Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Why do none of you want to be rich?

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#46    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,012 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

View PostChrlzs, on 17 January 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

Very strange logic being applied here...

So, just to get this straight in my head - you guys are saying that your personal abilities must be kept to yourselves and your own chosen 'recipients'.  That you deliberately won't enlighten / educate the rest of the world, despite the fact that if these powers could be revealed / unleashed by all those who probably have them BUT who do not ever come to realise it BECAUSE you won't allow your claimed powers to be proven, tested, demonstrated, studied (and then passed on and developed by education).  Surely then they could be utilised by humanity to make a much better world..

But no, you guys don't want that.

Yep, that's the ticket - I think I get it now...

I'm sorta glad I don't have the powers - I don't really want to have that attitude.

With "the powers" come consequences which very early in life determine ones attitude to them and how much one discloses. I have had the police called in, had many people run away from me and the only way i kept my best mate as a young teenager was to lie and  say that i was cheating when i first read his mind to see what card he was turning over, and then began to predict the sequence of card s before he turned them over. I went through almost a whole pack without one error. It even scared me. i was about 12 or13 and that was one of the first times i realised i was a bit different AND that such differnces scared people .

I also had a work colleague very upset when I asked her in the staff room, how her preganacy was going and it was so new she hadn't told anyone except her parents.

ANother colloeague  luckily saw the funny side of it when i asked her why she was wearing a blokes boxer pants to bed at night because i had obed and accidentally observed her. I have had a young woman I was trying to impess in bar run away when i ran through her keys and told her what sort of door each one opened and what it was used for Eg an old wooden green door with peeling paint on a garden shed.

What freaked her out ultimately was when I said. "I am sorry i cant tell you what this ones for, because you dont know." She realised i was extracting the information about the keys form her head and took off in a flash.

I can list dozens of instances, the most common being finding objects that have been lost or stolen, as long as the person who lost them or stole them is close to me. Ive done online tests for clair audience with almost 100% accuracy and even helped a Um member with a stolen object. I dont think it was ever recovered, but she did  find out who stole it.

But it is rare for me to be able to succeed at a distance. Knolwledge comes if it is going to instanlty and i just know where something is and tell the person wher to find it. A mate lost his USB with school reports on it, but i had to tell him it was at the bottom of the ocean, and irrecoverable. THEN he remembered having it with him  when he went out on a state emergency  boat while they were doing a rescue call out, the last time he saw it. ANd lots of times i get nothing at all and jus thave to say, "sorry i cant help you "

Even people i help find valuable lost objects are very wary (except kids and teenagers. They seem to take it as normal)

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#47    CakeOrDeath

CakeOrDeath

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

• The Proof is in the "peeas nuhhh burder"

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

Again Mr. Walker, this post wasn't really targeted to mediums and mind readers, while that could constitute a power, it's not quite the "super hero" type stuff that several posters claim to perform on a regular and ongoing basis.

I actually think there is some plausibility that "sensitives," when it comes to human interaction, are "real" to a degree.  Science is actually looking at different ideas regarding "collective conscious" etc.

Edited by CakeOrDeath, 18 January 2013 - 12:58 AM.

What time is it? "peeas nuh burder" and Jelly time!

#48    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,012 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

View PostCakeOrDeath, on 18 January 2013 - 12:58 AM, said:

Again Mr. Walker, this post wasn't really targeted to mediums and mind readers, while that could constitute a power, it's not quite the "super hero" type stuff that several posters claim to perform on a regular and ongoing basis.

I actually think there is some plausibility that "sensitives," when it comes to human interaction, are "real" to a degree.  Science is actually looking at different ideas regarding "collective conscious" etc.
I appreciate this. I have tried to explain my own abilities as as clearly as i can. However, while i have no evidence of other forms of paranormal abilities, I am reluctant to dismiss them because i know what it feels like to be disbelieved and dismissed in my own case.

I find it highly unlikely that anyone can create enough physical energy to  throw a psi ball or move a solid object against the pull of gravity, and yet i have had a healer touch me in a supermarket, and felt an equivalent heat /energy to a powerful heat lamp used for muscle damage.  My own badly torn ligamants were partly healed by this heat and power, and all pain was removed. And if that much heat can be generated by a human body and  convected into my own,  then it may be possible for other forms of energy, like light or kinetic, to be likewise created by the human body and transmitted or convected.
Ps when i asked around about the guy who just walked up to me while i was almost passing out with  agony  in the checkout aisle, and healed me, I found out he was a trainer with the local football club who helped heal sports injuries by touch and prayer. The club obviously found him very effective, despite his unorthodox methodology, as he had worked with them for many years.

