Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ex-soldier told to repaint his St George's

Commander CMG

An ex-soldier who painted a St George’s flag on his front door was ordered to cover it up by his landlords who claim it could be considered 'offensive' and may bring 'distress' to neighbours.

Steven Rolfe, 52, painted the red and white colours of the English flag upon on his rented home in Preston, Lancashire, in 2003. He also said he put up hanging baskets to celebrate his love of England and mark his former career in the forces.

arrow3.gifView: Read more

Since he don't own the property the landlord has a right to make him repaint it. I don't know why he waited 10 years to do so if he really thought it was offensive. Apparently others didn't since he was the runner up in best kept house competition. It wouldn't of bothered me.

• Like 2

Blame the EDL for turning that into a symbol of hate.

Since he don't own the property the landlord has a right to make him repaint it. I don't know why he waited 10 years to do so if he really thought it was offensive. Apparently others didn't since he was the runner up in best kept house competition. It wouldn't of bothered me.

It's probably just now that anyone complained ,so now he tells him to remove it.

That would be like telling an American to remove the flag ifo their house .

That would be a huge deal

I know how he feels. I have the 'privilege' of owning a 'Listed' Building, and I can't as much as change the front door knob without consulting the Parish Council!

I just knew there'd be one! In that case, in view of all those "Behead those who insult Islam" And "Kill the Kafir" demonstrations, please get all the crescents removed from the tops of mosques in the UK! (Or is it only the English who aren't allowed to be proud of their heritage?)

• Like 7

Er....since when. !!!

God spare us from the professionally offended.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 2

p.s.

I think it's about time they brought in a law against being offended.

No doubt occasionally gentile delicate ladies fainted in victorian times by being offended but when was the last time somebody died of being offended?

It's time the professionally offended brigade grew up. I'm offended everytime I see a fat girl wearing leggings, but I manage to survive.

Next time something like this happens somebody should just say "ok, you're offended.......so what"

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 7

Ealdwita snippet alert......

I would rather England revert to an 'English' Patron Saint (traditionally St.Edward the Confessor) instead of some semi-mythical Palestinian who only emerged from Edward's shadow when in 1552, during the Reformation, all other Saints' banners were banned.

I also believe we should revert to the original Anglo Saxon banner of the White Dragon.......

3c225a4f-0f48-489d-ae95-388c9b41d708_zps9bf08c5e.jpg

• Like 8

Was not aware of any specific Islamic hate group operating in the UK that used the crescent as its symbol.

The crescent is a universal symbol of a major world religion.

Those wishing to suppress Muslims and not allow them to display the crescent on Islamic mosques maybe share similar sentiments to the EDL.

That is the exact type of hate, suppression, and/or intolerance the EDL is known for.

I was also not aware that St. George's Cross was specifically used as a symbol for the British Army.

Blame the EDL. If you want anything to change then protest against the EDL.

If their is reluctance to that then perhaps supporting them is your cup of tea. Expect frowns.

Was not aware of any specific Islamic hate group operating in the UK that used the crescent as its symbol.

Those wishing to suppress Muslims and not allow them to display the crescent on Islamic mosques maybe share similar sentiments to the EDL.

That is the exact type of hate, suppression, and/or intolerance the EDL is known for.

I was also not aware that St. George's Cross was specifically used as a symbol for the British Army.

If their is reluctance to that then perhaps supporting them is your cup of tea. Expect frowns.

I don't need to blame the EDL - it isn't their flag.

Personally, I don't have any desire to fly any flag (find it a bit silly)....but if I ever do, I will, and i'll fly it where ever I like. If someone has a problem with that then I won't blame the EDL (who are a pointless non entity in the grand scheme of things anyway), I will blame those who have a problem with it, and i'll probably give them a history book too seeing as they clearly wasn't aware that a small fringe group that has only been about for a few years didn't invent the flag to begin with.

Edited by Sky Scanner
  • Like 1

EDL? Haven't heard much from them lately. May as well protest against the Ku Klux Klan.

I think you'll find that this is the sort of 'intolerance' EDL are protesting against.

post-39751-0-38850300-1369084203_thumb.j

Definition of 'irony'

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 2

Well, while nativist and/or Islamophobic views are expected they are not universally appreciated.

Some of us are glad this symbol of hate will be removed. Good marks to whoever reported it and hopefully it will inform others to do the same whenever symbols of intolerance are encountered, however well disguised or claims of innocence proclaimed. Now he knows.

Well, while nativist and/or Islamophobic views are expected they are not universally appreciated.

Some of us are glad this symbol of hate will be removed. Good marks to whoever reported it and hopefully it will inform others to do the same whenever symbols of intolerance are encountered, however well disguised or claims of innocence proclaimed. Now he knows.

'symbol of hate' !!! it's the English flag you muppet.

