Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Have you noticed changes in weather patterns?

OverSword

The reason for this post is because of what I've seen in local weather patterns here in the pacific northwest of the USA. Ever since I was a child when the morning weather report on TV showed a satelite image of weather the cloud patterns always....always blew down from Alaska and British Columbia, Canada then would kind of reach Portland and swirl back up to Seattle in a circular pattern. For the past 2 years however I notice that now the clouds seem to be pushed up from California. The area of the map that has always been shown is just the state of Washington, the north part of Oregon and the southern part of British Columbia and the pacific ocean next to Washington so I realy can't tell exactly what's going on but it is glaringly obvious that wind patterns have significantly changed and yet no mention of this is ever made by the local meteorologists.

Do any of you see this same type of thing happening in the sattelite views on your local weather reports?

• Like 2

No. I have noticed though, that for a few days it can be in the mid 30's I'm walking around in my sunback, and then all of a sudden it's 12 degrees. It just ruins everything and then it starts snowing for no reason at all and the temp drops down to 7 degrees. Horrible.

I think the weather around here has always come out of the south as far as I can remember. Wind, clouds, etc... We get our biggest weather nightmares when the warm rain and wind come up from Hawaii and California, and the Alaskan cold air slips down and the two systems crash into each other. It's partly what creates that crazy convergence zone from Bothell northward.

You can also see evidence that the weather has always mostly come from the south by the direction the trees grow along the windblown beaches... they all lean north easterly.

Ours is always the same down here. Weather comes from the west and northwest, unless it's a hurricane.

It has been snowing here for 2 days off and on here in Kentucky and cold. It was 80 this time last year.

I think the weather around here has always come out of the south as far as I can remember. Wind, clouds, etc... We get our biggest weather nightmares when the warm rain and wind come up from Hawaii and California, and the Alaskan cold air slips down and the two systems crash into each other. It's partly what creates that crazy convergence zone from Bothell northward.

You can also see evidence that the weather has always mostly come from the south by the direction the trees grow along the windblown beaches... they all lean north easterly.

I know MMW, that's what I said. But ever since I was a kid, the pattern would curve back up from oregon after it had blown down from the northern pacific. Now it just coming up not coming back up.

OH! I see what you mean... I should have known that. (I haven't finished my coffee yet haha)

I'm not sure... I don't really remember it coming back up from Oregon... but maybe I don't pay attention.

OH! I see what you mean... I should have known that. (I haven't finished my coffee yet haha)

I'm not sure... I don't really remember it coming back up from Oregon... but maybe I don't pay attention.

Or you may not have had a television when you were a kid :whistle: *waits to be hit*

How are you doing btw, back to work yet?

Last year here at this time it was too warm and dry. Now this year its been snowing which is unusual for this time of the year, colder than it was in December. Then the year before it was one hail storm and tornado after the other with constant flooding.

Last year here at this time it was too warm and dry. Now this year its been snowing which is unusual for this time of the year, colder than it was in December. Then the year before it was one hail storm and tornado after the other with constant flooding.

Yeah it actually snowed a bit here last Friday. It has never snowed after the beggining of February that I can recall.

Or you may not have had a television when you were a kid :whistle: *waits to be hit*

How are you doing btw, back to work yet?

Yep! I've been back at work for 2.5 weeks... I'm a warrior that way. I ain't no pansy! haha.

And, I might not have had a television when I was a kid... and you might get hit. LOL.

And, we haven't seen you a long time either! Let us know when you're ready to come out an socialize again! haha.

Yeah it actually snowed a bit here last Friday. It has never snowed after the beggining of February that I can recall.

Ya it has... in 1989, we got almost a foot on March1st and 2nd. I have pictures of my daughter playing in it in her little snow suit. I remember it so clearly because the days previous to that were really unseasonably warm, so warm, I had washed my car wearing shorts. We also had a bit of snow in March just a couple of years ago. It's not that uncommon. In 2000 we had snow in May, but it didn't stick in the lowlands but it did in places like Issaquah.

