Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

More rights for homeowners against intruders

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#16    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,299 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:17 AM

There's other weapons besides guns.   I have large knives, a hammer, metal baseball bat, and a small hatchet. And a little something extra. :devil:

I'm not going down without a fight!

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#17    Kub4n

Kub4n

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

• Broke and Famous

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:28 AM

Wish everyone had concealed carry .. Here in the US you shoot first ask questions later .. Just don't shoot em in the back .. You'll be up under the jail

#18    Wyrdlight

Wyrdlight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:04 AM

View PostBling, on 10 October 2012 - 08:37 PM, said:

In the UK we don't have guns, so how are we supposed to confront the invaders? I reckon we'd come off worse as they would probably 'come equipped'.

I live in the UK, pretty much everyone I know keeps a length of wood, metal bar, blade or somesuch weapon concealed near their bed/within reach in case of an intruder.  If I woke up in the night and heard noises downstairs, Ill grab a weapon, and head downstairs.

Most burglars dont come armed, they are oppurtunists, if somone broke into my home and i feared for my and my familes life, Id have no qualms about defending myself.

#19    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:17 AM

View PostHasina, on 10 October 2012 - 08:40 PM, said:

That's always seemed to be the problem with countries that don't allow law abiding citizens to purchase guns. If the criminals have 'access' to them, why not the general public? Heck, even the police don't have firearms. I understand that many people assume that gun violence would go up if they were legal and they may be right, but I'd rather even the odds then be caught in my underroos with just a baseball bat.

View PostWyrdlight, on 11 October 2012 - 07:04 AM, said:

Most burglars dont come armed,

Do most burglars come armed in the US, Hasina?

#20    tyrant lizard

tyrant lizard

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:56 AM

View PostBling, on 10 October 2012 - 11:49 AM, said:

This is not a good idea....when you're being robbed and are in that emotionally charged situation people can go overboard, not be in control of their actions. Robbery is wrong but no one deserves to get seriously injured or killed.
Being able to defend yourself legally is not a good idea? So you think perhaps you should be legally oblidged not to defend yourself?

The fact is that person shouldn't be in your home, and if they wasn't they would be at risk of getting hurt. They are the ones breaking the law. And what if the intruder isn't a burglar? What if they they're a rapist? You need the right to be able to defend yourself, other people, and your home.

I think in general most people would do what they would do regardless of the law, and in that respect I don't think much has changed. But on the downside it might mean burglars could come prepared to "defend" tthemselves against their victims. This is when we have fully fledged Game of Thrones style sword fights in the middle of suburbia.

I'm an advocate of attacking anyone who comes into your house, but I would not suggest you stand between a burglar and his escape route. Cornered animals become dangerous. Your main aim should be to get that person out, not keep them in.

#21    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

There has been an awakening

• 5,260 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

View Posttyrant lizard, on 11 October 2012 - 07:56 AM, said:

But on the downside it might mean burglars could come prepared to "defend" tthemselves against their victims. This is when we have fully fledged Game of Thrones style sword fights in the middle of suburbia.

Now that is the way forward, there is honour in a death by the sword...  ;)

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#22    tyrant lizard

tyrant lizard

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

True... but the wiley man drops burning pitch out the window before the intruder sets foot in the castle. I mean house.

#23    Catz

Catz

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:27 AM

View PostKub4n, on 11 October 2012 - 01:28 AM, said:

Wish everyone had concealed carry .. Here in the US you shoot first ask questions later .. Just don't shoot em in the back .. You'll be up under the jail
Same here, as long as it can be seen as self defense-in other words not shooting in the back.  Although, if I see that the intruder has just murdered someone I loved, and then runs away, there is no way that I will not shoot-whether in the back or not!

:tsu:

#24    Catz

Catz

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

View PostWyrdlight, on 11 October 2012 - 07:04 AM, said:

I live in the UK, pretty much everyone I know keeps a length of wood, metal bar, blade or somesuch weapon concealed near their bed/within reach in case of an intruder.  If I woke up in the night and heard noises downstairs, Ill grab a weapon, and head downstairs.

