird glint in her eye. “Ah, so your senses have also been heightened due to your bite. Wolves and bats both have extraordinary hearing and sight, but I’ll need to rely on you for picking out scents to get us out of here.”

We ran. Out of the room I once again felt the urge to kill. Hair sprouted over me, but this time I was able to keep control. I turned my wolf face back and looked at Katherine. She was in some kind of trance, and her dark eyes were focused on me.

“I have a hold on your mind to prevent you from going insane. I now must face to you for getting me out as well as yourself alive. Good luck, Jake,” she smiled, and I remembered how vampires have very limited telepathic abilities to sense false identities and lies from truths. Then, I turned from the room, and ran with her on my back. Gunshots fired from behind me, and bullets whistled past me like deadly wind. I knew in my heart that I had to get us out, and it pushed me along until we were out on the grounds. The full moon stared down at me, and rage flowed through me. I looked back, and I saw Kitty straining to keep me under control.

“Hurry, Jake. The more you stand in the moon the harder it is for me to control you. Even I feel an impulse to fly to the trees!”

I raced with tremendous agility towards the guardhouses. More gunshots were heard with my heightened senses, and I knew that this was my last chance to leave my old soul behind. I said goodbye to my friends and family, and Lorei’s memory was a sounding horn telling me to go. I couldn’t help but cry large tears as I ran toward the outer perimeter, slashing and biting at any guards that had the misfortune of getting in my way. A bullet whistled toward me and hit my front paw, but I kept on running. I reached the electric fence and jumped with all my might over it, and I fled to the woods. Pain burned on my paw, and then I realized that me sides had been shot three more times. I felt dizzy, and the last thing I saw was Kitty turning into a bat and flying off into the night.

I remember waking up in a small wooden shack in the middle of the forest. Katherine was standing in a single dark corner, dressed in all black (which didn’t surprise me). Light was streaming through several windows, and I found myself lying on a large wooden table with several other teenagers standing around me. For a shocking moment I thought that I had wound up back in the asylum, but a soothing voice calmed me.

“Lay down, Jake. We will not harm you,” it was coming from a fifteen year old girl with a beautiful smile that reminded me of what it meant to love. Her brown eyes sparkled with the beauty of a thousand sunsets. She was examining my arms, which had a large bullet wound in it. I turned over and saw a skinny thirteen year old patching up a large wound in my side that I dared not to look at. He had a scared look to his face, and he had pale skin much like Katherine’s. Another boy was at the back end of the table eating a large bowl of what looked like beef.

“Katherine told us about what had happened, and we knew that you needed our help, so we brought to our humble abode,” this was spoken by the thirteen year old. “Oh, pardon me. Forgot to introduce myself. I’m Derek Bradford. The one mending your arm is Serena, and the boy eating the beef is David.”

“Hello,” they said. Serena looked at me. “Before you ask that question, and yes, you were going to ask a question, we escaped from the asylum, too. Katherine had repeatedly tried to send us messages through telepathic communication, but we figured that the best thing for you both was to escape. She told us that a new person was brought into the asylum, but we never knew that he was a werewolf. Yes, Jake. We’re talking about you.”

“Trust me, we know how you feel. I can sense your thoughts. I am also clairvoyant, telepathic, and have various pyro, hydro, and electrokinesis abilities. David is a werewolf like you-”

“And proud of it!” came David’s voice.

“Ahem, as I was saying,” Serena shot a look at David, and David whimpered as various flames were popping up on his skin. Serena then dampened them by creating a small rainstorm over his head. “Derek is a vampire and Katherine is the same.”

“We’ve been trying to contact you ever since you first came in,” said Katherine. “But werewolf minds are the hardest to crack…”

We all laughed. They later showed me around the small shack, and I have lived there since.

I’m seventeen now. Serena and I have become the greatest of friends, though we both are attracted toward each other a little more than that. Derek and Katherine frequently fly outside together every night, although we know they’re not as close as people might think. We also got another new member of the clan a year after I joined. Sara Johnston was her name. A sixteen-year-old sprite when she first joined, now she and David are more of friends.

Over these years, I have realized how much we take advantage of. Humans have always thought that cancer and death will never happen to them, but what if it were all to go away in a matter of seconds? What if your family and friends were all killed? My own little adventure has taught me the value of friends.

I’m leaving them now. Going to have my own life; away from the fear of discovery. I’m going to go make a man of myself and stop hiding. I haven’t told Serena yet, but I will when it’s time. I know that it’ll be hard for her, but it’s time that I left. I will forever remember how much my condition has taught me; for better and for worse. It’s time I left. Good-bye, everyone. I will miss you all.

Well??? Is it good??? Haha! Wrote it in the middle of 8th grade last year (freshman now, and doing a re-do of this one) for a short story assignment in Lang. Arts class! It's supposed to be the first in a series of short stories- one for each character (Jake, Kitty, Serena, David, Derek, and Sara). Currently the only ones I wrote were Jake and Kitty's story, as the project was scrapped in the end. According to my friends, Kitty's story (called "Abyss") is the best, but I'm gonna need mod permission to post it, and trust me when I say that. Well, cyaz dudes!!! :D:D:D

Edited by DaKong

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ruby

• DaKong

• nativechick1989

• BigDaddy_GFS

Top Posters In This Topic

Great story, DaKong! You definitely have talent and know how to capture a readers attention. Keep up the good work and I look forward to reading more of your stuff.

:)