Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Henry VIII Would Be A Modern Day Psychopath

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:15 PM

A study of some of the most successful people in British history has found that only one - Henry VIII - was a psychopath.

Professor Kevin Dutton assessed ten people regarded as among Britain's greatest to determine how psychopathic they were.

He found that Henry VIII was in the same category as dangerous criminals like Ian Brady or other serial killers, but others who had fought their way to the top were not.

Prof Dutton's experiment was inspired by psychologist William James who claimed that anyone who had been determined by history as successful was likely to score highly as a psychopath.

I really couldn't believe what I was reading....
Once again, Claire Ridgeway wrote a wonderful, insightful article, about this news story....

Now, I do not condone the atrocities carried out in Henry VIII’s reign – the executions of the Carthusian martyrs, the framing of Anne Boleyn, the massacres of the Pilgrimage of Grace, the execution of the elderly Margaret Pole etc. etc. – but I do have a problem with a sixteenth century monarch being labelled a psychopath. Surely a psychologist actually needs to spend time with someone before diagnosis, surely they need to understand the context in which they lived… I am baffled by this “diagnosis” and it’s just plain wrong in my eyes.

Read more: http://www.theannebo...him/#more-23579

I have to agree. How can you judge someone who is living in the 16th century, by 20th century standards?
By the way, Happy Birthday Henry! :)

Edited by Still Waters, 29 June 2013 - 02:51 PM.
Shortened amount of copied text

#2    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:18 PM

View PostKowalski, on 28 June 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

I really couldn't believe what I was reading....
Once again, Claire Ridgeway wrote a wonderful, insightful article, about this news story....

Read more: http://www.theannebo...him/#more-23579

I have to agree. How can you judge someone who is living in the 16th century, by 20th century standards?
By the way, Happy Birthday Henry! :)
oh wow awsome post kowalski

happiness can be found in the darkest of times, only if one remembers to turn on the light

#3    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,212 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

I agree... People should be measured by the 'yardstick' of their times, not standards that did not exist in their times...
Of course history has several examples of people who have been "ahead of their times" and thought/acted in surprisingly "Modern" ways...

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,179 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

There's one in every family.

Even in the context of which he lived the man was still a murderer.  He wanted a different wife kill the one you have now.  Part of this was caused by the Church and their views on marriage but he still did it.

Edited by Hilander, 28 June 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#5    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:49 PM

View PostHilander, on 28 June 2013 - 03:45 PM, said:

There's one in every family.

Two in mine actually.... ;)

#6    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Psychic Spy

• 1,831 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

It strikes me odd how we like to judge Henry VIII.  He did some bad-bad things...but he did some very good things too.  Do you realize it was Henry...in his anger with the Catholic establishment....that ordered the printing of Bibles for the commoner?...For the time, that was a pretty profound thing to do.

As stated....we must not measure the past with the standards of today.  henry was not all monster...he...like most of us...had a side of light...and a side of darkness.

Just think...if he had not ordered the printing of the bible for commoners....you'd still be listening to priests and hoping they were telling you what the book actually said.

Edited by Jeremiah65, 28 June 2013 - 03:51 PM.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#7    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Psychic Spy

• 1,831 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

As a side note....Henry VIII was not like some of the true "fiends" of history.  Sure...he was a horn dog and used his throne to that end...but he was nothing like Tiberius or Caligula of Rome...he did actually do a few good things.

I can say....there have been far worse monsters in the Monarchies....I am just glad they are gone now....oh wait...it would appear that the new Financial Oligarchy and Plutocracy are trying their damndest to lead us right back t those days....sad-sad times.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#8    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

Excellent post, IMHO.  I always wondered what made certain people in history tick, and H the 8th is one of them.

#9    Roybat

Roybat

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

...he did actually do a few good things . Few is the operative word here.  He used strong arm tactics to get his despotic way. Hanged Catholics, burnt protestants. Murdered Sir Thomas More plus about 36.000 more people. Closed the monasteries where monks looked after the poor with food and medicines. Caused the ruination of those magnificent Abbeys. His legacy is still with us.  Yes he was a psycho

#10    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,970 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:16 AM

In effect he was a medieval psychopath... but the psychopathy was considered to be positive in a ruler.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users