Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

"In atheists we distrust"

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#76    Blueogre2

Blueogre2

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

The reason so many Christians distrust atheists is because they can not understand them. For a Christian God's reality is a fact just as real as the ground beneath  their feet. When they encounter someone who denies that concept they are filled with righteous rage. You see the people who wrote the bible were very, very paranoid people who attacked ANYTHING that posed a threat to their religion, and modern Christians have taken on that tendency. Furthermore, for many people, God is not just a deity, he is a symbol for everything right and good in the world, and represents all that they cherish about their upbringing. So when they encounter an atheist, despite the fact that many atheists are decent human beings, they can't help but associate them with evil, because they have placed all good within their God and they atheist has denied him. It is the sad price people pay when they subscribe to the more conservative branches of Christianity that can't imagine good without God, it just dosen't compute to them. Add into this mix a distrust of liberal society and modern science and you have a recipe for disaster. But that is not to say that Christianity is bad. It's not its a great religion, but because of it's tendency towards seeing itself as the only  correct path it forces people into a sort of tunnel vision that can blind them to the beauty around them

#77    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,258 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

View PostSherapy, on 02 January 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

MW, what does it mean to you to love others? How do you define this? This question really doesn't require an answer, I simply ask to bring in a point. Loving others can mean many things depending on who you are talking to. One can get too caught up in this idea that there is one "right " way to love others, when there is not.There are many paths to love. What you can say is you have found a way that works for you based on your background and experiences, for you it seems to be religion.

This is the gratest practical difficulty with his commandment.

I have no problem with it because i was brought up form birth to love myslef and others. I was taught modelled and demonstrated what love is intellectually, emotionally, and symbolically,

No. Religion has nothing to do with love. Love comes before religion and may be a part of religious expression.

Primarily love is an expression of human spirituality. It is a symbolic construct made possible by our sapience, and capable of being chosen by a human being, once they are aware of its existence and construction.  That awreness can come from many things, simply by being loved, or by being taught what love is and how to feel and demonstrate it.

My philosophy is this. First you must love yourself as a human being. That means respecting yoursef and accepting yourself as you are. Recogising your strengths and weaknesses and working on both of these all the time.

Then love others as yourself, but keep in mind they are NOT yourself.

For example I love being hugged and cuddled, my wife hates it. This is reversal of expected stereotyping, and it took me a long while to realise that physical affection, even words meant nothing to my wife as an expression of love. Nor did gifts of perfume or jewellery etc. For her love is demonstrted by time spent with her and by actions and deeds. And so, soon i will bereturning to our garden to continue tidying it up and pruning weeding etc as an act of love for her. This year i wil be working half time so i can spend more time with her as an act of love

And so love must be expressed in ways  appropriate for the one doing the loving and the one receiving it. But LOVE is the important thing.

I am not going to put into words what love is, although i could do so for me. But it does involve respect, caring, and compassion, as well as consideration, for the one(s) loved. It might be easier to define what love is not. You do not hurt or harm one you love (except to do a greater good) you do not put them down or denigrate them. You do try to educate them to be ethical and moral and loved/loving human beings even if only by your personal behaviours.

You might protect them from harm, including self harm.  You do not disrespect them, their person, body, ideas or beliefs, even where you disagree with them. You do not allow your love for them to compromise your own ethical standards and moralities, but you do not seek to impose your own on them, except where their own standards will hurt themselves or others, or is illegal.
Love does not just mean allowing a peson you love to act as they will, without at least trying to dissuade them, and perhaps even temporarily preventing the action, Eg an act of  emotion driven violence on another, suicide or drink driving.

Edited by Mr Walker, 03 January 2013 - 12:06 AM.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#78    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,670 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

View PostSherapy, on 02 January 2013 - 11:16 PM, said:

I  agree with you, it is the rules and the willingness to adhere to and follow them that goes along way in fostering  integrity and cooperation. We have many differing perspectives and religions this in and of itself contributes to the chaos. It is the rules we agree to/ have in place that give us common ground. The irony is that at some level we all are following the same rules and if we are not we have to contend with the consequences of those choices I often think going ones own way is the grand projection whether its  religion or otherwise it is  these rules not what religion a person is or is not. At the end of the day, for me, my trust is given based on  ones ability to follow the rules.
Exactly the spirit of community, co-operation and good will mean much more than the particular religion a person may be, or whether they be an atheist.  it is the acceptance that the rule of law, and the most basic of natural laws - cause and effect, that assures quality of life and freedom of expression for everyone regardless of race, creed or colour.  Where this is absent - then contempt of the society and people is somewhere in the cause and that is the real issue.

