Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

DOMA ruled unconstitutional

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,625 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:21 PM

NPR said:

Edited by questionmark, 26 June 2013 - 02:22 PM.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,625 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

And the first story out:

Bloomberg said:

A divided U.S. Supreme Court overturned the federal law that defines marriage as a heterosexual union, saying it violates the rights of married gay couples by denying them government benefits.

The vote on the Defense of Marriage Act was 5-4. Justice Anthony Kennedy joined the four Democratic-appointed justices in the majority.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#3    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

I'm actually surprised it took this long.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#4    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,609 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:53 PM

Texas will be the last to recognize this and will attempt its hardest to block it regionally.

They also pretended the slaves were not freed by empancipation. Look up Juneteenth.

Of course there are shining pockets of progressivism. Our city recognized same sex couples could receive benefits if on the city payroll. Of course Governor Perry & Co. have blocked that so we are going to find anothet way to work around it.

Having the Supreme Court make voting harder will be another challenge here. Still progress is not about speed but direction and compromise. So you win some and you lose some but at least we all as a country have won this. Just to finalize it here, Perry will run interference...count on it.

Another win here was we blocked their ridiculous abortion bill. Yay!

Edited by The world needs you, 26 June 2013 - 08:54 PM.

#5    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:09 PM

View PostThe world needs you, on 26 June 2013 - 08:53 PM, said:

Another win here was we blocked their ridiculous abortion bill. Yay!

Yeah, killing a five month old baby is real progressive dude.....

#6    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,810 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:25 PM

And before we sink into another abortion thread, I think that what the SCOTUS has done is a blow for the freedoms the US trumpets being built upon.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#7    Kowalski

Kowalski

• 4,102 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 26 June 2013 - 10:25 PM, said:

And before we sink into another abortion thread, I think that what the SCOTUS has done is a blow for the freedoms the US trumpets being built upon.

What do you mean by that?

Edited by Kowalski, 26 June 2013 - 10:37 PM.

#8    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,810 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:06 PM

View PostKowalski, on 26 June 2013 - 10:36 PM, said:

What do you mean by that?
basically, they've said "as long as people consent, off you go we have no reason to enact a law controlling your actions". Sounds like establishing a Freedom to me. Freedom to constentually marry whomsoever consents to marry you.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
Only I will remain.

#9    shadowhive

shadowhive

Government Agent

• 3,956 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:11 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 26 June 2013 - 11:06 PM, said:

basically, they've said "as long as people consent, off you go we have no reason to enact a law controlling your actions". Sounds like establishing a Freedom to me. Freedom to constentually marry whomsoever consents to marry you.

And that's a bad thing because....

So just take off that disguise, everyone knows that you're only, pretty on the outside
Where are those droideka?
No one can tell you who you are
"There's the trouble with fanatics. They're easy to manipulate, but somehow they take everything five steps too far."
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevent, it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

#10    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,758 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:12 PM

It makes me sad that republicans have to fight gay rights so hard. Like wtf

I agree with a limited goverment. So many people are getting turned away from that train of thought though becuase republicans are too busy being dumb and fighting gay marriage. It just makes them look like *******s

I like you republicans but come on, wake up :no:

Edited by spartan max2, 26 June 2013 - 11:14 PM.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#11    Kowalski

Kowalski

• 4,102 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:23 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 26 June 2013 - 11:06 PM, said:

:tu:
I get you! It really is like "Wake up people! You don't need the government to tell you what your freedoms are..."

View Postspartan max2, on 26 June 2013 - 11:12 PM, said:

It makes me sad that republicans have to fight gay rights so hard. Like wtf

I agree with a limited goverment. So many people are getting turned away from that train of thought though becuase republicans are too busy being dumb and fighting gay marriage. It just makes them look like *******s

I like you republicans but come on, wake up :no:

I know...
It's almost hypocritical in a way, because their for limited government, but want to say who can marry whom...

#12    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,758 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:25 PM

View PostKowalski, on 26 June 2013 - 11:23 PM, said:

I get you! It really is like "Wake up people! You don't need the government to tell you what your freedoms are..."

I know...
It's almost hypocritical in a way, because their for limited government, but want to say who can marry whom...

It is so frustrating!!! Becuase the parties gay stance is killing the party :td: , and because of its hypocritical stance people turn away from limited goverment. just makes me mad...

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#13    Odin11

Odin11

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

• I like your Christ.
    I do not like your Christians.
    They are so unlike your Christ.
    -Gandhi-

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:35 PM

View PostKowalski, on 26 June 2013 - 11:23 PM, said:

I know...

It's not "almost" hypocritical, it's hypocritical to the extreme. It is in fact one of the best examples of hypocrisy I can think of.

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "Does not!" ~Author Unknown

#14    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,810 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:58 PM

View Postshadowhive, on 26 June 2013 - 11:11 PM, said:

And that's a bad thing because....
It's not, it's a Good Thing!

Only I will remain.

#15    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,973 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:25 AM

I take this as a reflection of the social change that has happened in America over the past decade.  The gay lobby has managed to change the focus from morality to civil rights and there will be no stopping it's agenda from here forward.  Rest assured this is only a crack of the door opening and overall I'd say what it leads to will not be pretty.  I think homosexuality is regarded as sin by the Bible.  But so is lying, over indulging in food or drink or gossip... point is that a government cannot legislate what is in the heart.  My fear is that   I anticipate a movement to bless multiparty union and child - adult union in time.  If marriage is to be so redefined then who will be the arbiters of where that ends?  WHO will stand and say "this" or "that" is unacceptable?  A society with no standards of morality at all is where we are headed and EVERYONE wishes for some kinds of boundaries I think.  That said, the law was unfair and needed adjusting - maybe not being thrown out completely.  Sad thing is that the issue here, imo, is not one of legal rights but moral equivalence and that just isn't something a court can rule over.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users