Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Important things in life?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Alex carnavas

Alex carnavas

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 248 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:29 PM

First i would like to give thanks to the source that inspired this article and encourage you to read the
original.

To me the most important and "valuable" things in life have to be: (i know selfish but what have we if not
ourselves?)

1. The pursuit and attainment oh happines.
2. Unconditional love from those/ to those who we really care about/ who really care about us.
3. Knowledge.
4. Truth.
5. Giving back to nature in life/death

Also why can we not be selfish in the pursuit of our joys in life as long as we harm no one/nothing ? Is
our purppose in life not to enjoy it and give back to nature ?

Posted Image

#2    Fitter

Fitter

Alien Embryo

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:26 AM

View PostAlex carnavas, on 11 October 2009 - 08:29 PM, said:

First i would like to give thanks to the source that inspired this article and encourage you to read the
original.

To me the most important and "valuable" things in life have to be: (i know selfish but what have we if not
ourselves?)

1. The pursuit and attainment oh happines.
2. Unconditional love from those/ to those who we really care about/ who really care about us.
3. Knowledge.
4. Truth.
5. Giving back to nature in life/death

Also why can we not be selfish in the pursuit of our joys in life as long as we harm no one/nothing ? Is
our purppose in life not to enjoy it and give back to nature ?

I happen to agree with you. Whilst it is frequently a misunderstood thing when people say they are intrinsically selfish, it's purely a matter of semantics. Even those among us who are true altruists can be said to be getting what they want out of life, in their case giving freely; so they are being selfish by allowing themselves to do what they want. That's not to say that theirs is a lesser way of living a life than any other... particularly by those who live their lives in the generally accepted definition of selfishness !!

My personal idea of the most important and valuable things in life are : Health, happiness and long life.

Anything else is down to perspective.

Btw, there's another thread on a similar topic to this, "What adds real value to life" Thought you might like to know..

F

Edited by Fitter, 12 October 2009 - 09:33 AM.

#3    Tim G

Tim G

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:23 PM

I think this can only be measured by each individual. There is no TRUE answer to this question in my opinion. Some people might say driving their car is while others say eating. Good thought though.
-Tim G

#4    Alex carnavas

Alex carnavas

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 248 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:30 AM

To fitter: i agree with what you said also we are all "selfish" to some degree but life is a pleasant adventure not a mundane redundant get-walked-all-over hell ride  :lol:

To Tim g: Of course only the individual can decide what values he enjoys most in life but i think most of us can agree with at least one of these things ? But of course like anything else humans will always disagree presenting their own opinions, and facts so keep them coming guys!  :tu:

Posted Image

#5    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,199 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:17 AM

I would say.
Life
Sapience
Knowledge
Free will

Because

Life gives birth to sapience.
Sapience allows for the development of knowledge.
Knowledge enables the exercise of informed free will.
Informed free will is what defines us as human beings.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#6    s.h.u.k.a.k.u

s.h.u.k.a.k.u

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:35 AM

so stay cool and be happy  :tu:

Posted Image

-I love Deidara-

~Official Naruto Nerd~