Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Joe Blow likes to deer hunt, threatens wife

Raptor Witness

Joe Blow likes to deer hunt and drink at the same time. He also likes to beat his wife on occasion. So he goes to a therapist and tells the lady. "I'm going to kill my wife if she doesn't stop nagging me about deer carcasses all over the back yard." Joe is a new patient, unfamiliar to the lady therapist; who is also, fresh out of college.

She calls the New York state mental health police and reports that Mr. Blow is planning to kill his wife, and needs his guns confiscated. The state police show up with a warrant, take the man's guns, and with them, the only thing keeping Joe from actually killing his wife, who must now flee for her very life.

Nice move governor, but not very well thought out, because if you make the mental health profession the adversary, you will multiply the ticking time bombs by several times.

The killers that are rising among U.S. and like rats who hide in the shadows, and who will easily avoid your trap. Their arrogance, however, might allow them to try and beat a good psychological test. That's how you catch them. You use their own narcissim, to draw them out of the shadows. You pit them against a test, not the profession. That's your silver bullet.

Cuomo's new measures include:[8]

• Bans possession of any high-capacity magazines regardless of when they were made or sold. Only magazines able to hold up to seven rounds can be sold in the state. Magazines able to hold seven to ten rounds can be possessed, but cannot be loaded with more than seven rounds.
  • Ammunition dealers are required to do background checks, similar to those for gun buyers. Dealers are required to report all sales, including amounts, to the state. Internet sales of ammunition are allowed, but the ammunition will have to be shipped to a licensed dealer in New York state for pickup.
  • Requires creation of a registry of assault weapons. Those New Yorkers who already own such weapons would be required to register their guns with the state.
  • Requires any therapist who believes a mental health patient made a credible threat of harming others to report the threat to a mental health director, who would then have to report serious threats to the state Department of Criminal Justice Services. A patient's gun could be taken from him or her.
  • Stolen guns should be reported within 24 hours.
  • Reduces definition of "assault weapon" from two identified features to one.
  • Requires background checks for all gun sales, including by private dealers - except for sales to members of the seller's immediate family.

She calls the New York state mental health police and reports that Mr. Blow is planning to kill his wife, and needs his guns confiscated. The state police show up with a warrant, take the man's guns, and with them, the only thing keeping Joe from actually killing his wife, who must now flee for her very life.

You're not very good at making sense, are you?

Your brilliant solution is to allow a wife beater to keep his guns, and he won't kill her. Great logic there.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

The major takeaway for me is that the "ticking time bomb" will get worse because he/she will be more likely to avoid seeking help. And if a therapist misdiagnoses (happens all the time) and a person in their care goes rogue then what? Are THEY held responsible? Is their life's work and education destroyed due to a single mistake? If anything like this happens then therapists will have an incentive to call almost everyone they see with anger or depression issues a danger. That is half of the people you'll meet in your life.

My answer: Yes

The deemed mentally ill will be targeted first for gun confiscation. It could get potentially messy.

• Like 1

If a person tells a psychologist right now that they will commit murder, does the psych under current regulations have to inform the police?

The life of the wife is a higher good than Joe's deer hunt. If Joe can't control himself I see no problem with confiscating his guns until deemed stable enough to have them back.

• Like 5

So the problem is? In this situation the man made a credible threat on the life of his wife. You state he drinks while using a firearm and gets angry enough to beat his wife. Right there those two things should show the man is A) not competent enough to use a firearm successfully. and B) That he is a violent person. He then makes a threat on a persons life. His guns should be removed and he should be arrested for uttering death threats.

~thanato

• Like 2

So the problem is? In this situation the man made a credible threat on the life of his wife. You state he drinks while using a firearm and gets angry enough to beat his wife. Right there those two things should show the man is A) not competent enough to use a firearm successfully. and B) That he is a violent person. He then makes a threat on a persons life. His guns should be removed and he should be arrested for uttering death threats.

~thanato

I have to agree with this statement.

RAPTOR, I think you used a poor example to get your point across. I'm pretty sure I see what you were aiming for but you missed your target a bit. Joe Blow doesn't sound like a man I would want to own a gun at all, and I'm all for our 2nd ammendment rights.

• Like 3

He should have kept his dumbass mouth shut.

That's the moral of the story? When planning to kill someone, don't tell anyone?

• Like 2

That's the moral of the story? When planning to kill someone, don't tell anyone?

I guess we are far away from "minority report" so there is nothing we can do against those who don't say anything.

And if somebody wants to kill anybody he/she does not need a gun, guns just make it apparently easier being more tempting.

• Like 1

guns just make it apparently easier being more tempting.

if you think guns are tempting, and make you more likely to kill someone, may be it isn't gun, but YOU, may be YOU should not be allowed top touch one. god forbid a tiny voice in the gun will jump into your head, and make you kill someone.

• Like 1

if you think guns are tempting, and make you more likely to kill someone, may be it isn't gun, but YOU, may be YOU should not be allowed top touch one. god forbid a tiny voice in the gun will jump into your head, and make you kill someone.

I don't have tiny voices or imaginary friends.

