Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Gigantic Spider in Sri Lanka

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1    quasar_kid

quasar_kid

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:43 PM

http://metro.co.uk/2...-lanka-3581017/

It's allegedly almost as huge as a human head. Too bad we don't have a comparison, apparently it has its own Wiki page (kinda) http://en.wikipedia....lotheria_rajaei

They're pretty rare, so I'm guessing it has been discovered "by accident".

Edited by quasar_kid, 03 April 2013 - 11:45 PM.

#2    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:50 PM

Imagine waking up to that on the pillow next to you haha

I think it looks quite a pretty creature, some nice blue colourings.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#3    GoSC

GoSC

Galatians 3:8,14 Ephesians 2:14, 3:6

• 2,579 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:54 PM

Wow, how awesome. In the invert pet trade, the Poecilotheria species is given the common name of Ornamental Spiders for good reason. Every  one of these arboreal tarantulas are stunningly gorgeous.

This rather oversized species certainly won't be making the pet trade though.

Church raptured? Ephesians 3:9-11,21
9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,
11 According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:
21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

#4    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:10 AM

View PostB Jenkins, on 03 April 2013 - 11:54 PM, said:

Wow, how awesome. In the invert pet trade, the Poecilotheria species is given the common name of Ornamental Spiders for good reason. Every  one of these arboreal tarantulas are stunningly gorgeous.

This rather oversized species certainly won't be making the pet trade though.

I sincerely hope not, but they probably will make it through the black market.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

#5    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,579 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:15 AM

View PostThe Skater Boy, on 04 April 2013 - 12:10 AM, said:

I sincerely hope not, but they probably will make it through the black market.

Sadly, most certainly.

9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,
21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

#6    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,085 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:51 AM

Don't like spiders and snakes.

However it is a nice looking specimen as long as its not close to me.

#7    AliveInDeath7

AliveInDeath7

Eternal Seeker

• 2,648 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:44 AM

Gorgeous creature.

#8    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,579 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:15 AM

Some species in the pet trade can fetch $100s of dollars. Such as this one, Poecilotheria metallica:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This species are jungle arboreals, very quick and have a nastier venom than say the common Rose-Hair. No a good choice for inexperience tarantula keepers.

#9    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,579 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:23 AM

Poecilotheria rufilata

Posted Image

#10    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,579 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:24 AM

There are just about under a dozen species IIRC available in the pet trade.

#11    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,579 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:27 AM

one more for good measure, Poecilotheria striata

Posted Image

#12    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:32 AM

View PostB Jenkins, on 04 April 2013 - 04:15 AM, said:

Some species in the pet trade can fetch $100s of dollars. Such as this one, Poecilotheria metallica:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This species are jungle arboreals, very quick and have a nastier venom than say the common Rose-Hair. No a good choice for inexperience tarantula keepers.

Wow, that is one beautiful creature. Thanks for sharing these pics.

I don't really think any spiders or things of that nature should be in captivity. It really is cruel, if you think about it, cooped in a small tank for the rest of their life. Sure, they don't have to hunt as they would in the wild, so don't go hungry, but they're living creatures with feelings and personalities and they must know it's a prison. At least those that are taken directly from the wild. Breaks my heart to think about it, that they don't have the one basic right all animals should be born with: freedom. It's not like you can let them out to wander around the house and give them that little bit of freedom like more domesticated animals.

And people wonder why some captive animals snap out of the blue, like those whales at Sea World.

Edited by The Skater Boy, 04 April 2013 - 04:37 AM.

#13    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,579 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 04:50 AM

You're welcome.

Here is another, Poecilotheria ornata, and these species are facing major habitat destruction atop of it all. But one benefit is these species have been successfully bred in captivity and that could be useful for conservation purposes.

Posted Image

HANDLING IS NOT RECOMMENDED, THIS SPECIES IS VERY FAST, SKITTISH, AND THE VENOM THOUGH NOT DEADLY MAY REQUIRE A TRIP TO THE HOSPITAL.
Posted Image

#14    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

I love their markings.

#15    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 35,911 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

Well spiders and me just don't get along! However if I look at the pics posted without thinking of them as being those eight legged creatures that freak me out.....then their colours are rather pretty, especially in blue. I can't believe I said that :unsure2:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users