Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

plants won't grow near wifi routers

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,010 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

I wasnt sure to post this here or the science thread, Im sure the mods will decide !   So apparently some people sleep with their phones, I wish I had a reason too but Im older now and knowing what my mates are doing 24/7 doesnt bother me at all!!

so and I quote:

Student science experiment finds plants won't grow near Wi-Fi router

Ninth-graders design science experiment to test the effect of cellphone radiation on plants. The results may surprise you.

Five ninth-grade young women from Denmark recently created a science experiment that is causing a stir in the scientific community.

It started with an observation and a question. The girls noticed that if they slept with their mobile phones near their heads at night, they often had difficulty concentrating at school the next day. They wanted to test the effect of a cellphone's radiation on humans, but their school, Hjallerup School in Denmark, did not have the equipment to handle such an experiment. So the girls designed an experiment that would test the effect of cellphone radiation on a plant instead.

The students placed six trays filled with Lepidium sativum, a type of garden cress into a room without radiation, and six trays of the seeds into another room next to two routers that according to the girls calculations, emitted about the same type of radiation as an ordinary cellphone.

Over the next 12 days, the girls observed, measured, weighed and photographed their results. Although by the end of the experiment the results were blatantly obvious — the cress seeds placed near the router had not grown. Many of them were completely dead. While the cress seeds planted in the other room, away from the routers, thrived.

According to Kim Horsevad, a teacher at Hjallerup Skole in Denmark were the cress experiment took place, a neuroscience professor at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden, is interested in repeating the experiment in controlled professional scientific environments.

Posted Image

full article
http://www.mnn.com/h...ar-wi-fi-router

Edited by seeder, 27 May 2013 - 05:53 PM.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:54 PM

Interesting...
I wonder if a controlled scientific study could reproduce the same results?

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#3    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,010 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 27 May 2013 - 05:54 PM, said:

Interesting...
I wonder if a controlled scientific study could reproduce the same results?

well the article did say - "a neuroscience professor at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden, is interested in repeating the experiment in controlled professional scientific environments".

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,423 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:06 PM

Smart kids.  There has been controversy over if using a cell phone too much was bad for you in the past.  The evidence does seem to be pointing in the direction of yes.

#5    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,302 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:14 PM

We have a router and have many plants on our boat. We even have an Oak tree which we will be replanting, but for now, they are all growing fine. Maybe its something to do with the soil or water they are using.
My grandmother used to grow all her own veg for many years, until the rain somehow changed the soil and how the vegetation grew, in her case,  many did not.

This bit confuses me:

The girls noticed that if they slept with their mobile phones near their heads at night, they often had difficulty concentrating at school the next day. They wanted to test the effect of a cellphone's radiation on humans, but their school, Hjallerup School in Denmark, did not have the equipment to handle such an experiment.  So the girls designed an experiment that would test the effect of cellphone radiation on a plant instead.

If you can test the radiation on plants, why not on humans too? I am asking because I do not know and hope someone can explain.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#6    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,670 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:16 PM

the 'professional' community they don;t want such knowledge to be widespread ... they knows ... they have prepared ...

now brace yourselves for the onslaught for your 'informed' mind ... the first spin will be 'yes' but its not serious ... no one will suffer ...

go back to life like it was before and continue spending money on their products and don't listen the the 'paranoia'

standard procedure damage control ....

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#7    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,654 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

I have a Yucca right next to my router. I recently cut it, and now it's budding like crazy. 8 new shoots!

Edited by FLOMBIE, 27 May 2013 - 06:25 PM.

#8    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,010 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:28 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 27 May 2013 - 06:25 PM, said:

I have a Yucca right next to my router. I recently cut it, and now it's budding like crazy. 8 new shoots!

maybe its a mutant Yucca? Some plants may die - but some might...mutate!!

#9    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,654 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:36 PM

View Postseeder, on 27 May 2013 - 06:28 PM, said:

maybe its a mutant Yucca? Some plants may die - but some might...mutate!!
Sounds reasonable. I'm already saving money for more routers and more Yuccas. And then, one day, my army will be ready.

Posted Image

#10    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,670 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

Posted Image

how many kinds of 'routing' do you see here ?
how many do you think is harmless ?
how many do you think share the same transmitting variant frequencies ?

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

#11    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,453 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:30 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 27 May 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

We have a router and have many plants on our boat. We even have an Oak tree which we will be replanting, but for now, they are all growing fine. Maybe its something to do with the soil or water they are using.
My grandmother used to grow all her own veg for many years, until the rain somehow changed the soil and how the vegetation grew, in her case,  many did not.

This bit confuses me:

The girls noticed that if they slept with their mobile phones near their heads at night, they often had difficulty concentrating at school the next day. They wanted to test the effect of a cellphone's radiation on humans, but their school, Hjallerup School in Denmark, did not have the equipment to handle such an experiment.  So the girls designed an experiment that would test the effect of cellphone radiation on a plant instead.

If you can test the radiation on plants, why not on humans too? I am asking because I do not know and hope someone can explain.

I suspect it's very much dependent upon nearness to the wifi device.  Just as the young woman noticed the effect of the radiation on her subsequent behavior from sleeping with her phone next to her head, so too the plants suffer similar effects.  That's why it's called radiation, after all. :tu:

There is a related phenomenon to this, called the Baxster Effect, in which it was determined that plants, like humans, exhibit galvanic skin response.

Edited by Babe Ruth, 27 May 2013 - 07:32 PM.

#12    Vaise

Vaise

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

• http://www.youtube.com/user/VaiseShepard/videos

Posted 28 May 2013 - 05:54 AM

View Postthird_eye, on 27 May 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

Posted Image

how many kinds of 'routing' do you see here ?
how many do you think is harmless ?
how many do you think share the same transmitting variant frequencies ?
im failing too see the point your trying to make?

Posted Image

I’d rather trust and regret than doubt and regret:- Kirito

#13    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,670 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

View PostVaise, on 28 May 2013 - 05:54 AM, said:

im failing too see the point your trying to make?

we are swimming in a sea of frequency waves ... everywhere surrounding everyone ... more so in the big and high density population areas ...
it doesn;t need to be near a tiny small 'router' ... all these waves varies in density during hours and seasons ...

a 'proper' study on the effects of these waves near the highest intensity of transmission is doomed to fail based on the pre determined factors of what constitutes 'proper' study methods ... it is impossible to find equal numbers and effects from everywhere or corner of the world...

'

#14    Ashyne

Ashyne

Atheist & Skeptic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

Plants and humans are different. You can't do lab tests on plants and expect the same results for humans. This article does not prove anything. Many things kill plants which are harmless to people, and many things are harmless to plants but which kill people.

#15    jpjoe

jpjoe

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

Better be safe than sorry. Moving routers away isn't going to kill me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users