Edited by Mr Walker, 18 January 2013 - 09:37 AM.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#49    CakeOrDeath

CakeOrDeath

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

Maybe he walks around with large amounts of tiger balm on his hand... :w00t:   Just teasing hehe.  Honestly, I'm not as "dismissive" as I might seem in some of my posts.  I just am amazed how matter-o-factly alot things are talked about in this section, and yet the world and scientific community at large, has not found any of these rather open "energy manipulating" individual willing to share some of their exeriences and discoveries.

Surely you don't really think that "science" is standing by just waiting to turn the first psi-ball user they validate into a guinea pig?  People here make scientist all sound like the baddies from Austin Powers or something.

Going back to what I was saying about "real" empaths, psychics etc, there is some research being done, that while not strong enough to be proposed as "theory" yet, is showing some pretty interesting things as it relates to groups sharing collective feelings or "being on the same page" in moments of stress and trauma. It wouldn't suprise me in the least if it turns out that "sensitives" are acutally...wait for it "sensitives" haha and more readily able to perceive and decode some of the information via this "collective conscious."

#50    cybills_double

cybills_double

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:14 AM

To the lovely people on this forum who do embrace their gifts, how can I continue to develop mine? I have had experiences showing that I may be a medium, but I often struggle with differing what I'm getting versus what could be my own thoughts. I often times don't want to say anything for fear of being wrong. The first time I spoke up, i was validated and it encouraged me to speak up the second, and then third time. I haven't opened up since. Any thoughts and suggestions are very welcome!

#51    The Id3al Experience

The Id3al Experience

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Before enlightenment peel the potatoes, after enlightenment, peel the potatoes.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:23 AM

View Postcybills_double, on 21 January 2013 - 06:14 AM, said:

To the lovely people on this forum who do embrace their gifts, how can I continue to develop mine? I have had experiences showing that I may be a medium, but I often struggle with differing what I'm getting versus what could be my own thoughts. I often times don't want to say anything for fear of being wrong. The first time I spoke up, i was validated and it encouraged me to speak up the second, and then third time. I haven't opened up since. Any thoughts and suggestions are very welcome!

The way I learnt to learn the difference between my own thoughts, and anothers was meditation... Learning to quiet the mind is the first step to learning the difference between thoughts. Its the moments in between each of your thoughts you should learn to listen to carefully

Posted Image

#52    CakeOrDeath

CakeOrDeath

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

If you have alot of "other vocies" in your head between thoughts, the first thing I would do is share that experience with your family doctor and see if they refer you to someone for proper diagnosis.

#53    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,012 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

On the other hand i found from my experience tha two things work. An open mind, and developing a sensitivity to your instinctive first thoughts  Most of my paranormal abilities come to me in an instant. If i am open to them i hear them if i follow tha tfirst nanaoseconds response I am  right. If i hesitate or deny the possibility even for a second or two  it disappears.
This, in part, fits with cia funded darpa research which demonstrated that we can ALL predict the next few seconds of our life. This might have cost millions to prove something which is logically self evident, but none the less it is interesting.
Then you need to study, practice, work at things, like any other talent or skill.
You will be wrong (or inmy case simply not know) sometimes, and you need to be honest about this, and not try and fake it. Faking it sets up other pathways in your mind, and seems to block off the natural right responses
However once something is in your mind DO think carefully about how it will affect a listener, and be careful how you say something, and what you say. You might even choose NOT to reveal something, if you know it will hurt another..

Edited by Mr Walker, 23 January 2013 - 12:41 AM.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#54    The Id3al Experience

The Id3al Experience

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Before enlightenment peel the potatoes, after enlightenment, peel the potatoes.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:59 AM

View PostCakeOrDeath, on 23 January 2013 - 12:39 AM, said:

If you have alot of "other vocies" in your head between thoughts, the first thing I would do is share that experience with your family doctor and see if they refer you to someone for proper diagnosis.

Although I understood what you were implying I will say Medical/Physological Doctors are not educated in this area... and there diagnosis would be incorrect. I will see my Family doctor for the flu, or may be my bad Knee...