Edited by libstaK, 03 January 2013 - 09:26 AM.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#79    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

I know of one atheist many Australians do in fact trust...

And you have to admit, she sure has a good sense of humour.. I saw this video (talk about the end of the world )  rather recently and knew it was a joke, so good on her for showing her humorous side  ..I laughed at the end of her speech, - "At least this means I wont have to do Q & A again " :P

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 03 January 2013 - 11:25 AM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#80    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,258 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 03 January 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

I know of one atheist many Australians do in fact trust...

And you have to admit, she sure has a good sense of humour.. I saw this video (talk about the end of the world )  rather recently and knew it was a joke, so good on her for showing her humorous side  ..I laughed at the end of her speech, - "At least this means I wont have to do Q & A again " :P
Roflmao Not a good choice. I dont think it has anything with her being an athiest or even a woman, although both might count against her with some australians, but most of us do not trust her (or any politician) further than we could throw them. And poor old "joolia" has suffered the lowest approval rating of any australian prime minister in history (shared with the much hated Paul Keating.)

Lowest approval rating
Paul Keating (20-22 August 1993) and Julia Gillard (6-8 July 2012) tie the lowest approval record with 27% .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspoll
In 2011 it went nearly as low.
Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard's popularity drops to a record low -- a net approval rating of minus 45 per cent -- in an opinion survey released Tuesday.
Gillard dropped four points to 34, the lowest rating of any prime minister since Labor's Paul Keating in the 1990s. This means almost 70 per cent of respondents were dissatisfied with Gillard's performance.

http://au.ibtimes.co...oval-rating.htm

And specifically on the matter of trust.

JUST a quarter of voters trust Prime Minister Julia Gillard according to a survey released today as a minister condemned what he called the Government's "political spin''.
http://www.news.com....9-1226316741483

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#81    the-Unexpected-Soul

the-Unexpected-Soul

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

my honest opinion is, i like many atheists (a muslim here), i like to raed and watch thier ideas, what i like about the intellectuals of them, is that they are the most honest people in thier way, they try to hit the true nature of things, but that some times makes them anti social people, like when they describe communities of people in a negative light saying it's only a chimpanzee nature to pan together so predators don't eat us, and make it seem like it's horrible thing to be with a pack of people, also a bird which is flying, to them is only a piece of meat and bones motivated by a selfish gene, so if you want to embrace thier creed on a deep level you will find that it's a life sucking base of looking to the world, but that doesn't matter as they say that we should seek truth no matter what, and the reson they fail to make me an atheist is that they basically say that there is no proof of god to be measured by our means, and that's exactly the creed of islam as we believe that god is completely separated from existence and can't be measured

Posted Image

#82    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,670 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

View PostMr Walker, on 03 January 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

Roflmao Not a good choice. I dont think it has anything with her being an athiest or even a woman, although both might count against her with some australians, but most of us do not trust her (or any politician) further than we could throw them. And poor old "joolia" has suffered the lowest approval rating of any australian prime minister in history (shared with the much hated Paul Keating.)

Lowest approval rating
Paul Keating (20-22 August 1993) and Julia Gillard (6-8 July 2012) tie the lowest approval record with 27% .

Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard's popularity drops to a record low -- a net approval rating of minus 45 per cent -- in an opinion survey released Tuesday.
Gillard dropped four points to 34, the lowest rating of any prime minister since Labor's Paul Keating in the 1990s. This means almost 70 per cent of respondents were dissatisfied with Gillard's performance.

JUST a quarter of voters trust Prime Minister Julia Gillard according to a survey released today as a minister condemned what he called the Government's "political spin''.
Political spin is a problem across Australian Politics, don't want to derail the thread but I trust her more than Abbott, of course I wouldn't trust him further than I could throw him so that isn't saying too much.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#83    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

View PostMr Walker, on 03 January 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

Roflmao Not a good choice.

