Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

What music do you listen to?

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#46    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Old style progrock and metal from 70s like Black Sabbath, Yes, Led Zeppelin, Floyd. These groups showed us the way and I still think nobody does metal like Sabbath, they are the true masters. Otherwise, Russian and Skandinavian metal of all types, indie music, punk, music that has lyrics that have something to say, not just meaningless foamheaded phrases that fit the tune. Music that is dark, modern or classical, for instance, Orthodox and Latin plainchant that is deep in the music and the soul. And though not dark, this -

Edited by Atentutankh-pasheri, 22 February 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#47    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

I listen to all sorts from many different genres.

#48    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,503 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

Haveing read everyone's responses I'd like to refine the op. what are your top 3 or 4 songs ?

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#49    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,902 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 22 February 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

Haveing read everyone's responses I'd like to refine the op. what are your top 3 or 4 songs ?

Thanks for the headache .....

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#50    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,519 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 22 February 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

Cold November Rain, Stairway to Heaven, Skateaway, and anything at all by Regina Spektor or Grace Potter. :tu:

#51    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,902 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 22 February 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

Cold November Rain, Stairway to Heaven, Skateaway, and anything at all by Regina Spektor or Grace Potter. :tu:

that's cheating ! definitely more than 3 or 4 in that list ... go'on give it another go ... Do it again !...

When when we were young there there were certain teachers who would hurt the children in any they can .....

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#52    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

• I'm baaaaaack

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

as much music ( over 200 CDs) as i have here i could not pick 3 or 4 songs as my most favorite songs. it depends day by day and mood by mood.  the same could be said about favorite artists

#53    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,503 posts

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

2 of those are some of my favorites also.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#54    Everdred

Everdred

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:38 PM

Since I never responded to the original query: I like beautiful music--that is, anything in which I can find a pleasing melody.  This includes metal, folk, post-industrial, early, classical, romantic, rock, trance, chiptunes, and even pop.

View PostAbramelin, on 21 February 2013 - 09:46 PM, said:

I didn't expect anything else from you , lol.

I know what other site you post on.

But I can tell you: I don't like most if not all rap either.

It's poetry, ok, but not music.

Heh, I wondered if you would notice that after I saw you posting links there.

I may be biased, but there is data to back up that idea:

http://www.noiseaddi...mb-intelligent/

Even ignoring the dimwitted lyrics of most rap, I think there's just a basic theme that less intelligent people prefer music that is rhythmic and without melody, whereas more intelligent people prefer music with melody.

#55    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,503 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

View PostEverdred, on 22 February 2013 - 09:38 PM, said:

Since I never responded to the original query: I like beautiful music--that is, anything in which I can find a pleasing melody.  This includes metal, folk, post-industrial, early, classical, romantic, rock, trance, chiptunes, and even pop.

Heh, I wondered if you would notice that after I saw you posting links there.

I may be biased, but there is data to back up that idea:

http://www.noiseaddi...mb-intelligent/

Even ignoring the dimwitted lyrics of most rap, I think there's just a basic theme that less intelligent people prefer music that is rhythmic and without melody, whereas more intelligent people prefer music with melody.
Be careful with studies like that. Musical Preferences ( if you can call rap music) can be culturally influenced as well. You might be poor kid raised in a not so good environment that would struggle on sats but but also be very naturally intelligent and like rap. I suspect this happens very often.

Edited by Seeker79, 22 February 2013 - 09:54 PM.

Bruce Lee-

#56    Everdred

Everdred

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 22 February 2013 - 09:53 PM, said:

Be careful with studies like that. Musical Preferences ( if you can call rap music) can be culturally influenced as well. You might be poor kid raised in a not so good environment that would struggle on sats but but also be very naturally intelligent and like rap. I suspect this happens very often.

Intelligent kids in crappy environments still do well academically and thus would get good scores on the SATs.  And they'll probably be exposed mostly to rap, but will seek out other forms of music unlike their less intelligent peers.

#57    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 1,563 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

Thats funny 2 of those are in my top 20 songs ever :tu:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#58    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Common Sense Aficionado

• 1,563 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

View Postthird_eye, on 22 February 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

Thanks for the headache .....

Agreed third! :lol:  This is going to take me a minute to really think about.I usually make the cutoff at top 20.To many good ones to leave off haha

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#59    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,021 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

I like all sorts of stuff. Classical, folk, rock, metal, pop, hip-hop, some rap, R&B, jazz, alternative, disco, big band, all sorts of anything danceable, classic electronica, opera.. Musicals, marching band, A Capella, choir, reggae, ska.. er I guess what you would call light or adult contemporary? Bluegrass, country and western, gospel, tribal, street performing... Probably a whole bunch of other genres I'm not thinking of right now.
I like a whole bunch of music from other places that I have no idea what the genre is called. Like bellydancing music, gypsy music, the beautiful simple instrumental pieces out of the east, robust bar songs from all over, rhythmic chants that have subtle background accompaniments...
And the music of nature. At some times of year, I won't play music for days or weeks because the music of nature is just... better.

Why? Good music can be found everywhere. Just like good food, or people, or experiences. I like sounds that go well together, regardless of format. Music gives a great many shards of views into the windows of many souls, including my own.

I don't like plenty of music too all across the spectrum. But I'm keeping this positive :tu:

#60    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,503 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

View PostEverdred, on 22 February 2013 - 10:03 PM, said:

Intelligent kids in crappy environments still do well academically and thus would get good scores on the SATs.  And they'll probably be exposed mostly to rap, but will seek out other forms of music unlike their less intelligent peers.
In afraid not... Sure some of them rise out if their environments but they are the exceptions. Sats are a reflection of knowledge not intelligence. There are plenty of smart kids that learn how to get out of school and don't give a rats ass about education when their buddies are running around the streets. There are to many socioeconomic factors to base intelligence off of Sats. A not so bright  kid that is a hard worker can do well on the SAts while the genius kid is a genius at skipping school and barely makes it out of high school. Some of the smartest kids are actually in bands, skip school, and are difficult to contain. Why do Asians and indians do so well on Sats? It's because they are second generation kids that have operating values in their homes about work ethic. Not because they are inherintly smarter. There are plenty of intelligent people listening to rap music. I can't stand it myself, but rap songs are highly complicated and quit witty actually.  Poor kids just don't get as much of an opertunity to learn music. Spending hours poring over notes when your drunk dad might show up and kick the snot out of you doesn't seem like a good use of time to a smart inner city kid. And it probably isn't. Learning instruments makes you appreciate music more. If you study a violin, you will appreciate it more, piano, chelo, whatever. I play the guitar and ukellele I can hear and appreciate what the instrument and musician are doing. If you have never had the ooertunity to learn in most cases people will stick with what they know intelligent of not.

Bruce Lee-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users