Posted Image

#55    cybills_double

cybills_double

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:44 AM

View PostThe Id3al Experience, on 23 January 2013 - 01:59 AM, said:

Although I understood what you were implying I will say Medical/Physological Doctors are not educated in this area... and there diagnosis would be incorrect. I will see my Family doctor for the flu, or may be my bad Knee...

Haha... I did go see someone at first, because I did think I was losing it. The psychiatrist, perfectly well-trained and with decades of experience, did NOT diagnose me with any "disorder". So no, I don't have a mental disorder that causes me to hear and see things that aren't there.

#56    Simatong

Simatong

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 72 posts

• "Life is what you make it...So let's make some friggin' ice cream, dude!

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

I think that in many ways it just doesn't work like that.Sometimes a person may try to actively foresee an exact outcome of an exact situation, but it may end up being about an event unrelated to something like the lottery. For example, a true "precog" may see/sense the numbers 12, 27, 81, 92, 43 when trying to figure out lottery numbers and be completely off the mark, but then they may find out those numbers correspond to something else (meaningful and significant without having to be far-fetched), such as being invited to a kid's 12th birthday party on the 27th of the month where there are exactly 81 people attending in a building on 92nd Street, and the presents you bought them just happen to come out to $43.00 exactly. Sometimes a truly precognitive person doesn't always see what they necessarily WANT to see, but if you are truly precognitive, whatever you are seeing will almost always come to pass. Another example to close my case (for now, anyway): Say a person sees something weird like liquid nitrogen and a Camarro in their future, not long before their birthday. They may assume that since their dad just told them he was going to buy them a car that it is going to be a Camarro and somehow liquid nitrogen is connected to the car (I know it's weird, but just work with me here). Their dad instead gives them a 2001 Mustang or something like that, and it has nothing to do with liquid nitrogen. Obviously the vision was wrong right? Well, let's assume that 12 hours or 24 hours later they are offered unexpectedly offered a ride by someone driving a Camarro, and while riding with them they tell you about their work and that they actually do things with liquid nitrogen.  The trouble with a lot of precognitive people is that they often make assumptions about what they are seeing (you are trying to see lottery numbers but instead see numbers related to a birthday party, or you see a car on your birthday and assume it is your present when it is actually the limited description of a future event unrelated to your birthday). To paraphrase Raven Baxter from That's So Raven: Sometimes you see it right but read it wrong. Either way,as I said before, if you are truly precognitive, whether or not what you predict is related to the current situation you are trying to find information about, you will almost always see your prediction come true. Plain and simple.

#57    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 2,994 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

View PostSimatong, on 24 January 2013 - 11:10 PM, said:

...but it may end up being about an event unrelated to something like the lottery...
Given that our brains are absolutely *wonderful* at massaging (and if necessary slightly altering or selectively remembering) data to fit situations, I'm afraid you have to very careful of what scientists call "Confirmation Bias".  It's rather like pareidolia - our brains are exceptionally good at finding patterns and shapes from randomness.  And there *will* be coincidences..

You simply can't do an after the event analysis and see what else you can find to match up - that's exactly what Confirmation Bias is - you are almost certain to find something, and that will just re-inforce your belief - all the misses get ignored, when in fact their existence is far more important than the odd selective hits..

The simple fact is that as soon as you use proper controls, the 'effect' vanishes or becomes statistically insignificant.

___
All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

#58    Simatong

Simatong

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

As far as getting tested goes, those of you talking like that are thinking from a purely scientific standpoint. While your points are quite relevant, let's assume someone with demonstrated psychic abilities steps forward and gets tested. As you know, science is generally not satisfied with a couple of tests. When a theory (especially one purported to challenge the established laws of physics as we know them) is brought to the fore, dozens, if not hundreds of tests needs to be done. This also comes along with exposure and the risk of ridicule (from religion, psychology, colleagues, and even worse, family), not to mention the amount of pressure put on that person by both those who see the person as their Golden Chalice and those skeptics looking for any and every questionable result they can find. That is a lot of freaking pressure! Hell, I don't even know if one million dollars from James Randi is worth all that! So what's better? Just telling a few select people you can trust,  and going on with your normal existence with the normal paycheck you get every one to two weeks? Or dealing with a scientifically and psychologically revolutionary find that makes you rich beyond your wildest dreams while being pressured, ridiculed and quite possibly rejected, regardless of whether you pass or fail? Different people will choose different things, but can you really blame people for choosing the former over the latter? Besides, you talk about bettering humanity? If there truly are Reiki or vitakinetic healers and empaths in the world, should they be blessed and able to help even a few people, even one, is that not doing something for mankind in and of itself? If a truly precognitive person can give hope for the future to even one soul, isn't that helping people in some way? Why on Earth should truly gifted people have to reveal themselves in this time and age just to be able to help someone? Silent good Samaritans exist everywhere, be they paranormal or be they mundane.