• Like 7

That some are willing to personally call others names shows anger, coupled with the demonstrated intolerance toward Muslims, it all leaves little doubt that such measures as described in the OP are necessary.

In a more tolerant climate where traditional symbols are not perverted and where others would reclaim such symbols for more traditional uses by confronting intolerance instead of contributing toward it then things would be different.

For now the need is definitely established.

That some are willing to personally call others names shows anger, coupled with the demonstrated intolerance toward Muslims, it all leaves little doubt that such measures as described in the OP are necessary.

In a more tolerant climate where traditional symbols are not perverted and where others would reclaim such symbols for more traditional uses by confronting intolerance instead of contributing toward it then things would be different.

For now the need is definitely established.

And what's your national flag?

And what's your national flag?

I'm guessing it's all white.

• Like 6

I'm guessing it's all white.

:yes:

I think there should be an outcry against this, and people should petition the Housing Association to get rid of Ms Hardy!! The Labour Party totally distance themselves from Ms Hardy, but it would appear that Ms Hardy can do whatever she wants without fear of Censure!!

In her letter Ms Hardy said the flag design fell foul of rules tackling unruly tenants who caused 'a nuisance, annoyance, disturbance or harassment' of others.

Ms Hardy also said his conduct breached tenancy conditions concerning those tenants who were 'injurious to the interests of neighbours' and those who 'cause distress, alarm or interfere with the peace and comfort of any other person'.

It doesn't even appear that his neighbours had any problems with this... just some extremist Contractor. Even her citation of rules appears to be have entirely based on her own, bizarre, views.

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 2

Apologies to anyone who might be offended, but I felt moved to email the Preston office where this woman works. This is the email that I sent...

"Sack Ms Hardy!! She is an Uber Political Correctness Officer that should not be in any position of Authority. She vilifies ex- forces tenants with her own Personal Agenda. She is a hateful Quizzling."

Should anyone else feel sufficiently moved to send an email to the Housing Society then this is the Link: http://www.placesforpeople.co.uk/contact_us/local_offices/preston.aspx

Some of us are glad this symbol of hate will be removed. Good marks to whoever reported it and hopefully it will inform others to do the same whenever symbols of intolerance are encountered, however well disguised or claims of innocence proclaimed.

let's not forget that the swastika used to be a symbol of peace, but you don't seem to find many people 'reclaiming' it and flying it outside their houses, do you....?

• Like 1

I think there should be an outcry against this, and people should petition the Housing Association to get rid of Ms Hardy!! The Labour Party totally distance themselves from Ms Hardy, but it would appear that Ms Hardy can do whatever she wants without fear of Censure!!

In her letter Ms Hardy said the flag design fell foul of rules tackling unruly tenants who caused 'a nuisance, annoyance, disturbance or harassment' of others.

Ms Hardy also said his conduct breached tenancy conditions concerning those tenants who were 'injurious to the interests of neighbours' and those who 'cause distress, alarm or interfere with the peace and comfort of any other person'.

It doesn't even appear that his neighbours had any problems with this... just some extremist Contractor. Even her citation of rules appears to be have entirely based on her own, bizarre, views.

This is very similar to the case in Swindon (i think) recently where somebody was instructed to remove a similar flag lest it offend the local muslim popluation.

It transpired that the muslim population numbered 17 and when asked none of them had a problem with it & none had complained. As with all these sorts of disputes it usually starts when some petty official with a little bit of power takes it upon themselves to be offended for some imagined others.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 2

I know how he feels. I have the 'privilege' of owning a 'Listed' Building, and I can't as much as change the front door knob without consulting the Parish Council!

I just knew there'd be one! In that case, in view of all those "Behead those who insult Islam" And "Kill the Kafir" demonstrations, please get all the crescents removed from the tops of mosques in the UK! (Or is it only the English who aren't allowed to be proud of their heritage?)

None of those near where I live. I expect that if they start appearing they will soon learn to gather quietly and respectfully. southerners tend to target practice on things that upset them. No bloodshed mind, just a few strategically placed holes in a facade :w00t:

This is very similar to the case in Swindon (i think) recently where somebody was instructed to remove a similar flag lest it offend the local muslim popluation.

It transpired that the muslim population numbered 17 and when asked none of them had a problem with it & none had complained. As with all these sorts of disputes it usually starts when some petty official with a little bit of power takes it upon themselves to be offended for some imagined others.

What can you say?? Ms Hardy seems to be fanning the flames of Religious Hatred (wrongly) because she does not understand religious sensitivities. I have NEVER had problems with Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu neighbours when celebrating St Georges Day (every year in Spain). In fact, I always invite them and they really enjoy learning about the different traditions. What this tells me is that the Lib - Dems, are so removed from reality that they should never be trusted with Political Power.

• Like 2