Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Grocery loyalty card purchases surveilled by

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31    shrooma

shrooma

proud Yorkshireman.

• 3,246 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

View PostMikko-kun, on 04 March 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

NOT ALL OF US HAVE A PERFECT 100% PERFORMANCE MR PERFECT.
100%??
a couple too many zeros there mikko!
:-)

sometimes, your signature is worth nothing at all.

#32    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,126 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

View Postaztek, on 04 March 2013 - 08:48 PM, said:

no they wont, anyone could be paying for my stuff, doesn't mean it is my card, that paid for it. i know how stroes can use and can't use financial info, and they can't use it the way you described.
I think he's just saying that they could. It's within the realm of possibility. That's all.

Posted Image

#33    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:03 PM

I use telephone numbers if I want to use a card and pay in cash. Oh the fun I could have making someone get targeted by the Govmnt for being a pig eater just by knowing there phone number and where they shop.

#34    aztek

aztek

Alien Abducter

• 5,123 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 04 March 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

I think he's just saying that they could. It's within the realm of possibility. That's all.
that is the problem, just saying sound a lot like b.s.
and no they can't. becose financial institution have strict rules how merchants use data that belongs to financial institutions. and if stores do not follow the rules, they will lose abuility to take cards, and that is a big hit for them.they can screw you, with no payback, but they will not even think of p***ing off banks.

Edited by aztek, 04 March 2013 - 09:07 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#35    shrooma

shrooma

proud Yorkshireman.

• 3,246 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 04 March 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

Everywhere I go they want to give you a card, it's ridiculous
it's the same over here.
a friend's wife has twenty of the damn things, and every time he has to go to a shop for some beer, or a pack of smokes, he has to hang around for five minutes while his missus fannies around looking for the right card to send him with!!
'ridiculous' is indeed the word!

sometimes, your signature is worth nothing at all.

#36    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,126 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

View Postshrooma, on 04 March 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

it's the same over here.
a friend's wife has twenty of the damn things, and every time he has to go to a shop for some beer, or a pack of smokes, he has to hang around for five minutes while his missus fannies around looking for the right card to send him with!!
'ridiculous' is indeed the word!
Lol, I know what you mean. I can't even get a cup of coffee in the morning without the gas stations asking me for a card. I just decline them unless I can also use a phone number instead of a card. Just today I stopped in the video game store to grab a playstation network gift card. Getting new Call of Duty maps tonight! He asked me for a loyalty card. I said I don't know if I have one. He asked for my number. Turns out I didn't have a card. Oh well I said forget it.
Some people are fanatical about it though. Many times as a cashier back in the day and now as a customer waiting in line I have seen plenty of people hold up lines or lose their minds cause they could find their damn card.

Posted Image

#37    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,126 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

View Postaztek, on 04 March 2013 - 09:06 PM, said:

that is the problem, just saying sound a lot like b.s.
and no they can't. becose financial institution have strict rules how merchants use data that belongs to financial institutions. and if stores do not follow the rules, they will lose abuility to take cards, and that is a big hit for them.they can screw you, with no payback, but they will not even think of p***ing off banks.
I know man. It's highly unlikely. Just saying it's highly possible if one were so inclined to make it so.

Posted Image

#38    darkmoonlady

darkmoonlady

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

• Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'-Shawshank Redemption/Life is a buffet and most poor suckers are starving to death-Auntie Mame

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

The original Wall Street Journal article here  is far less conspiracy and more about the marketing decisions that health insurers use to sell you things they think can be preventative measures to disease.

“The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance …or change... logic can be happily tossed out the window. Religious mania is one of the few infallible ways of responding to the worlds vagaries, because it totally eliminates pure accident. To the true religious maniac, it’s ALL on purpose” – Stephen King, The Stand

#39    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

Docking station

• 1,408 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

View Postshrooma, on 04 March 2013 - 08:51 PM, said:

100%??
a couple too many zeros there mikko!
:-)

Oh so you have good sex with just 1% of your true potential... that's nice. Eh, well, as long as you're happy I guess. Being self-critical is bad there.

I'll be gone.

#40    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 11,986 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

View Postaztek, on 04 March 2013 - 08:48 PM, said:

no they wont, anyone could be paying for my stuff, doesn't mean it is my card, that paid for it. i know how stroes can use and can't use financial info, and they can't use it the way you described.
:innocent:  Whatever dude.  I wish other people bought my groceries. :passifier:

#41    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

Why does this come out now 20 years after rewards cards were introduced and just prior to Obamacare and all this personal monitoring garbage becomes relevant ? Obviously this type of tracking of purchases has been going on for some time now.

#42    aztek

aztek

Alien Abducter

• 5,123 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:03 PM

View PostOverSword, on 04 March 2013 - 09:53 PM, said:

I wish other people bought my groceries. :passifier:
so do i man. no one buys stuff for me, i was just using this as example.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#43    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 11,986 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:28 PM

View Postaztek, on 04 March 2013 - 10:03 PM, said:

so do i man. no one buys stuff for me, i was just using this as example.
I figured as much, I was just breakin yer yabbos bro.

#44    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Poltergeist

• 3,241 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:57 AM

Maybe I'll use my former boss's name, address and phone number instead of mine if I have to sign up. :whistle:

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#45    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:10 AM

Isn't this invasion of privacy?

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users