Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Natural Horror Movies/Creature Features

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,200 posts

• Question everything

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:59 AM

View PostAmbush Bug, on 17 November 2012 - 04:02 AM, said:

Wow we are really cooking on these movies. Thanks for the contributions, I have missed so many titles.

The films really went through cycles, in the 1950s it was all about the Atomic age monstrosities beginning with THEM!, then it was cheapie knockoffs of The Birds (or nature gone mad/revenge of mother nature), and continued with knockoffs of Jaws (rogue freaks of nature).

Here are a few more:

The Crater Lake Monster (1977)

Deadly Eyes (1982)

Tremors (1990)

Technically Beast From 20,000 Fathoms is the first atomic monstrosity, although Them is the first giant mutant movie.

I'm surprised you didn't remember Tentacles. It was a fairly regular movie of the week showing. Started out pretty good, especially with that creepy music riff every time the thing showed up but it really bogged down toward the end.

Would you include Day Of The Dolphin in the genera or not? It sort of fits in with the Jaws era but it's not so much an animals attack movie as a strap a bomb on the animal and turn it loose one.

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#17    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:17 AM

View PostOniomancer, on 17 November 2012 - 04:59 AM, said:

Technically Beast From 20,000 Fathoms is the first atomic monstrosity, although Them is the first giant mutant movie.

Indeed.

I'm surprised you didn't remember Tentacles. It was a fairly regular movie of the week showing. Started out pretty good, especially with that creepy music riff every time the thing showed up but it really bogged down toward the end.

I remembered once you mentioned it. But missed it when I compiled these lists. I have been intentionally avoiding Kaiju and SyFy originals though because they are both so prolific. And the SyFy originals lack the historical perspective these older films possess.

Would you include Day Of The Dolphin in the genera or not? It sort of fits in with the Jaws era but it's not so much an animals attack movie as a strap a bomb on the animal and turn it loose one.

Day Of The Dolpin I dont believe fits-in with the genre, it is strictly a sci-fi thriller about dolphin research, shadow government, and weaponized animal assassins.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#18    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,200 posts

• Question everything

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

View PostAmbush Bug, on 17 November 2012 - 05:17 AM, said:

I remembered once you mentioned it. But missed it when I compiled these lists.

Figured you had to've. It was probably on NBC about as often as Piranha at the time.

I have been intentionally avoiding Kaiju and SyFy originals though because they are both so prolific. And the SyFy originals lack the historical perspective these older films possess.
Yeah, I followed your lead on that. Let somebody else have fun with them.  Have you noticed a lot of the Syfys have been directly ripping off the older films we've listed? Two of the latest ones really stood out that way from the bits I saw. Earthquake Spiders was a direct steal from Bug and Camel Spiders used roughly the same premise as arachnophobia.  That last was extra-stupid because apparently nobody told them they already have solifugids in Arizona.

Edited by Oniomancer, 17 November 2012 - 11:12 PM.

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#19    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,374 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:40 AM

It took 15 posts before someone mentioned "Tremors" - loved that one, totally B grade and hilarious at the same time :w00t:

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#20    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:08 AM

View PostOniomancer, on 17 November 2012 - 11:12 PM, said:

Figured you had to've. It was probably on NBC about as often as Piranha at the time.

Yes, I remember they used to show these types of movies all week long back in my youth like "Animals Strike Back Week", and show these "classic" drive-in cheapies from the 70s etc.

Yeah, I followed your lead on that. Let somebody else have fun with them.  Have you noticed a lot of the Syfys have been directly ripping off the older films we've listed? Two of the latest ones really stood out that way from the bits I saw. Earthquake Spiders was a direct steal from Bug and Camel Spiders used roughly the same premise as arachnophobia.  That last was extra-stupid because apparently nobody told them they already have solifugids in Arizona.

Ditto. SyFy is churning these cheapie originals one out nearly every week. They are simply unabashedly dumb movies but yet I give SyFy an A for effort  despite the shoddy CGI and the fact these movies arent remotely as cult popular as they used to be. They can have dumb movie appeal.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users