• Like 2

i'd like to see the source, cuz i'm sure now, antigunners will make up planty of fake or partaly fake (best way to hide a lie is between two thruths) horror stories to keep attention on them.

i'm not saying it is imposible that this is true, but i've seen plenty of their lies by now.

• Like 1

I don't have tiny voices or imaginary friends.

than it's even worst, if inamate objects make it more tempting for you to hurt someone, than you have a lot bigger problem. thanks god you don't live in usa, we have enough of ours.

Edited by aztek

i'd like to see the source, cuz i'm sure now, antigunners will make up planty of fake or partaly fake (best way to hide a lie is between two thruths) horror stories to keep attention on them.

i'm not saying it is imposible that this is true, but i've seen plenty of their lies by now.

Probably not, but anti - gun folk tend to use correct English to make themselves understood. Let's look at NRA Lies shall we?

• Like 1

Probably not, but anti - gun folk tend to use correct English to make themselves understood. Let's look at NRA Lies shall we?

and your point is???? oh none,

Edited by Sky Scanner
Removed insult

As soon as a government can tell the people who can and who can't get a gun by loopholes such as this, it's bad. As soon as they can target dissidents who don't agree with what their doings, such as implementing an executive order and bypassing Congress - while New York altered their gun laws; making many legal gun owners felons when they woke up the following day, they'll start labeling people who don't agree with their ideology as mentally ill.

Soon being patriotic will be deemed mentally ill. After that, people will think you're a terrorist for talking about the dastardly Constitution and that evil Bill of Rights - or those terrorist founding fathers who terrorized the British. The paranoia has already spread through stereotypical political cartoons that patronize gun owners through a man who looks similar to Alex Jones; because of his confrontation with Piers Morgan, no doubt. People will be led to think that owning guns is an evil thing; Eric Holder will have his dream come true of brainwashing the American public about guns.

• Like 1

Again, lets look back at the Cafe Racer mass murder in Seattle just a few short months ago. He killed 5 people and himself.

His family had been BEGGING to have his legal registered firearms removed. He'd been arrested in the past but never charged in several domestic cases (or in one case reduced to a misdemenor) ... his family stated they were not surprised he shot up a coffee shop, they knew it was just a matter of time. They did everything they could under the law to no avail. He was also in and out of psychiactric care most of adult life, he was medicated... somtimes.

Sure would have been nice if his familiy had been able to be successful in their endeavors wouldn't it have been? .

• Like 1

Just think, you could've used that money on guns to get an education and would've understood what he said.
  • Like 2

Again, lets look back at the Cafe Racer mass murder in Seattle just a few short months ago. He killed 5 people and himself.

His family had been BEGGING to have his legal registered firearms removed. He'd been arrested in the past but never charged in several domestic cases (or in one case reduced to a misdemenor) ... his family stated they were not surprised he shot up a coffee shop, they knew it was just a matter of time. They did everything they could under the law to no avail. He was also in and out of psychiactric care most of adult life, he was medicated... somtimes.

Sure would have been nice if his familiy had been able to be successful in their endeavors wouldn't it have been? .

It would also be nice for the families of the people that kill themselves and don't take anyone with them, but that doesn't happen either.

• Like 2

RAPTOR, I think you used a poor example to get your point across. I'm pretty sure I see what you were aiming for but you missed your target a bit. Joe Blow doesn't sound like a man I would want to own a gun at all, and I'm all for our 2nd ammendment rights.

The example I chose was to distinguish a seemingly obvious threat, from the hidden threat we are facing.

Joe Blow is unlikely to kill anybody using a gun, and I believe any FBI profiler will back me up on this. His weapon of choice against another human being is his fist. He uses a gun to kill animals.

I'm not worried that Joe Blow will walk into a school, or hijack a school bus. I'm also not worried that he'll kill his coworkers if he gets fired from a job, because I know he doesn't fit the profile we are looking for.

The entity we are looking for is afraid to live, and he kills out of jealousy. Take the odd kid that is bullied in school. He's mad, and he hates, but what drives him over the edge is his jealousy of those who aren't afraid to live.

Rather than enacting more laws that will have little effect on what is now emerging, we need to have a serious national discussion on mental health advocacy for the specific profile we are looking for, because most of these individuals won't be visible to mental health professionals.

If I were designing the psychological test to own a gun, I would include a section that reveals a unique fear to live. WE can help those who are afraid to live, and turn a lot of those rats into pussycats.

Those who choose violence as a pastime are obvious to everyone.

Edited by Raptor Witness

Are you SURE Joe Blow isn't going to get drunk and start firing at people? I think I know Joe Blow... I worked with him. He is a raging alcoholic with serious anger issues. He got really drunk one afternoon and in his stupor he got increasingly angry at some kids floating down the river on a hot summer afternoon laughing and having a good time. He picked up his shotgun and fired out into the river from his deck ... repeatedly. Luckily NO one was injured. Joe Blow went to jail, lost his house and nearly lost his job too. No one ever thought Joe Blow would be capable of that. But there it was. The Joe Blow I know never lifted a hand to his wife or anyone else prior to that.

I'm pretty sure I don't want your Joe Blow who DOES beat his wife and who drinks to have a gun. I think I want his psychiatrist to call the cops and have his guns removed until he can show he's got his anger issues and drinking problem under control.

• Like 3