Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Gigantic Spider in Sri Lanka

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#16    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 04 April 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

Well spiders and me just don't get along! However if I look at the pics posted without thinking of them as being those eight legged creatures that freak me out.....then their colours are rather pretty, especially in blue. I can't believe I said that :unsure2:

Haha I honestly don't get the spider dislike that so many people seem to have embedded into them. Does make me wonder if in older times spiders bigger than these bad boys roamed and preyed on humans (well kids, the sick etc) and it just became a built in fear for us to stay away from or hurt them.

I honestly don't mind if I see one on the wall, though it could at least help with the rent! Admittedly though, I do feel a little.. I dunno, insecure if I see them one minute and the next they're gone :td: I couldn't ever bring myself to kill one though and to kill one of these ones would be such a shame (and a mess!)

I adore these pictures though. Just as cute to look at as a puppy or kitten to me :D

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#17    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

View PostThe Skater Boy, on 04 April 2013 - 04:32 AM, said:

Wow, that is one beautiful creature. Thanks for sharing these pics.

I don't really think any spiders or things of that nature should be in captivity. It really is cruel, if you think about it, cooped in a small tank for the rest of their life. Sure, they don't have to hunt as they would in the wild, so don't go hungry, but they're living creatures with feelings and personalities and they must know it's a prison. At least those that are taken directly from the wild. Breaks my heart to think about it, that they don't have the one basic right all animals should be born with: freedom. It's not like you can let them out to wander around the house and give them that little bit of freedom like more domesticated animals.

And people wonder why some captive animals snap out of the blue, like those whales at Sea World.

The difference is that Orcas are highly intelligent and get bored rather easily in confinement, and they are if you'll pardon the expression, "natural born killers" of large mammals. If you put one of these spiders in a say, a 100 gallon tank with plants, branches, hiding places, a bit of sand or soil, water, a heat lamp on one end and feed it regularly with a variety of insects, it would probably be quite content. It'd not like it requires a great deal of intellectual stimulation, it is pretty much driven by instinct. Really it's little different than tropical fish in an aquarium, or a leopard gecko in a terrarium. And like many tropical fish, they can be bred in captivity so if you buy from a breeder you are not taking them out of the wild.

That said I've never had any interest in keeping spiders, but I do think the little jumping spiders are neat.

#18    Rye17

Rye17

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 237 posts

• God made me agnostic... who am I to question his wisdom

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

Attached File  anymore.jpg   32.83K   0 downloads

#19    Ashyne

Ashyne

Once Believer Now Sceptic

• 1,504 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

Eight-legged freaks.

#20    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,670 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:50 PM

The big spiders/trantualas have never really creeped me out. It's small ones thta creep me out. I have a really wierd sensitivity about my eyes and ears and the thougth of a spider or similar creature going into my ear terrifies me. lol

Contact lenses.... NEVER happeneing. That is how bad i am with that... lol

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#21    paperdyer

paperdyer

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

I see a SyFy Saturday movie coming out of this.  Illegally brought into the country while breeding like rabbits.  Or in the wilds of Sri Lanka on an expedition....you can fill in the rest.

#22    IamLegend

IamLegend

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts

• "The mind of a child is where the revolution begins" - Immortal Technique

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

Posted Image

#23    krypter3

krypter3

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

• “My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.” A.A Milne

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

As an Australian, I can easily say.  Screw spiders.

#24    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,151 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

View PostB Jenkins, on 04 April 2013 - 04:50 AM, said:

Here is another, Poecilotheria ornata, and these species are facing major habitat destruction atop of it all. But one benefit is these species have been successfully bred in captivity and that could be useful for conservation purposes.

HANDLING IS NOT RECOMMENDED, THIS SPECIES IS VERY FAST, SKITTISH, AND THE VENOM THOUGH NOT DEADLY MAY REQUIRE A TRIP TO THE HOSPITAL.
Posted Image

Hell NO. Keep that one far, far away from me. EEEkkkkk.

#25    pitchp

pitchp

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 210 posts

• "I go when I want to go. To prolong life would be tasteless"
    Albert Einstein

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

there are almost 50,000 different kinds of spiders. Every day scientist discovers a new species. Spiders are the most highly adaptable creatures on this planet. So if you kill a spider, don't feel to bad. They out number humans by a lot!

#26    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

View PostB Jenkins, on 04 April 2013 - 04:15 AM, said:

Some species in the pet trade can fetch $100s of dollars. Such as this one, Poecilotheria metallica:

Posted Image

Posted Image

This species are jungle arboreals, very quick and have a nastier venom than say the common Rose-Hair. No a good choice for inexperience tarantula keepers.

You should change your screen name to 'the spider man'... :P  lol

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#27    Starseed hybrid 1111

Starseed hybrid 1111

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 326 posts

• "Take the Red Matrix pill" be your own authentic self neo

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

that's awesome and cool i want one of these types of spiders but i don't feel comfortable feeding it live food though so i won't get one.but nonetheless its cool they found a new species of these spiders though.are they only native in that country though?i seen spiders like tarantulas though at the zoo and etc they are cool

#28    Dien

Dien

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

Man these spiders look pretty hipster with all those colors.  It's like they are trying to blend in with today's youth.

#29    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

I would never have though you would say that.. lol.. pretty spider!

The most disturbing thing about this is... It suddenly becomes a commodity, something of value rather than a wonder of nature.

As humans why cant we just accept something for its beauty, rather than what it could earn for us.

Posted Image

#30    Hobbit Feet

Hobbit Feet

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 102 posts

• Drop me off at Willoughby and take me to Aunt T's!

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:37 PM

We have lots of tarantulas here is southern AZ. Just the "regular" kind but they can get pretty big for spiders. I don't mind them at all. We also have "tarantula hawks", which is a huge wasp (I've seen adults about 2 inches) that stings the tarantula when it's in it's burrow, then lays it's eggs on it. The wasp fills in the burrow and the larva eat the tarantula. I've read on a scale of 1 to 10 their sting is a 10. I see one of those things flying at me I'm gonna R U N N O F T! The other thing I hate are scorpions. Try turning on your bedside lamp and see one on the wall next to it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users