Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Former astronaut says Roswell UFO crash true

Karlis

According to a CNN report April 20, 2009, former astronaut Edgar Mitchell told an audience at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C., that the basic story of a 1947 UFO crash in Roswell, New Mexico, is true.

Mitchell was an astronaut on the Apollo 14 mission to the moon in 1971 and he spoke at the National Press Club after the fifth annual X-Conference, an event focused on research involving UFOs.

linked-imageRead more...

This is copy-pasted from the article:

Mitchell was raised in Roswell and knew many of the townspeople there. He said they confided to him years later about what they knew, although they had been told to keep the information quiet.

In addition, Mitchell said that about 10 years ago a Navy admiral working for the Joint Chiefs of Staff confirmed to him that a UFO had crashed at Roswell.

Thoughts anyone?

Karlis

We get at least one of these a month, where some upstanding member of the community claims to have been told that Roswell is real (bet you they have also been told it's fake). What makes this one any different?

We get at least one of these a month, where some upstanding member of the community claims to have been told that Roswell is real (bet you they have also been told it's fake). What makes this one any different?
Aquatus, I can only go by what is published in the various News Outlets. I have no idea if Mitchell (an astronaut) has decided to cash in on his past, or whether what he has supposedly said is truth or fiction. I simply copy-pasted an article that quotes the thoughts of a seemingly reliable and sane person, who seems to know what he is talking about; as per what was in the article I copy-pasted:

Mitchell was raised in Roswell and knew many of the townspeople there. He said they confided to him years later about what they knew, although they had been told to keep the information quiet.

In addition, Mitchell said that about 10 years ago a Navy admiral working for the Joint Chiefs of Staff confirmed to him that a UFO had crashed at Roswell.

Are you thinking that perhaps Mitchell is not telling the truth? If so, what is your reasoning for that?

Karlis

Actually Mitchell has (previously) claimed that aliens exist and that earth is being visited by other civilizations. And I believe all his knowledge was acquired during his career in the military and as an astronaut. This news is nothing new. However, being a "current" news-worthy item is new.

Actually Mitchell has (previously) claimed that aliens exist and that earth is being visited by other civilizations. And I believe all his knowledge was acquired during his career in the military and as an astronaut. This news is nothing new. However, being a "current" news-worthy item is new.
So a seemingly key question, ICON -- is Mitchell a reliable source regarding this sort of information, or not? And, how would one arrive at an answer to this question?

Regards,

Karlis

So a seemingly key question, ICON -- is Mitchell a reliable source regarding this sort of information, or not? And, how would one arrive at an answer to this question?

Regards,

Karlis

Would somebody with a similiar background who states there is no evidence for these claims be equally reliable? It's just opinions at the end of the day, regardless of whether or not the evidence exists, until such times as the evidence is presented then claims stating ET presence is a fact just remain opinions, therefore can't be deemed as reliable until proven otherwise.

Edited by Sky Scanner

Karlis I agree with your post,you are just relaying information from regular sources.

Edgar Mitchell is a very reliable source.

Have any of our members in UM been to the moon or into Space?How many thousand hrs of Hight Tech Flight time ?

Who`s to say what the reasons are for his disclosure?

Its great to see more Highly skilled & trained people getting there say.

Keep looking up for Exibit-A justDONTEATUS B)

Would somebody with a similiar background who states there is no evidence for these claims be equally reliable? It's just opinions at the end of the day, regardless of whether or not the evidence exists, until such times as the evidence is presented then claims stating ET presence is a fact just remain opinions, therefore can't be deemed as reliable until proven otherwise.
Point is, Sky S -- Mitchell reports information that he received from people who were on the scene. He is not simply stating his own personal opinion, nor the personal opinions of people with whom he spoke over a period of years.

Do you relegate Mitchell's information to the realm of rumour?

Karlis

Edited to correct typing errors

Edited by Karlis

Its funny... If a former military official/astronaut says aliens are real, he's a freedom fighter exposing the truth about alien life. He is talking from experience, there's no reason for him to lie.

If a former military official/astronaut says aliens are not real, he's part of the cover up and is unreliable. He should not be trusted.

Karlis I agree with your post,you are just relaying information from regular sources.

Edgar Mitchell is a very reliable source.

Have any of our members in UM been to the moon or into Space?How many thousand hrs of Hight Tech Flight time ?

Who`s to say what the reasons are for his disclosure?

Its great to see more Highly skilled & trained people getting there say.

Keep looking up for Exibit-A justDONTEATUS B)

The bolded phrase is a key point: is he, or is he not a *very* reliable source?

If he is reliable -- what can people like us conclude?

Regards,

Karlis

IMO, because it was 'Real' first, then it was as "Hey! shut the **** up guys. ok. were saying nothing happened, and we couldnt tell the different between a weather balloon/mogul and and a flying saucer. ok?"

so, now when people say it Was Real, its quite intriguing. especially because of the secrecy oaths sworn, and the now older men wanting to get this off their chest. maybe thinking we desrve to know?

I think that the ultimate truth here is rather simple: No one is reliable enough to be taken at their word alone (and that includes photos, video, et cetera). Until an alien being (dead or alive) presents itself to the world, all of the tonnage of evidence so far gathered does not constitute proof.