You start sentences with -  Roflmao  ...seriously? .And you expect to be taken .seriously too? ....It seems by you starting sentences with that sort of silly long winded acronyms, it's some sort of joke..   .  I would post  lol  at the end of something humorous ..but I will not start my sentences like that, it looks like I am mocking and trying to come off as condescending towards others, and it looks juvenile in my opinion  

You post up old outdated news reports, opinion poll  from the media, because the media always serves people well..right?

I clearly wrote.. -> many Australians do in fact trust..  Many stands for a number of people throughout the country, but not all,  but I am sure many still do..   Like it or not, she is your prime minster

If ( and I mean just IF )  you are ready to start to dig into this, do not aim it at me....I am not interested in dragging this out and start some political debate, my previous post was not aimed to derail, it was mentioning one lady that I know many do trust regardless if she is atheist or not

View PostlibstaK, on 03 January 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

Political spin is a problem across Australian Politics, don't want to derail the thread but I trust her more than Abbott, of course I wouldn't trust him further than I could throw him so that isn't saying too much.

And I am sure you are not the only one.. I personally cannot say anything about her, as I know so little... I try and stay out of politics as much as I can .. I have some interest but usually not for most of my time..   I think however she has a sense of humour..

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 03 January 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#84    me-wonders

me-wonders

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

View PostBeany, on 31 December 2012 - 04:54 PM, said:

I think both of these are descriptions of humans and common human behaviors, irregardless of religious or atheist beliefs. That's the problem for me when we talk about religion. All of them would be just about perfect if they remained an ideal, but once you put humans into the picture it becomes all kinds of messy. Because, I think, life is all kinds of messy. There is such a wide spectrum of IQ, experiences, nurturing of lack of, knowledge, education, economics, geography, cultures & mores, loss, pain, etc. Personally, I often forget that, and I need to do better around this, and practice more compassion & patience than I have been, looking at the person instead of any institution of which they may be a member.

I can't tell who is a Christian and who is not, in this thread.  :-*  Maybe we should identify ourselves so we don't mistakenly think we have agreements when we don't, and can identify who we need to bash for not thinking "correctly".    I hope that is understood as a totally outrageous statement, with a message.  

Science can greatly improve our parenting, and therefore, it can improve the world.  Understanding our animal nature is important to our judgment.  Understanding how we are different from other animals is also important, and it is not being scientific to stop short at equating humans and animals.   It is to some degree because of science that we stopped beating the devil out of our children.  The idea that the devil has power over our lives, has lead to many terrible things and unfortunately this goes with religion.   To have peace, Christians need to be aware of why atheist reject religion, and they need to be accountable for that, instead of acting as though Christians have always been these wonderful, kind people that science and affluence has made them.  

Christianity without education in the higher thinking order, (abstract and critical thinking) is very problematic,  Failure to have education for the higher thinking order, makes people dogmatic, intolerant,  and just plain dangerous!   This is true if they religious or not.

I am curious.  Christians keep referring to our human nature as being a problem, but recoil at the notion that we get our nature from the animal realm.  What is going on here?  As long as religion flies in the face of science, and insist the world is the center of the universe, it will loose those who think science has a better explanation of our experience.   Thank God, because it is science that gave us control over diseases and made it possible for so many of us to live so long.  Science is more effective against evil than superstition, and Christians are creating atheist when they reject science.

Why is human nature so bad, if it is not from the animal realm?  The Catholic church would not allow Chardin to publish, because he reconciled science with faith.  He said evolution was God's plan.   It took this church a very long time to accept our planet is not the center of the universe and the spheres in space are not perfect orbs, however, it did.  Why must we go through all this agony again, regarding human nature?   Honestly, is it better to believe we are sometimes bad because of a supernatural being called Satan?   Is that the correct way to understand why we are not perfect angels?   How about understanding beating the devil out of our children, leads to them being abusive?   Money and education is what made Christians such good people, because they were not such good "loving" people when they lived in ignorance, fear and poverty.   Christianity stood in the way of economic growth, just as Islam has done.  Puritans came to the new land to get away from that and to follow Calvinist teachings that spread prosperity by making capitalism possible.

Please, living in a wonder world of God's love and putting down those who put logic and science above religious notions, is a problem.   If Christians or Muslims want us to believe as they do, they have to deal with the ignorance and poverty that consumed us, and the fact that the goodness of our lives came from logic and science, not a holy book.    If religious folks will come half way, than may be we can get atheist to accept a truly unknown God.  Then we can stop fighting and start working on morals, as a democracy with liberty is suppose to work.

