Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

pets, do they have souls, spirits,

pokingjoker

What's the opinion, do pets have souls? Cats, dogs, etc... If they do, then in theory they could "linger, haunt" as humans have. Some mediums claim to be

to communicate with both living n deceased pets, thoughts on that....

• Like 7

Do not believe humans have haunted as such, but apart from having certain superior natural instincts to us humans, I see no reason why, as a thinking aminal like ourselves, why they can not have an inner spirit which can be genetically passed down through birth.

Ps, like you avi.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 4

Interesting topic and has been debated before here to some extent. Youll soon be hearing from all the animal lovers! :yes: Some religions teach everything has a soul or life force that lives on after death. I personally know several people claiming to see, hear or even smell their pets. The paranormal type events usually diminish over time. That said, did they eventually forget the animals or did "Old Yeller" finally move on? Ive not truly sided either way yet but i lean towards most if not all animals having souls.

• Like 6

Ive not truly sided either way yet but i lean towards most if not all animals having souls.

Friends and family get kinda tired of me not having a definite opinion on such things. Truth is im 50 yrs old and i have still not seen enough evidence to convince me anything is possible at all after the big "D" death. Ive had my own share of events but im not convinced.

• Like 1

Of course they have soul if we have it too and if there is afterlife i think that pets deserve it more then we do.

Edited by Sir Smoke aLot
  • Like 9

I like to believe they do. When I first got into the paranormal investigating I caught an EVP in my house of a bird chirping. It didn't sound like a native bird outside but it did sound identical to a parrot my spousal unit once had before she died. I only got it the one time so I don't know about if she has passed on or what. Take that for what it's worth.

• Like 2

Yes they do have souls. Some types of animals can reincarnate into humans. Animals can come back from the dead in spirit form to pay a visit or act as a guide. I know one of my departed dogs did just that once.

• Like 5

I believe animals have spirits, souls.

I also think that plants have spirit.

Personally I don't care much about afterlife for myself, but I enjoy conversation with spirit.

• Like 3

It's alive isn't it? It has a soul.

I bet pets wonder if we have souls.

With the way my cats look at me, I suspect the same thing.
  • Like 3

I have been told that animals have a spirit but not a soul. I'm sorry but I have difficulty separating the two. Any offers?

A few years ago while in bed my big Pye joined me. He did that rearrange blankets thing for a moment and then got comfortable. Now I leave the door open so the cats can come and go, but I have a baby-gate across the door to keep the dogs out. (One of them thinks my carpet is a wee-wee pad.) About 5 minutes later I hear the gate jiggle and then that distinctive sound a cat makes when they land. The thing is the other cat was in another room as they were ill, so there was nothing else that could join me. I had my back to the door and I just froze. At first I though I was crazy but Pye had come to attention, but didn't move. For some reason I didn't investigate. The following day while in the kitchen making coffee a family member came to me and said I have bad news. They are the one that go to the barn in the morning to feed the horse and donkey. We had 3 barn cats that lived and patrolled there. When they got there they found that the queen barn cat Lady Ripple had passed on. The other 2 were with her as if keeping her company. Now people can believe what they like but I choose to believe she came to say good-bye. I wish I had rolled over.

• Like 6

I have been told that animals have a spirit but not a soul. I'm sorry but I have difficulty separating the two. Any offers?

I honestly have trouble seeing a difference myself. DO NOT let my Dad hear you say that, he'll break out a Bible and start preaching. hahaha :angry:

• Like 2

I would definitely say so.

I'm the type who would suggest even plants have souls- though the scope of the awareness of such souls is limited and is meant to grow, branch out, and expand through new life if reincarnation is a thing.

Cats, regardless of soul-having, are definitely empathic though, in my experience. There are accounts of pets who ran away and then showed up at their "owner's" (a term I use loosely, my kitties are my friends and I don't own them) houses months later after they moved miles away, for example, and my kittyfriends definitely know when I'm feeling down or in an extra lovey mood and whatnot.

Heck to be honest I think even subatomic particles have souls.

Edited by ajnatak
  • Like 2

I have three cats, (grew up to many) and boy do each have a distinctive personality. That would tell me, that I think they have souls. So, if we're talking about hauntings, then I don't see why they wouldn't. In fact, I think there's a ghost of a cat in my house. I thought I saw one many years ago. And I use to feel very faint paws walking on me, when I'm in bed. I would look, and no cat would be there.

• Like 5

I honestly have trouble seeing a difference myself. DO NOT let my Dad hear you say that, he'll break out a Bible and start preaching. hahaha :angry:

Your dad sounds like he would have spent hours chatting with my mother. Perhaps you could ask him what the difference is. If he quotes chapter and verse let me know. I have 2 Bibles and a Strong's Concordance. I'll do my homework. I suspect the catch here is that your soul can only go to Heaven if you confess your sins and ask for forgiveness. My deal is I see animals like children. They do not understand right from wrong unless taught. Therefore I believe that animals have no sin and are not required to be forgiven. Can't wait to see what happens with this one. I would add smilies to this but mine are no longer working.
  • Like 3

First, I do not know if humans or pets have souls. ( pets needs to be clarified, Snakes, Lizards, Fish, etc. are not fitting in with me ).

Humans are not haunting anything after death, so animals would not either. If they did, we would have a butt load of ghosts around.

Now, in saying all of that, I do believe Animals ( mainly Dogs/ Wolf ) do have something, and something special. Something humans do not have. Whether it be a soul or not, I can not say, but I do love them more then people, by far.

Does a fetus have a soul?

Now you are getting into the religious field and opening another can of worms. Speaking of worms, do they have souls?

• Like 3

First, I do not know if humans or pets have souls. ( pets needs to be clarified, Snakes, Lizards, Fish, etc. are not fitting in with me ).

Humans are not haunting anything after death, so animals would not either. If they did, we would have a butt load of ghosts around.

Now, in saying all of that, I do believe Animals ( mainly Dogs/ Wolf ) do have something, and something special. Something humans do not have. Whether it be a soul or not, I can not say, but I do love them more then people, by far.

Not to start a major augment, but I am not so sure that a final visitation should be classified as a haunting. To me a haunting may or may not be disturbing, but a visitation may or may not be a finial good-bye. Your heart is the dictator of what you choose to believe.
  • Like 1

Your dad sounds like he would have spent hours chatting with my mother. Perhaps you could ask him what the difference is. If he quotes chapter and verse let me know. I have 2 Bibles and a Strong's Concordance. I'll do my homework. I suspect the catch here is that your soul can only go to Heaven if you confess your sins and ask for forgiveness. My deal is I see animals like children. They do not understand right from wrong unless taught. Therefore I believe that animals have no sin and are not required to be forgiven. Can't wait to see what happens with this one. I would add smilies to this but mine are no longer working.

I will try to get this done in the morning, he'll be excited to give his point of view.....oh the typing.

• Like 1

I believe they do, once in awhile I see my deceased dog waiting for me to open the door to go outside. Not only seeing her I hear her too.

• Like 2

Does a fetus have a soul?

That's a very good question. I have never pondered that.