Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 2 votes

Ex-soldier told to repaint his St George's

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

An ex-soldier who painted a St George’s flag on his front door was ordered to cover it up by his landlords who claim it could be considered 'offensive' and may bring 'distress' to neighbours.

Steven Rolfe, 52, painted the red and white colours of the English flag upon on his rented home in Preston, Lancashire, in 2003. He also said he put up hanging baskets to celebrate his love of England and mark his former career in the forces.

View: Read more

Posted Image

#2    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,148 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:43 PM

Since he don't own the property the landlord has a right to make him repaint it.  I don't know why he waited 10 years to do so if he really thought it was offensive.  Apparently others didn't since he was the runner up in best kept house competition.  It wouldn't of bothered me.

#3    Spiral staircase

Spiral staircase

Breaking

• 3,607 posts

• Such an ugly feeling that won't leave.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:37 PM

Blame the EDL for turning that into a symbol of hate.

#4    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

View PostHilander, on 20 May 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

Since he don't own the property the landlord has a right to make him repaint it.  I don't know why he waited 10 years to do so if he really thought it was offensive.  Apparently others didn't since he was the runner up in best kept house competition.  It wouldn't of bothered me.

It's probably just now that anyone complained ,so now he tells him to remove it.
That would be like telling an American to remove the flag ifo their house .
That would be a huge deal

Miss me?

#5    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,674 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 02:56 PM

I know how he feels. I have the 'privilege' of owning a 'Listed' Building, and I can't as much as change the front door knob without consulting the Parish Council!

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 20 May 2013 - 02:37 PM, said:

I just knew there'd be one! In that case, in view of all those "Behead those who insult Islam" And "Kill the Kafir" demonstrations, please get all the crescents removed from the tops of mosques in the UK! (Or is it only the English who aren't allowed to be proud of their heritage?)

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#6    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,009 posts

• Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 20 May 2013 - 02:37 PM, said:

Er....since when. !!!

God spare us from the professionally offended.

Edited by itsnotoutthere, 20 May 2013 - 03:32 PM.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#7    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,009 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

p.s.

I think it's about time they brought in a law against being offended.
No doubt occasionally gentile delicate ladies fainted in victorian times by being offended but when was the last time somebody died of being offended?
It's time the professionally offended brigade grew up. I'm offended everytime I see a fat girl wearing leggings, but I manage to survive.
Next time something like this happens somebody should just say    "ok, you're offended.......so what"

Edited by itsnotoutthere, 20 May 2013 - 04:10 PM.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#8    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,674 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

Ealdwita snippet alert......

I would rather England revert to an 'English' Patron Saint (traditionally St.Edward the Confessor)  instead of some semi-mythical Palestinian who only emerged from Edward's shadow when in 1552, during the Reformation, all other Saints' banners were banned.

I also believe we should revert to the original Anglo Saxon banner of the White Dragon.......

Posted Image

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#9    Spiral staircase

Spiral staircase

Breaking

• 3,607 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

Was not aware of any specific Islamic hate group operating in the UK that used the crescent as its symbol.

The crescent is a universal symbol of a major world religion.

Those wishing to suppress Muslims and not allow them to display the crescent on Islamic mosques maybe share similar sentiments to the EDL.

That is the exact type of hate, suppression, and/or intolerance the EDL is known for.

I was also not aware that St. George's Cross was specifically used as a symbol for the British Army.

Blame the EDL. If you want anything to change then protest against the EDL.

If their is reluctance to that then perhaps supporting them is your cup of tea. Expect frowns.

#10    The Sky Scanner

The Sky Scanner

Observer

• 5,374 posts

• The loud ones never last!

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 20 May 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

Was not aware of any specific Islamic hate group operating in the UK that used the crescent as its symbol.

Those wishing to suppress Muslims and not allow them to display the crescent on Islamic mosques maybe share similar sentiments to the EDL.

That is the exact type of hate, suppression, and/or intolerance the EDL is known for.

I was also not aware that St. George's Cross was specifically used as a symbol for the British Army.

If their is reluctance to that then perhaps supporting them is your cup of tea. Expect frowns.

I don't need to blame the EDL - it isn't their flag.

Personally, I don't have any desire to fly any flag (find it a bit silly)....but if I ever do, I will, and i'll fly it where ever I like. If someone has a problem with that then I won't blame the EDL (who are a pointless non entity in the grand scheme of things anyway), I will blame those who have a problem with it, and i'll probably give them a history book too seeing as they clearly wasn't aware that a small fringe group that has only been about for a few years didn't invent the flag to begin with.

Edited by Sky Scanner, 20 May 2013 - 07:57 PM.

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

#11    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

An Inspiration to Millions

• 23,420 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:57 PM

EDL? Haven't heard much from them lately. May as well protest against the Ku Klux Klan.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#12    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,009 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:10 PM

I think you'll find that this is the sort of 'intolerance' EDL are protesting against.
Attached File  Islam.jpg   21.94K   8 downloads
Definition of 'irony'

Edited by itsnotoutthere, 20 May 2013 - 09:10 PM.

― Groucho Marx

#13    Spiral staircase

Spiral staircase

Breaking

• 3,607 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

Well, while nativist and/or Islamophobic views are expected they are not universally appreciated.

Some of us are glad this symbol of hate will be removed. Good marks to whoever reported it and hopefully it will inform others to do the same whenever symbols of intolerance are encountered, however well disguised or claims of innocence proclaimed. Now he knows.

#14    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,009 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:32 PM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 20 May 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

Well, while nativist and/or Islamophobic views are expected they are not universally appreciated.

Some of us are glad this symbol of hate will be removed. Good marks to whoever reported it and hopefully it will inform others to do the same whenever symbols of intolerance are encountered, however well disguised or claims of innocence proclaimed. Now he knows.

'symbol of hate' !!!   it's the English flag you muppet.

― Groucho Marx

#15    Spiral staircase

Spiral staircase

Breaking

• 3,607 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:44 PM

That some are willing to personally call others names shows anger, coupled with the demonstrated intolerance toward Muslims, it all leaves little doubt that such measures as described in the OP are necessary.

In a more tolerant climate where traditional symbols are not perverted and where others would reclaim such symbols for more traditional uses by confronting intolerance instead of contributing toward it then things would be different.

For now the need is definitely established.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users