#85    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

View PostBlueogre2, on 02 January 2013 - 11:37 PM, said:

The reason so many Christians distrust atheists is because they can not understand them. For a Christian God's reality is a fact just as real as the ground beneath  their feet. When they encounter someone who denies that concept they are filled with righteous rage.

Is that why they also distrust Jews, Muslims, Hindus, and billions of other people in the world who don't share their beliefs?

#86    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,810 posts

• Dysfunctional you can fix, ******** can't be.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

View PostlibstaK, on 03 January 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

Exactly the spirit of community, co-operation and good will mean much more than the particular religion a person may be, or whether they be an atheist.  it is the acceptance that the rule of law, and the most basic of natural laws - cause and effect, that assures quality of life and freedom of expression for everyone regardless of race, creed or colour.  Where this is absent - then contempt of the society and people is somewhere in the cause and that is the real issue.

Great point,  (I'd add with the emphasis being for MW)  I do not think love has much of a place in the land of the law, this is where I think religion places a stipulation (love) where none is actually needed. I do not need to love anything or anyone to follow the rules. I simply choose to be a part of accepting the rule of the law for the betterment of the myself and the whole to ensure quality of life and freedom for all. Personally, I do not see a need/place for religion, but I am not opposed to anyone who does.

#87    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,810 posts

• Dysfunctional you can fix, ******** can't be.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

View PostMr Walker, on 02 January 2013 - 11:56 PM, said:

This is the gratest practical difficulty with his commandment.

I have no problem with it because i was brought up form birth to love myslef and others. I was taught modelled and demonstrated what love is intellectually, emotionally, and symbolically,

No. Religion has nothing to do with love. Love comes before religion and may be a part of religious expression.

Primarily love is an expression of human spirituality. It is a symbolic construct made possible by our sapience, and capable of being chosen by a human being, once they are aware of its existence and construction.  That awreness can come from many things, simply by being loved, or by being taught what love is and how to feel and demonstrate it.

My philosophy is this. First you must love yourself as a human being. That means respecting yoursef and accepting yourself as you are. Recogising your strengths and weaknesses and working on both of these all the time.

Then love others as yourself, but keep in mind they are NOT yourself.

For example I love being hugged and cuddled, my wife hates it. This is reversal of expected stereotyping, and it took me a long while to realise that physical affection, even words meant nothing to my wife as an expression of love. Nor did gifts of perfume or jewellery etc. For her love is demonstrted by time spent with her and by actions and deeds. And so, soon i will bereturning to our garden to continue tidying it up and pruning weeding etc as an act of love for her. This year i wil be working half time so i can spend more time with her as an act of love

And so love must be expressed in ways  appropriate for the one doing the loving and the one receiving it. But LOVE is the important thing.

I am not going to put into words what love is, although i could do so for me. But it does involve respect, caring, and compassion, as well as consideration, for the one(s) loved. It might be easier to define what love is not. You do not hurt or harm one you love (except to do a greater good) you do not put them down or denigrate them. You do try to educate them to be ethical and moral and loved/loving human beings even if only by your personal behaviours.

You might protect them from harm, including self harm.  You do not disrespect them, their person, body, ideas or beliefs, even where you disagree with them. You do not allow your love for them to compromise your own ethical standards and moralities, but you do not seek to impose your own on them, except where their own standards will hurt themselves or others, or is illegal.
Love does not just mean allowing a peson you love to act as they will, without at least trying to dissuade them, and perhaps even temporarily preventing the action, Eg an act of  emotion driven violence on another, suicide or drink driving.

MW, I see you are trying to make a case, a cause  for 'love' yet it is immaterial in this context.  What you are talking about is the act of setting boundaries (this has nothing to do with love) it has to do with establishing a personal identity and a way for others to respect you by knowing what these limits are. It is part and parcel of interpersonal relationship skills. Nothing more complex than that. If  a  partnership is going to be cooperative it would be important to understand the differences that each person brings, I do not dispute this, I also agree that love is defined many ways and the way a mate defines it would be imperative to grasp in the attempt to nurture a quality relationship. And, by your post it seems you have learned the 'art of listening' which is key to understanding and getting along with the female. :)

Edited by Sherapy, 04 January 2013 - 12:05 AM.