Edited by Simatong, 25 January 2013 - 12:11 AM.

#59    CakeOrDeath

CakeOrDeath

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:52 AM

Meh, there are people in every demographic that thrive on pressure and challenge and risk vs reward.   There are soooo many magically gifted people on this site and others like it, that I find it rather implausible that none of them have that "Michael jordan" out look, that not one of these gifted psionicists has decided to "Magneto" it up abit.

To me it seems like a built in crutch.  I always hear the same 2 tired arguements.  1 - we are too altruistic to want to reap any personal accolades or attention.  2 - We are afraid we will become guinea pigs.

Surely someone in the masses of you wthl these awesome abilities has to have the stones to accept the challenge, to champion that cause for your gifted brethren?

Edited by CakeOrDeath, 25 January 2013 - 12:53 AM.

#60    Simatong

Simatong

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

View PostChrlzs, on 24 January 2013 - 11:38 PM, said:

Given that our brains are absolutely *wonderful* at massaging (and if necessary slightly altering or selectively remembering) data to fit situations, I'm afraid you have to very careful of what scientists call "Confirmation Bias".  It's rather like pareidolia - our brains are exceptionally good at finding patterns and shapes from randomness.  And there *will* be coincidences..

You simply can't do an after the event analysis and see what else you can find to match up - that's exactly what Confirmation Bias is - you are almost certain to find something, and that will just re-inforce your belief - all the misses get ignored, when in fact their existence is far more important than the odd selective hits..

The simple fact is that as soon as you use proper controls, the 'effect' vanishes or becomes statistically insignificant.

I am well aware of confirmation bias, and while in many situations it can be pegged as the culprit, there comes a point in time when it can no longer be the case. But it also comes down to evaluation of what is seen. You see liquid nitrogen in relation to a Camarro. What are the chances that within one day of having this vision, a person who gives you a ride in a Camarro starts talking about working with liquid nitrogen (a topic you yourself did not bring up). Besides, confirmation bias also seems to imply that you are really grasping for straws (thinking of your friend and thinking about them wearing a blue shirt, then getting a call from them with them talking about getting a new blue shirt, afterwards saying you foresaw it, even though they call you once every 2 to 3 days, they buy new shirts on an almost monthly basis, and their favorite color is blue). However, having a vision about liquid nitrogen and a Camarro and then having someone drive a Camarro while talking about liquid nitrogen isn't looking for any old type of confirmation that may remotely fit. The liquid nitrogen in relation to a Camarro is exactly what the person saw.

For the sake of argument, one would be able to explain this as coincidence if this was an isolated incident, but if this is a consistent thing, I can't call it confirmation bias.
1) Say the same precognitive person sees a vision about a a whole bunch of teeth and dentist imagery in a garbage dump and/or a garbage man surrounded by teeth, and a week later is in the dentist's office where a garbage man sitting next to him is complaining about needing to get his teeth pulled after he just got back from the dump
2)That same precognitive person has a vision that they are watching the Nutcracker play and a car cashes through the stage, and a month later his teacher comes in with a broken arm because she was in a car accident a half an hour after seeing the Nutcracker play
3) The precog sees a vision about an alien on a motorcycle wearing a dominatrix suit while holding an obsidian stone, and a week later he and his date go to see a movie about aliens (that he had no prior knowledge of and didn't know he was going to see until one day prior), and after the date he is taken to a biker bar where there's a man wearing an alien on the shirt. His  (the biker's) girlfriend says she is a dominatrix and the man starts randomly talking about his love of geology and the peculiarities of obsidian.
These visions coming from the same person, with similar situations happening over and over, cannot be considered confirmation bias. Things can only happen so many times before they are no longer considered coincidence, which is why I advocate for self-testing (for those who believe they are psychic/telekinetic, and I would probably suggest doing testing over at least a 1-2 year span, if not more). If you are truly psychic or telekinetic, the experiences will happen so many times and/or in such a way that confirmation bias can no longer be considered as a factor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users