Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cool & Funny Coincidences

pluto11

I am bad at driving, I don't like to do it unless I have to, and have the freedom to go to the store or a friend's, but I hate traffic and cities and I always get lost.

And I got lost coming back to northeast Oklahoma from Sulfur Oklahoma, about a 3 hour drive, and was running out of gas. Somewhere about an hour and a half away, which I'd never have been able to figure out myself. I saw someone's license plate that said "Davis" on it, the county where the car is from, and that was the last name of my friend's wife I went to see, so I said "I'm just going to follow this car. It's going to take me back to Tulsa." and by sheer chance, it did. It lead me right into Tulsa and then I drove home.

• Like 1

I am bad at driving, I don't like to do it unless I have to, and have the freedom to go to the store or a friend's, but I hate traffic and cities and I always get lost.

And I got lost coming back to northeast Oklahoma from Sulfur Oklahoma, about a 3 hour drive, and was running out of gas. Somewhere about an hour and a half away, which I'd never have been able to figure out myself. I saw someone's license plate that said "Davis" on it, the county where the car is from, and that was the last name of my friend's wife I went to see, so I said "I'm just going to follow this car. It's going to take me back to Tulsa." and by sheer chance, it did. It lead me right into Tulsa and then I drove home.

Glad to know that you arrived home safely.....even if it was done by chance..by following the other vehicle.

It might be worth investing in a navigation system for your car. They can be a life saver on the road if you find yourself lost.

In 1976 I moved to a small city where I had only visited a few times before. I arrived late on a Sunday afternoon and put up at a hotel. The following day I went to work, which finished up at 4pm and so had until 5pm or so to start finding permanent accommodation. So I went down to the main street, parked and had walked about 50 yards when I saw coming the other way the mother, father and sister of my best friend in primary school days. They were in that town for just that afternoon, on their way to a beach house they had just bought. After chatting to them briefly, I went round the corner and into a real estate agent business. The man behind the counter had been a friend of my parents for years and had moved to the city about five years before. He could not help me, they had no rental properties on their books at the time.

I did not see my old friend's family again until I was invited to the sister's wedding a few years later.

Edited by Codenwarra

After many more serious misadventures, the watch I had been given on my 12th birthday nine years before slid off a bed, bounced off my foot and stopped. So a few days later I went to buy a new one. I selected a "Roamer Mustang", which was one of the first electronic analog watches on the market. It was the only one in the shop and the shop was the only place you could buy a watch in that little town.

A few weeks later at work, I noticed a colleague had an identical watch. He was Swiss, and he told me he had bought it at the factory gate just before leaving Switzerland. He paid a lot less than I did, too. I have never seen another watch the same.

Thousands of coincidences listed at:

http://understandinguncertainty.org/coincidences

I don't know whether this is a coincidence or just blind luck. One weekend I drove out to the old home town, about four hours on the road. On the way back I noticed that fuel was getting low so I pulled in at a BP service station in a small mining town about two hours drive from home. When I got home I noticed that the fuel filler cap was missing and I realised that it must have been left at the service station. So on the Monday I stopped at a parts business and got a temporary plastic one, intending to visit the dealer the following weekend.

Two days later the phone rang and it it was Lori Newman, the wife of an acquaintance. She said that she had my fuel tank cap! Turned out that her father ran the service station in the mining town and somehow knew me. I don't recall ever meeting the man. It's still a mystery to me.

Edited by Codenwarra