#88    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,258 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:11 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 03 January 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

You start sentences with -  Roflmao  ...seriously? .And you expect to be taken .seriously too? ....It seems by you starting sentences with that sort of silly long winded acronyms, it's some sort of joke..   .  I would post  lol  at the end of something humorous ..but I will not start my sentences like that, it looks like I am mocking and trying to come off as condescending towards others, and it looks juvenile in my opinion  

You post up old outdated news reports, opinion poll  from the media, because the media always serves people well..right?

I clearly wrote.. -> many Australians do in fact trust..  Many stands for a number of people throughout the country, but not all,  but I am sure many still do..   Like it or not, she is your prime minster

If ( and I mean just IF )  you are ready to start to dig into this, do not aim it at me....I am not interested in dragging this out and start some political debate, my previous post was not aimed to derail, it was mentioning one lady that I know many do trust regardless if she is atheist or not

And I am sure you are not the only one.. I personally cannot say anything about her, as I know so little... I try and stay out of politics as much as I can .. I have some interest but usually not for most of my time..   I think however she has a sense of humour..
Gone on a diet for new years BM? :passifier: Lost your sense of humour? :devil:  I am an old fart who uses terms like lol sparingly, but i really did fall off my chair and onto the floor at the thought of people trusting julia gillard. It was a short way of making a strong and powerful point, which I see as the correct use for those silly acronyms. I am not responsible for how you perceive my language only the intent with which I use it.

I can't see mocking in it although it might appear juvenile, as such language is most universally used by teenagers,  POS for example. Having played online with people from all around the world, including a majority of juveniles, for about five years i know most of the acronyms  and do have to use them to communicate with other game players online. I am also exposed to their use in language every day with my students and yes, they do speak in acronyms.

The news reports validated my opinion. I wouldnt like to have people accuse me of using unverified opinions.

Yup, about 30% of australians express a trust in her. So some do, even many, in total numbers But it still wasn't a good example to use. And i didn't mean to have dig at you personally, I tend to forget how sometimes you let your sensitive nature overcome your sense of humour.

Also I have to live inder her rule and the effects of it so I am also a bit cranky and sensitive. As another poster indicated the other side is not much better and I am a conscientious objector to compulsory voting, so I dont really get a say anyway, but truly I laughed and laughed at the idea of using julia as an example of someone to be trusted.

The last time I literally fell off my chair laughing, and ended up rolling on the floor, was during one of the fawlty towers episodes many years ago. So think of it as  you making a highlight in my otherwise dull existence.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#89    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,258 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:20 AM

View PostSherapy, on 03 January 2013 - 11:48 PM, said:

MW, I see you are trying to make a case, a cause  for 'love' yet it is immaterial in this context.  What you are talking about is the act of setting boundaries (this has nothing to do with love) it has to do with establishing a personal identity and a way for others to respect you by knowing what these limits are. It is part and parcel of interpersonal relationship skills. Nothing more complex than that. If  a  partnership is going to be cooperative it would be important to understand the differences that each person brings, I do not dispute this, I also agree that love is defined many ways and the way a mate defines it would be imperative to grasp in the attempt to nurture a quality relationship. And, by your post it seems you have learned the 'art of listening' which is key to understanding and getting along with the female. :)
Love is not a feeling but the way we act. My wife taught me that.

Love does create boundaries in expectations and behaviour, which do not exist without love. I see that all the time, in people who love self and others and those who do not. Love is the ultimate form of caring/respect for self and others. Love then, causes us to define boundaries in our own behaviour and that of those we love. Without love, compassion, caring and respect, no one would set boundaries for anyone, including themselves. ANd indeed in the modern world this is often the case, with tragic consequences. For example if you love yourself you won't ever intentionally harm yourself. If you love another you will not ever intentionally harm, or allow harm to befall that other, if you can prevent it.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#90    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

View PostMr Walker, on 04 January 2013 - 06:11 AM, said:

Gone on a diet for new years BM?  Lost your sense of humour?