Ya it has... in 1989, we got almost a foot on March1st and 2nd. I have pictures of my daughter playing in it in her little snow suit. I remember it so clearly because the days previous to that were really unseasonably warm, so warm, I had washed my car wearing shorts. We also had a bit of snow in March just a couple of years ago. It's not that uncommon. In 2000 we had snow in May, but it didn't stick in the lowlands but it did in places like Issaquah.

May????? No way. Now I know you on the pot. ever since they made it legal people been crazy.

Here in Colorado, the weather just changes dramatically. But during the winter in the month of January, there was a couple of days where it was above 65 degrees. And its supposed to be cold and with snow. But it hasnt reallt snowed too much during the winter. This saturday it snowed A LOT, but then the sun comes out and its sunny for a long time, we just have to wait for either more snow, or the rain since its already Spring.

Ya dude, May. I had a truckful of computers and was trying to drive them from the FedEx depot in Issaquah to the Maydenbauer Center for a conference I was setting up there. That conference was always the first week in May. There was snow falling and sticking in Issaquah, but was just falling and melting in Bellevue. Seattle probably just had rain.

I noticed the seasons these days seem to be out of whack, somewhat.

Sometimes it seems like there is more summer or winter then usual and spring or fall become less then usual.

Our winter has been erratice as always. It's been snowing for the last two days and last week we were outside in t-shirts. March and April can be the worst for snow storms. I doubt I'll even see anything like the blizzard of '93 again when we got 36" of snow. We were snowed in for a week without electricity, but it was the most fun I'd ever had with my clothes on. :D

• Like 1

It's been like this in the UK too. We've been in a horribly prolonged winter where it's been sub zero temperatures since October which is really unusual. It's been snowing on and off for 3 months as well.

This time last year it was really warm and dry, now it's the complete opposite and it's set to continue into next week too. :(

• Like 1

I collect my own rainwater water supply, for the last 4years or so we generally run out of water at about this time because the weather has settled into a pattern of been bone dry from xmas to about April or May. For the last three years the drought breaks and then it doesn't stop raining again until the drought begins again in December.

That is a totally new weather pattern to anything anyone can remember in Ireland.

Br Cornelius

I collect my own rainwater water supply, for the last 4years or so we generally run out of water at about this time because the weather has settled into a pattern of been bone dry from xmas to about April or May. For the last three years the drought breaks and then it doesn't stop raining again until the drought begins again in December.

That is a totally new weather pattern to anything anyone can remember in Ireland.

Br Cornelius

Are you saying the drought from Dec. to April is new?

Are you saying the drought from Dec. to April is new?

The consistent pattern of drought in the spring is new. The wet summers come and go, but the last few years have been particularly bad.

Before this new pattern we had about 10years without any significant difference between summer and winter, which again was not remembered by any local people.

Br Cornelius

Nothing dramatic enough to be certain, overall, but a few items did stand out.

I noticed a change in the bird migrations this year. Birds arriving earlier than expected, by months, not weeks. Others hanging around longer than I expected. That is a bit weird, and noticeable.

The trees, I've written some about this, but to see blooms on the trees in early February, with no real extended warmth, that's a bit odd. I've speculated that they may be retaining a recent memory, because the earlier it warms up over time, they may sense this and be responding more generally, as opposed to to individual seasonal warmth. Not all the trees are doing this, however. It's unclear why some are, but perhaps not native. This is just a theory of my own, however. It's a useful ability in a fast changing environment, and no doubt they've experienced this before in their genetic past.

The bugs, nothing unusual. The amphibians are just glad the drought seems to be over in Coastal Carolina.

The fish, I don't fish, but perhaps someone else does.

Spiders, saw very few in the house this winter, don't know why. That's unusual, but unclear if unprecedented, given I don't remember this too well for many years past. Could be the landscapers spraying more. Some people hate spiders. I think they're pretty neat, but not in my house! A few get rescued and thrown out the door, when I'm feeling merciful.

Crickets, I miss, but that's normal for winter.

Let's see, what else. I've been dreaming about hail in Texas, Western Arkansas, and Eastern Oklahoma, but what's special about that?

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 1