Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NASA's New Design for a Warp Drive Ship

Scorpius

In 2012, NASA physicist Harold White revealed that he and a team were working on a design for a faster-than-light ship. Now he's collaborated with an artist to create a new, more realistic design of what such a ship might actually look like.

Artist Mark Rademaker told io9 that he worked with White to create the updated model, which includes a sleek ship nestled at the center of two enormous rings, which create the warp bubble.

In this video, below, you can see White talking about the new design (starting at 41:54), and explaining how it fits his mathematical analysis.

Source: http://io9.com/heres...ship-1588948192

Video:

Edited by Scorpius
  • Like 4

Awesome!

Edited by Paranomaly

If this is even possible (and I remain a skeptic) it would be incredible, and I would love to see it in my lifetime.

• Like 1

What about using their time for something actually usefull ?

• Like 1

Same things people probably said when people were inventing the engine or computers.
  • Like 2

What about using their your time for something actually usefull ?

• Like 3

Some people would rather sit under the tree and let the Apple hit them on the head,blame a God for the event.

I say Unlock the Universe ASAP ! Were made to explore. :clap:

• Like 3

What an awsome adventure that would be.

Sometimes i think extraterrestrial ufos(if any) interstellar travel thru wormholes without speed of light. Its impossible to avoid space rocks at that speed

Edited by TheGreatBeliever
  • Like 1

Same things people probably said when people were inventing the engine or computers.

People probably said the same thing when stone age man experimented with flint and fire.

There will always be the naysayers that assume that because they don't understand something it can't be worthwhile. Fortunately there will always be people that ignore them which is why we currently have six humans living in space instead of the whole of humanity still living in caves.

• Like 2

This is so cool and it reminds me of the USS Enterprise! I hope that's what they will name it. Yea, I'm a STNG geek :)

"Remember, nothing locally exceeds the speed of light, but space can expand and contract at any speed," White told io9.

http://io9.com/5963263/how-nasa-will-build-its-very-first-warp-drive

How do we know that for a Fact? It seems to me this is only really an assumption. Can we bend space to test this yet?

White and his colleagues are trying to simulate the tweaked Alcubierre drive in miniature by using lasers to perturb space-time by one part in 10 million.

It would seem not yet. But they are working on it.

I do wish them good luck, and please do not destroy the Planet. (Teasing)

• Like 1

With transporters be theoretically possible now, it shouldn't be long before we can actually say "Beam me up, Scotty", and mean it. And yes I know that was never actually said in the show. In one of the movies a similar phrase was used.

Transporters are not theoretically possible now.

That's press hype.

Harte

• Like 1

This is awesome news! I love the creativity of the human race and our potential and desire to explore the vastness of the universe.

I know they said if man were meant to fly, he would have wings.

What we need with this is a cheap way to get into orbit. Unless you want to suck the atmo along with you.

Edited by danielost

I'm sorry, and no offense but if there are articles on these forums that state 'researchers discover beer goggles exist', then this may as well be rediscovering gravity all over again. THIS is the science that advances us, not the study of levels of perceived ugliness based on the drinking of fermented vegetable products. :no:

• Like 2

This is awesome news!

It's not that awesome.

This is an artists impression of what a starship might look like if it's highly hypothetical propulsion, which has yet to be tested (even on a small, laboratory scale) actually works.

If Harold White gets positive results from his experimental work then that will be awesome news, but even then a working propulsion system could still be many decades away.

Knowing how to do something theoretically and possessing the technology to do it are not necessarily the same thing... and we haven't moved from the hypothetical stage to the theoretical stage yet.

• Like 3

It's not that awesome.

LOL Waspie, it's all relative.

After seeing the gallery of pics, watching the video, and thinking about the amount of work that has gone into getting things this far, I thought it was awesome. :)

• Like 1

A Positive mind set is Always Awesome ! ITs How we actually Get past all the experimenting ,testing designing , Building. ITs that First Step Saying ! :tu:

• Like 1