Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

Stonehenge


  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16    Will Carothers

Will Carothers

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined:30 May 2012

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:23 PM

I only wish I could have been, but no. I found some of the footage on line, and i edited it to fit. I do hope to visit it one day though!


#17    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,654 posts
  • Joined:23 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Australia

  • I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious. ~ Einstein

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:13 AM

View PostWill Carothers, on 25 June 2012 - 08:23 PM, said:

I only wish I could have been, but no. I found some of the footage on line, and i edited it to fit. I do hope to visit it one day though!
Great work on the film editing then. Me too!

In an mmm bop it's gone...

#18    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

    Undecided, mostly.

  • Member
  • 4,903 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Likely, Canada

  • I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:18 AM

A visit to Stonehenge is actually a tad depressing. You can't get within 150 feet of the stones, except on the solstice.

You walk around the site (in a circle of course, with a few hundred other people) on these green rubber mats listening to an automated tour guide (like a cell phone) and you punch in the number of the site that you're at; "If you happen to be at this position on a spring equinox, blah, blah, blah..."

By the way Will, great video! Keep up the good work.


#19    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,654 posts
  • Joined:23 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Australia

  • I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious. ~ Einstein

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:37 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 26 June 2012 - 01:18 AM, said:

A visit to Stonehenge is actually a tad depressing. You can't get within 150 feet of the stones, except on the solstice.

You walk around the site (in a circle of course, with a few hundred other people) on these green rubber mats listening to an automated tour guide (like a cell phone) and you punch in the number of the site that you're at; "If you happen to be at this position on a spring equinox, blah, blah, blah..."

By the way Will, great video! Keep up the good work.
lol fair enough, my Mum and Dad visited it years ago when you could walk right up to it but I can imagine the sterile tourist conditions today!

In an mmm bop it's gone...

#20    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,627 posts
  • Joined:18 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tennessee, USA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:04 AM

View PostThe Puzzler, on 26 June 2012 - 01:37 AM, said:

lol fair enough, my Mum and Dad visited it years ago when you could walk right up to it but I can imagine the sterile tourist conditions today!

I don't remember it being such a sterile event, such as Likely Guy mentioned, when I was there in 1983. But yes, it was a bit disappointing since I was expecting something grander in scale. But in any case at least I can say I've seen it in person.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#21    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

    Undecided, mostly.

  • Member
  • 4,903 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Likely, Canada

  • I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:43 AM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 26 June 2012 - 03:04 AM, said:

I don't remember it being such a sterile event, such as Likely Guy mentioned, when I was there in 1983. But yes, it was a bit disappointing since I was expecting something grander in scale. But in any case at least I can say I've seen it in person.

cormac
Hey there cormac. I was there 12, 14(?) years ago. I wasn't trying to describe it as sterile per se, just disappointing. When you travel over 4,700 miles to get there and you can't get within the last few feet, it's a bit of a downer.This is, of course, to protect the stones from either wanton vandalism and also harm from the more innocent kind, i.e. the wear and tear of millions of hands over thousands of years. Stones are not truely as tough as we believe.I did come away with a free souvenir though. It's a small piece of whitish flint, originally from a small boulder, that the builders used to pound the sarcen stones into their final shape.I know, my bad. (But it was way out in the middle of the field and they pop out of the ground like worms on a rainy day.)I also didn't know how close the highways were to the site. That was a bit distracting.


#22    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,627 posts
  • Joined:18 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tennessee, USA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:56 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 26 June 2012 - 03:43 AM, said:

Hey there cormac. I was there 12, 14(?) years ago. I wasn't trying to describe it as sterile per se, just disappointing. When you travel over 4,700 miles to get there and you can't get within the last few feet, it's a bit of a downer.This is, of course, to protect the stones from either wanton vandalism and also harm from the more innocent kind, i.e. the wear and tear of millions of hands over thousands of years. Stones are not truely as tough as we believe.I did come away with a free souvenir though. It's a small piece of whitish flint, originally from a small boulder, that the builders used to pound the sarcen stones into their final shape.I know, my bad. (But it was way out in the middle of the field and they pop out of the ground like worms on a rainy day.)I also didn't know how close the highways were to the site. That was a bit distracting.

Think nothing of it, I knew what you meant. Whether having a tour guide or an electonic means of information it just can't quite do justice to whatever you're seeing. As to the highway, yeah I think it's too close to the site as well. Rather detracts from the overall feel of the place IMO.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#23    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 10,654 posts
  • Joined:23 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Australia

  • I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious. ~ Einstein

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 26 June 2012 - 03:04 AM, said:

I don't remember it being such a sterile event, such as Likely Guy mentioned, when I was there in 1983. But yes, it was a bit disappointing since I was expecting something grander in scale. But in any case at least I can say I've seen it in person.

cormac
Cool, they travelled 80's and early 90's, and they did get a piece of stone from the Parthenon, now if my Mum just knew where it was....I didn't give much of a toss about the Parthenon back then, now I'd love to have it.

In an mmm bop it's gone...

#24    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

    Undecided, mostly.

  • Member
  • 4,903 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Likely, Canada

  • I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 30 June 2012 - 06:30 AM

View PostThe Puzzler, on 26 June 2012 - 02:10 PM, said:

Cool, they travelled 80's and early 90's, and they did get a piece of stone from the Parthenon, now if my Mum just knew where it was....I didn't give much of a toss about the Parthenon back then, now I'd love to have it.
Thus, the relevance of history. In the early 90's a friend of mine gave me a golf ball sized chunk of the Berlin Wall. Flat on one side with yellow and red spray paint.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users