Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

3D printed moon building designs revealed

ExpandMyMind

Architects Fosters and Partners have revealed designs for a building on the Moon that could be constructed from material already on its surface.

An inflatable structure would be transported from Earth, then covered with a shell built by 3D printers.

The printers, operated by robots, would use soil from the Moon, known as regolith, to build the layered cover.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21293258

Now there's an idea. Will save on packing space

It makes a lot of sense from that standpoint.

If you have the base materials for a cheeseburger the answer would be yes.

• Like 2

If you have the base materials for a cheeseburger the answer would be yes.

One has to start out with horsemeat. :w00t:

• Like 1

yeah we can and its more than possible but the question is will they show everything on the moon and hide nothing meaning if they find something interesting like bases or etc will they show that as well or cover it up/hide it?

This reminds me of a book by Walter Jon Williams called Arastoi, in which much building of everything from homes to spaceships was done by nano-bots. Can you imagine where technology will be in 300 years? People will seem to have the power of gods by then I'll bet.

• Like 1

Trying to remember the EE Doc Smith series where technology existed to manipulate and build matter into spaceships etc - must have been Skylark - a precursor to replicator technology of later sci-fi.

I'm still excited for when the globally use this for transplanting organs. Absolutely brilliant, oh you need a new kidney 2 weeks and we will grow you a new one thats made for exactly you.

I suffered from plurecy (was found 2 days before phuenomia would have started according the hospital doctor)(caused by a ****ty 24/7 doctor giving me the wrong prognosis) which will never fully leave my lungs, so you can probally imagine why I'm excited about any advancements on this technology in any of the fields it can be applied to. :) :) :) :)

The documentary I seen on it, was about newer technologies with the main guy behind it all saying that hospitals should have it fully operating and functional in america in 2013 with the rest of the world by 2015. Does anyone know anything about these dates on that topic?

Sorry I only took it half off topic :P... still 3d printing just on earth first hahaha

Have you ever seen one of those 3D printers at work? They are fascinating.

Yeah. I think they'll be the future of manufacturing. After buying a licence fee, you'll be able to download the plans for, say, a computer, and from there you can build your own. They will of course have to develop some sort of closed system with the printers to prevent 'pirating', but it looks to be the future if demand for the printers is large enough to bring the price down.

Yeah. I think they'll be the future of manufacturing. After buying a licence fee, you'll be able to download the plans for, say, a computer, and from there you can build your own. They will of course have to develop some sort of closed system with the printers to prevent 'pirating', but it looks to be the future if demand for the printers is large enough to bring the price down.

I want to design my own plans.

The small ones are about $2000. I went to the local maker faire and wanted so much to buy one.

Edited by regeneratia