Most burglars dont come armed, they are oppurtunists, if somone broke into my home and i feared for my and my familes life, Id have no qualms about defending myself.

I don't own a gun-it is legal here but you need a gun license and it is not too easy to obtain one.  But, we live in what is called a security complex.  We have 24 hour security guards, alarm system with armed response, electrical fence and burglar bars.  If after all this, the intruder still gets in, I suppose, my axe under the bed and the panic button better be enough!

#25    GhostHunterChickx

GhostHunterChickx

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:47 AM

View PostCatz, on 10 October 2012 - 01:11 PM, said:

The question remains: What is that person doing in you house?  Obviously, it can only be with bad intentions.  Your home is normally the only place where you can be safe and hide away from the world.  Where I live, if someone is in your house you shoot first en then ask questions.  Its' either shoot or be shot.  I do not see a reason that a homeowner cannot take force to protect what is his.  I am definitely not in favor of violence and killing but when it is to project yourself and your family, then my opinion is to do whatever it takes to keep yourself safe.

I wouldn't think twice about protecting my family with whatever force it took to stop an intruder, too many people have been killed by burglars....I wouldn't care if it was legal or not!!! I wouldn't let anyone hurt my family in my own home.
That's why I keep 2 dogs at home ;-)

#26    Catz

Catz

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

View PostGhostHunterChickx, on 11 October 2012 - 09:47 AM, said:

I wouldn't think twice about protecting my family with whatever force it took to stop an intruder, too many people have been killed by burglars....I wouldn't care if it was legal or not!!! I wouldn't let anyone hurt my family in my own home.
That's why I keep 2 dogs at home ;-)
I use to have a big Boerboel (google if you don't know the breed), which is an excellent guard dog.  This dog literally saved me and my daughters lives!  The burglars had the sliding door already open and was trying to open the security gate.  She heard them and stormed to the gate.  Believe me, when this dog reacted, it must have looked like a lion.  Luckily, they ran away.  I don't think they expected this!

#27    GhostHunterChickx

GhostHunterChickx

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:05 AM

Aw my 2 dogs are just medium sized, but they make lots of noise....which will give me chance to arm myself with something heavy or sharp!!! I certainly ain't afraid of battering someone in my home x
My old dog would have given burglars a fright....he was a German Shepherd x Great Dane...very large with huge teeth!!!

#28    zebra99

zebra99

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

Any intruder in my house in the dark will be hit HARD,preferably from behind with whatever object I have to hand.Being a pensioner living alone I would make sure I hit with enough force so they didn't get back up.If that's excessive force...hard luck.

These rules of self defence made by politicians and enforced by judges are easy to pass in parliament or the courtroom surrounded by others in daylight.It's a different ball game when you wake in the dark and see a shadowy figure in your room.

Posted Image

#29    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,129 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

View PostBling, on 10 October 2012 - 08:47 PM, said:

I would own a gun if I was legally allowed to, but the thought of getting 'caught up in the moment' and using it to kill someone abhors me - and that's why I think we have to be very careful. Killing or seriously injuring someone will have lasting effect on us, the victim, and not a good one.

I'd rather run out of the house with my loved ones and let them take what they want. I've been in a home when I was a child while someone broke in, it was terrifying. I ran out of the house and got a neighbour to call the police. The guy who broke in was my alcoholic step father :rolleyes:

But what if it wasn't your belongings that they wanted? What would you do then, lay back & think of england?

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#30    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

while i agree that one has the right to protect home and property, not to mention family, i think there is a line that needs to be drawn as to what is acceptable aggression and what is 'overkill'.
you never need to kill someone who is stealing your china. or your tv. really.
you can get an alarm system, you can get a big dog, you can fortify the entries in your home. all of these things are excellent deterrants to break ins.
if you own a gun and you hear a noise in your house and you pull that gun out to go investigate you have already decided you are going to shoot someone. maybe it's not a conscious thought, but your finger is ready and you know it. it could be someone who is going to rape and kill your family but it's more likely the crack head kid down the street that saw your tv from the street one day.
most who will break into your home only want your stuff. will you kill for your stuff?
i would not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users