Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

NASA mulls plan to drag asteroid to moon

nasa space exploration

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16    marcos anthony toledo

marcos anthony toledo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 224 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

I f they can cut down the time to retrevie the astreoid I all for it but ten years is to long for such a mission.

#17    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

So let me get this straight, 10 years, 2.6 billion dollars to bring a rock to the moon that is only  22' 11 5/8" in diameter. I don't get it. What am I missing?

Whats the point? Once the pebble is there, then what? What will they do with it? Anyone?

#18    Skeptic Chicken

Skeptic Chicken

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

I thought gravity was required for orbit? Or is it a matter of the larger a body, the more orbit there is?

#19    HuntrSThompsun

HuntrSThompsun

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Why don't we just bag isos?

#20    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

I wonder what the point of putting the rock in the moons orbit would be?  Why do we need or want that to happen?

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#21    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

Hmm man sees big rock in space man captures big rock man puts big rock in orbit big rock plummets to earth major city wiped out thousands dead hmm interesting.   :unsure2:

#22    TheMolePatrol

TheMolePatrol

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

Seems like an idea just being tossed around now, but I think it has some potential.

I would imagine the point of getting an asteroid into orbit around the Moon would be to "contain" it. Then some undecided procedure carries out after. Maybe they'll send it to Earth's orbit to an orbiting mining station? Maybe they'll try and pull an Apollo/MSL style landing on the planet? That isn't the hard part, the hard part comes with harnessing and retrieving one of these bad boys haha.

#23    TheMolePatrol

TheMolePatrol

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

Sorry for double post, but what about if decades from now a reality show similar to Deadliest Catch or Gold Rush or something where they safely harness asteroids and bring them to mining station hahaha either they have a good season or not.

My religion is the Universe. So much is unknown, yet you can see it in plain view. If you need an explanation on why life might choose not to contact us, Google "zoo hypothesis"!

#24    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 10,539 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

The right rock would be useful. Sound like a good idea to me.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#25    zenfahr

zenfahr

Psychic Spy

• 1,599 posts
  • Location:Center of my universe.... which is located in a bunker in New Mexico.

• "The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn from the Crow"
    -Nobody

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

Well at some point I think we would need to begin to build our ships in space. So mining an astroid may prove to be very benifical.  Imagine being millions of miles away from earth, and having your starter go out on you.  With the growning advances in 3D printing, I think its not such a far fetched notion to one day be able to fly to, capture, mine, smelt, and then build from astroids or satillites.

.....Im NOT here.....

My Art Gallery

#26    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• 1,396 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:51 AM

View PostMerc14, on 03 January 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

Rare "earth" metals may be more valuable to humanity than gold at the moment considering so much of modern technology relies on it.  Having a massive source of some very hard to obtain rare metal may open up a whole new industry or make some energy producing idea viable.

I thought rare earth materials were created by a intense pressures and temps created by a asteroid impact, reason why most rare earth materials are mined near asteroid impact sights here on earth.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#27    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 6,932 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:57 AM

View PostUncle Sam, on 06 January 2013 - 04:51 AM, said:

I thought rare earth materials were created by a intense pressures and temps created by a asteroid impact, reason why most rare earth materials are mined near asteroid impact sights here on earth.
I have no idea how they are created so you may be correct but I am sure there are a lot of exotic materials floating around the cosmos and I can fore see the day that mining the asteroid belt is big business.  We may not see ot but I am pretty sure it will happen.

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

Who is more humble, the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us or somebody who says everything in this book should be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of the human beings involved in the writing of this legend - Carl Sagan

#28    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:10 AM

View PostUncle Sam, on 06 January 2013 - 04:51 AM, said:

Asteroids still impact each other. Sure you may not get the same temperatures like when they hit the atmosphere, but they're still traveling at extraordinary speeds.

Posted Image

~MEH~

Also tagged with nasa, space exploration

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users