Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost In my house?

Matt J

Today i discovered Google street view and decided to do what i assume many people do when they discover it, Look to see if they themselves appear outside their house at the time. Anyway, as i looked up my house i discovered something rather strange, there appears to be a face looking out towards the Google van from an upstairs window. I have shown this image to a number of people and i am aware that a number of explanations may be the cause of such an appearance I.e i have questioned whether it could be a reflection from the house a few doors down (have possibly ruled this out due to the houses in front of it, as well as the distinct shape of the "apparition").

Other explanations include possible camera flare, a mix up of images uploaded by Google and a the simple explanation that it is a normal object that our minds are making appear as an object. (This lead to me to search the inside of the room to find nothing of even that colour.)

I know the first thing that some may conclude the image to be is that it is a person in the house. This i have easily dismissed as the people entering the house at the time is my younger sister coming home from school with my mother. Until they come home there is nobody else in the house, my father works and myself and my younger brother are at high school / sixth form at this time. (about 3:20pm)

I personally am an open minded-skeptic and so i am hoping to get some explanation from both sides of the argument.

http://tinypic.com/v...pic=16a9ts7&s=6 (more distant view) http://tinypic.com/v...?pic=1e6ltz&s=6 (closer one)

My Mum is under the belief that this is the face of my uncle looking over her as it seems to show a similar facial structure to that of her deceased brother whom passed away but a year ago. Any ideas of what it could be would be appreciated, thanks Matt.

Edited by Saru
Removed address
  • Like 1

My Mum is under the belief that this is the face of my uncle looking over her as it seems to show a similar facial structure to that of her deceased brother whom passed away but a year ago. Any ideas of what it could be would be appreciated, thanks Matt.

Found it! wow nice find :)

Haha, thanks. Looking into getting a tinypic up and running to make it easier to find :)

Its given me a idea to do the same with the house where I saw a Shadow man thanks. hey it was a smart thing to do actually cause you never know what you will find ;)

Haha, thanks. Looking into getting a tinypic up and running to make it easier to find :)

So I have just done the same as you the house I lived in many years ago and saw a shadow man and found something strange its not as cool as your find but when u have time check it out :) the address *snip* its the green house and the image is in the window on the right hand side above the downstairs window with the bars

Now it might be nothing but if you zoom in it does look kind of strange.

Edited by Saru
Removed address

ic an see what you're referring to in the linked pics (i suggest you ask to have your home address removed from the thread though. that's not really a good idea)

yep kind of looks like someone standing there with a white shirt and dark jacket or sweater. it also looks like it could be a reflection or trick of light too.

Aargh I'm meant to be cooking dinner but I've been sucked in here!... I found the google picture and I must agree with JGirl that you get rid of your address from this forum. Not safe to splash it here. The internet is scarier than any ghosts so please be careful! Also you give a bit TMI about your families comings and goings. So now I'm here in Australia worrying for you :unsure2:

In regards to the 'ghost', I have zoomed in as much as possible on Google maps and when you do that the 'face' is no longer there at all and it's just a blurry arrangement of random shapes, with possibly something (sort of) face shaped in a reddy orange colour in the background of the room. Or it's a reflection of something.

I admit the smaller pictures you put up do look sort of human-like and look creepy but zoom right in and see if you still see a face.

Edited by Sunny Day

ic an see what you're referring to in the linked pics (i suggest you ask to have your home address removed from the thread though. that's not really a good idea)

yep kind of looks like someone standing there with a white shirt and dark jacket or sweater. it also looks like it could be a reflection or trick of light too.

Yea, only decided to give it out becuase it can be found on google anyway and i feel it would add some more credibility to the thread. That said i am working to remove/edit the thread to include just the links, better to be safe than sorry :)

I've edited the address from your post - definitely better to take a screenshot and post that instead. :)

well there is no doubt that someone is at the window, but how can you be sure it is not a member of your family? does it state on the the google map the exact time the picture was taken?

I looked at google maps once and there was my old house, but it was taken 5 years prior to when I lived there, so the car I saw outside was not mine, hence stopping me running outside thinking someone was in my driveway there and then.

well there is no doubt that someone is at the window, but how can you be sure it is not a member of your family? does it state on the the google map the exact time the picture was taken?

I looked at google maps once and there was my old house, but it was taken 5 years prior to when I lived there, so the car I saw outside was not mine, hence stopping me running outside thinking someone was in my driveway there and then.

I went inside the room last night to have a look and to my suprise the person would have to have been atleast 8-9 foot tall to be standing in that position. Im nearly 6 foot and i barely reached the half way point in the full height of the window. (the window is relatively high up in the room)

Hmmm spooky looking! On first look I would say it is some kind of reflection, especially since the Google van would have been at street level not high up. But on the close up it certainly looks like a face!

I don't see anything that looks like a human or a face.

The pictures that Google Maps uses are taken with extremely wide angle lenses and are full of distortion and flare, not to mention that windows cause their own distorted reflections.

I don't see anything that looks like a human or a face.

The pictures that Google Maps uses are taken with extremely wide angle lenses and are full of distortion and flare, not to mention that windows cause their own distorted reflections.

I agree that is most likely something like you have mentioned above. That said though i decided to get into the position in which the picture was taken by walking and looking up at numerous positions in the road. What i found was that what some people were describing as a white jacket was infact a reflection from a nearby house. The "face" however i was struggling to find. This may rule out the reflection possiblity. Camera flare etc is still a very valid explanation :)

I went inside the room last night to have a look and to my suprise the person would have to have been atleast 8-9 foot tall to be standing in that position. Im nearly 6 foot and i barely reached the half way point in the full height of the window. (the window is relatively high up in the room)

I can not say as from what I see the person in the window does not look tall, they only come halfway up the window, but if you say the window is high, well, sorry, but that seems like quite a strange height for that shape window. It looks like a sash window, so rather high for easy opening from the mid section.