Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The zombie of Gladwish Wood

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:10 AM

<strong class='bbc'>Image credit: sxc.hu</strong>
Image credit: sxc.hu
Matt Forde: Nestling amid the beautiful countryside of the Sussex Weald there is a little village called Burwash, where listed buildings flank the neat, meandering high street and rows of deciduous trees lead the visitor east to the 11th century church of St Bartholomew. A quaint and pleasant slice of English village life, indeed.

But underneath the picturesque, historic exterior lurks a dark legend concerning the woods that lie a little to the south. It is a legend that tells of the tragic demise of a man who would be fated to return from death to split the stillness of the East Sussex countryside with the horrific wailing of the tormented. The ghastly phantom that supposedly stalks through the aged trees of Gladwish Wood is believed to be David Leaney (perhaps Leary), a 19 year-old farm labourer who, despite insisting that he was innocent of the crime of murder, was hanged in 1825. Witnesses maintain that the unfortunate Leaney is ever restless, perhaps striving futilely to put right an ancient wrong.

Posted Image View: Full Article

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    The Unseen

The Unseen

Poltergeist

• 2,774 posts

• Whats out there?

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:42 AM

Weird,Makes me want to go and have a look around.

#3    guitarmaniac77

guitarmaniac77

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

• I AM YOUR FATHER

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:14 AM

View PostThe Unseen, on 09 July 2010 - 07:42 AM, said:

Weird,Makes me want to go and have a look around.

lol me too

#4    Lizardian_guy

Lizardian_guy

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Location:Undefinable variable entered, system failure imminent. Please contact your administrator.

• I think, therefore I am. Does this mean I can discard the existence of mankind?

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:30 PM

Oh, a ghost that looks like a decomposing corpse. I was gonna say "FLESH DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY".

Anyway, that's... Strange. Ghosts usually don't manifest in such ways, though if his death was very traumatic it's possible. Still, odds are it's all a scam.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
~ Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Trying to explain the unknown as the work of God is equally stupid as trying to explain it as the work of the human mind.
~ Myself

#5    kdch21

kdch21

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

• "The truth is out there... But so are the lies."

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:50 AM

I haven't ever heard of anything manifesting as a "zombie" and walking through woods. This is an interesting article though. I agree with Lizardian_guy... odds are it's a scam.

#6    Hp213

Hp213

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 165 posts

• “We are not human beings on a spiritual journey. We are spiritual beings on a human journey.”

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:25 PM

I also haven't heard of a manifesting zombie, most likely its a scam but still very interesting.

“The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in.”

#7    AliveInDeath7

AliveInDeath7

Enlightened Seeker

• 2,712 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:26 PM

it does sound fake.. but still a good story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users