Oh not at all..I still laugh at things that are funny..I will joke as and when I feel it is right

I am an old fart

You said it, not me lol :P

who uses terms like lol sparingly   

I use lol after funny sentences or jokes I have read, or to show people I am joking, but always at the end of my sentence...  I never feel the need or see the sense in places long winded acronyms  at the beginning of ANY sentence,  in fact, I never will see the logic in using any amount of acronyms at the beginning of any sentence either..It just doesn't  look right, and I cannot see the intelligence within it..

but i really did fall off my chair and onto the floor at the thought of people trusting julia gillard.   
I personally find that behaviour awkward.It makes me feel awkward if I see people do this.... Maybe it's just me, but my dad was the same, he too would have given strange looks to anyone behaving like that..   If I am reading something serious  or I post something I see as serious,  laughing at what I say in that manner I find odd..  If I was sitting face to face with someone, and said the same thing  about Julia Gillard, and they burst out on the floor laughing, I would think they lost it, it would make me feel awkward !

I can't see mocking in it although it might appear juvenile, as such language is most universally used by teenagers

I made a thread back in April of last year  -Acronyms, Abbreviations and Text speak..!..http://www.unexplain...howtopic=226344 ...That thread explains what I have trouble with, and what I accept..Feel free to read it if you have time.... I am fine with lol at the end of jokes and sentences, but overly used and long winded at the start of senescence, ticks me off..Maybe I am being old fashioned ? Maybe I just cannot get to grips with it ? Or get used to it?   I don't know, all I know is I don't like it..It could be because I have seen some people do this as a result of a disagreement, it comes off as an attempt to belittle their opponent in a condescending manner.. I have read a few posts from others, who were in disagreement, and did the same thing, posting up long acronyms to laugh at them at the beginning of their posts..I saw others who did in fact see it as an act of belittling and condescending, I agree with them

POS for example  

POS?   in my previous job, POS stood for - Point of Sale..I have no idea what you are meaning though?

I am also exposed to their use in language every day with my students and yes, they do speak in acronyms.

Would you accept an English paper  written in acronyms  filled with ROFLMAO and chopped text? In my day at school, we never did that.. Our work was always presented in proper English.. If it was full of nonsense like that, our teacher would have binned it and failed us..

In my own country Mr Walker, it has gotten worse... So many were used to using poor grammar.. An example of this is - That there book was blah blah..  I class that as bad grammar, but like I said, it has gotten worse with the young ones on  Facebook.. Instead of posting their usual poor use of grammar, they make it worse by saying - Dat ( instead of that ) and der ( instead of there ) it turns out like - Dat der...!!  Chopping up simple words like  - Don't ..they now get lazy and type - dn't, dropping ONE small letter.. Again that is sheer laziness and I find it all hard to read If I receive a poorly written text that is filled with chopped up words and acronyms all over it, I will not read it..  I text in full proper sentences...To me, that is much easier to read and understand.. I think that if this continues  ( and likely will do ) it will look as if the younger generation are dumbing themselves down  

Another that confuses me  is -  IDK...  When put into a sentence - "IDK he does this and that"   .. To me they could be saying they do know  OR they don't dnt know ?  I then just skip it and go on to read something with proper use of the English language

Yup, about 30% of australians express a trust in her.   

30% or even 35 % , it still stands for many people, and that was my statement.. Many people trust her... I pointed out previously, that many could stand for any number of people.. There is no fixed number linked to the term - Many people

And i didn't mean to have dig at you personally, I tend to forget how sometimes you let your sensitive nature overcome your sense of humour.

Fair enough, you didn't mean it as a way to put my post down, .but when I write something serious,and see I am laughed at, it doesn't go well with me..I feel the person is not worth taking seriously.. You do understand? You know I do take many things as funny and will laugh at so much of it.. but not the serious notes..

but truly I laughed and laughed at the idea of using julia as an example of someone to be trusted.

I once laughed at the idea of so many voting Bush back into office for a second term, but that's all I did, laugh at it, at the same time I was shocked....I never fell and rolled around on the floor in fits at it  lol.. I guess I just react differently from yourself and so many others..  We are completely different people..

The last time I literally fell off my chair laughing, and ended up rolling on the floor, was during one of the fawlty towers episodes many years ago.

That's because a show like Fawlty Towers is very funny, and a shame they only made 12 episodes..  But at least you are laughing at something that is very funny..  I love the show, laughed at it many times   Ok not rolling around but I still laughed..( Favourite episodes are the ones about the Hotel Inpectors and Bazil the rat  ) .I have the box sets..  But if you were to do the same thing from watching a serious programme, that to me would be most odd

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 04 January 2013 - 03:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users