Did Travis Walton tell the truth? Yes. Did the miles of video footage from Phoenix, Arizona show UFOs? Yes. Is there proof of alien intelligence? No.

Point is, Sky S -- Mitchell reports information that he received from people who were on theb scene. He is not simp;y stating his own personalopinion, nor the personal opinions of people with whom he spoke ove r a period of years.

Karlis

I don't know if it's rumour, I don't know who he spoke too, what that person claims to know, how they came about that knowledge, whether they were at Roswell at the time of the crash, whether they witnessed what was found, whether they have an agenda, whether they are telling the truth, etc etc....Without evidence how am I suppose to make a judgement on the veracity of the claim?

The Lack of evidence is not the Lack of the possibilites that There maybe things the public will never see.

By saying there is no way E.T exisist your in a group of people that have closed your mind to the possibilties.

By saying there is no way E.T exisist your in a group of people that have closed your mind to the possibilties.

In about 18yrs of looking into this subject, and all it's subsections, I've never met a single person who thought like that! Who on the boards has said that then?

Wait for another 18 years of looking into it then we can compare notes In 18 more years I`ll have looked into it for 73 years.

We need all the Lookers and questioners we can Get! The Government`s are not going to tell us any time soon.

Wait for another 18 years of looking into it then we can compare notes In 18 more years I`ll have looked into it for 73 years.

We need all the Lookers and questioners we can Get! The Government`s are not going to tell us any time soon.

I've got no idea what that has to do with my question. Never mind.

Everyone that has seen an Unidentified flying object that acts as many of the descriptions that have been posted and the many hundreds of examples that have been posted in here. The possibilties of them being controled by E.T`s is just that.A possibilty. This is what Im talking about. To say they are just top seceret man made craft is just one possibilitiy. But one cannot rule out the facts that many Have seen these objects doing things that man made aircraft can do. JMO

I think that the ultimate truth here is rather simple: No one is reliable enough to be taken at their word alone (and that includes photos, video, et cetera). Until an alien being (dead or alive) presents itself to the world, all of the tonnage of evidence so far gathered does not constitute proof.

Did Travis Walton tell the truth? Yes. Did the miles of video footage from Phoenix, Arizona show UFOs? Yes. Is there proof of alien intelligence? No.

if you had videos and photos of your spouse cheating would you believe it ?

I think if religions had the above in bold we'd never hear the end of it and the bulk of society would be saying God is real and we have proof. :P

Yes, we've seen it all - countless eyewitness testimonies - hell we've even had testimonies from people who worked on the Roswell recovery project! The fact of the matter is, it is not going to please the skeptics. What skeptics want are bodies, DNA, photographs that weren't doctored... not testimony. That is not "evidence" in the book of a skeptic.

I, truly, am a believer. I believe that a lot of the people that have come forward risked something on a personal level. Not to mention that a lot of people whom have come forward have nothing to gain.

Yes, we've seen it all - countless eyewitness testimonies - hell we've even had testimonies from people who worked on the Roswell recovery project! The fact of the matter is, it is not going to please the skeptics. What skeptics want are bodies, DNA, photographs that weren't doctored... not testimony. That is not "evidence" in the book of a skeptic.

I, truly, am a believer. I believe that a lot of the people that have come forward risked something on a personal level. Not to mention that a lot of people whom have come forward have nothing to gain.

Those that have brought them forward have plenty to gain.

Testimony is not evidence period.

If I told you I have come from another planet that developed FTL travel 4 billion years ago, and we spent the next 3.9 billion years wiping out all other life, you and us are all that is left, and I happen to know Roswell is a crock because I was passing by at the time would you believe me? It's testimony.

Those that have brought them forward have plenty to gain.

Testimony is not evidence period.

If I told you I have come from another planet that developed FTL travel 4 billion years ago, and we spent the next 3.9 billion years wiping out all other life, you and us are all that is left, and I happen to know Roswell is a crock because I was passing by at the time would you believe me? It's testimony.

I always thought that the amount of witnesses of spacecrafts is more than witnesses of you wiping out lifeforms.

Everything from what I have been able to gather over the years is that everything about Mitchell's claims are that of second or third hand informants aka barber shop politics. Not to say Mitchell is lieing but all his accounts are not his own and second, third hand stories. I would like him to say that NASA officially told him about the alien conspiracy.

Point is, Sky S -- Mitchell reports information that he received from people who were on the scene. He is not simply stating his own personal opinion, nor the personal opinions of people with whom he spoke over a period of years.

Karlis

Edited to correct typing errors

I think Skyscanner makes an excellent point. Why is he any more believable than an electrician?

These are even third hand accounts - Mitchell got the story from someone else and passed it onto someone else, with his own perspective and belief to support the end product.

I feel that is good reason to doubt the story as well.

It is just other peoples testimonies, rehashed. But then again, much of this phenomena is isn't it.

I always thought that the amount of witnesses of spacecrafts is more than witnesses of you wiping out lifeforms.

My Testimony contradicts that - they are wrong!! I have reformulated Zechariah Stitchins work to prove he had it wrong, and what I speak is truth. I would find you some more witnesses but we killed them all. You have to be open minded you see.