Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* - - - - 1 votes

To Our Isles Members


  • Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#31    No Censorship

No Censorship

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 2,784 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:57 AM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 28 March 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

Anywhere where there is high relative poverty in the Western World will you find lots of fat and unhealthy people.

Br, I actually cannot tell the difference between Scottish people and Irish, and most of the time I can't tell the difference between English and the other two. I haven't met enough Welsh people to comment on that though.

That seems to be the result of bad choices when it comes to diet. Surely, they're not forced to eat more fast food and junk food than they should. You can buy healthy food at low prices. I'm not sure that current conventional wisdom is correct when it comes to the causes of obesity.

From what I read, there isn't too much variation in appearances, which makes sense. British and Irish people cluster in close proximity to each other since they're both northwestern Europeans. You likely find darker-featured natives in the western fringes of the Isles, though. I'm not sure where the most attractive folks live.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#32    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 6,643 posts
  • Joined:23 Jan 2009

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:45 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 29 March 2013 - 07:57 AM, said:

That seems to be the result of bad choices when it comes to diet. Surely, they're not forced to eat more fast food and junk food than they should. You can buy healthy food at low prices. I'm not sure that current conventional wisdom is correct when it comes to the causes of obesity.

From what I read, there isn't too much variation in appearances, which makes sense. British and Irish people cluster in close proximity to each other since they're both northwestern Europeans. You likely find darker-featured natives in the western fringes of the Isles, though. I'm not sure where the most attractive folks live.

It has little to do with fast food. Cheap processed foods are the main culprit, and it's often not a matter of choice. Most people, and especially families, living in relative poverty cannot afford to buy healthy food, such as fresh, unprocessed meats and vegetables. This food is more often than not twice as expensive than the processed stuff full of additives, saturated fat, and especially sugar.

There are obviously other factors, exercise being one, but what we put into our bodies, in my opinion, would be the main factor.


#33    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 12,000 posts
  • Joined:13 Aug 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eire

  • Stupid Monkeys.

    Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

Climate has a strong influence on our food choices. Starchy fatty foods are the mainstay of Irish cooking and it represents comfort eating and energy food.
The lack of sunlight in Scotland and Ireland means that Vit. D deficiency is chronic which leads to a higher incidence of cancers, heart disease and other chronic health issues.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#34    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 6,643 posts
  • Joined:23 Jan 2009

Posted 29 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 29 March 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

Climate has a strong influence on our food choices. Starchy fatty foods are the mainstay of Irish cooking and it represents comfort eating and energy food.
The lack of sunlight in Scotland and Ireland means that Vit. D deficiency is chronic which leads to a higher incidence of cancers, heart disease and other chronic health issues.

Br Cornelius

I didn't think that the sun had to be out for us to absorb Vitamin D. I thought that merely being outside would be enough, as the sun penetrates clouds. Take Australia for example, where sunscreen is needed even on cloudy days.


#35    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 12,000 posts
  • Joined:13 Aug 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eire

  • Stupid Monkeys.

    Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:09 AM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 29 March 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:

I didn't think that the sun had to be out for us to absorb Vitamin D. I thought that merely being outside would be enough, as the sun penetrates clouds. Take Australia for example, where sunscreen is needed even on cloudy days.
Its a particular type of UV which doesn't penetrate through even humid air. Maybe when most people worked outside all day there was enough to get by on - but that is debatable. It is reckoned that North of Manchester there is never enough of the right sunlight.
A scientists studied health indices for a range of cities across the UK accounting for dietary choices and found that all things been equal all health measures declined with latitude. He concluded that Vit.D supplements should be added to foods in the UK due to this effect, and he is the reason why Vit.D is now been taken seriously as a national health issue.

Cancer and heart attack rates are the key indicators for Vit.D deficiency.

I personally take 5000ISU of Vit.D once a week.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#36    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 6,643 posts
  • Joined:23 Jan 2009

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 29 March 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

Its a particular type of UV which doesn't penetrate through even humid air. Maybe when most people worked outside all day there was enough to get by on - but that is debatable. It is reckoned that North of Manchester there is never enough of the right sunlight.
A scientists studied health indices for a range of cities across the UK accounting for dietary choices and found that all things been equal all health measures declined with latitude. He concluded that Vit.D supplements should be added to foods in the UK due to this effect, and he is the reason why Vit.D is now been taken seriously as a national health issue.

Cancer and heart attack rates are the key indicators for Vit.D deficiency.

I personally take 5000ISU of Vit.D once a week.

Br Cornelius

I must be honest, I've thought about supplementing with certain vitamins but didn't realise they had quite that effect. Vitamin D will be one I'll definitely have a look at. Thanks.

Edited by ExpandMyMind, 29 March 2013 - 11:30 AM.


#37    and then

and then

    Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

  • Member
  • 15,581 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Land's End

  • Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 27 March 2013 - 03:00 AM, said:

BTW, not to sound like I'm sixteen, but I have a question. What country and/or region contains the best looking people? That's a subjective thing, but I'm curious to hear various opinions. Feel free to ask questions about Americans too.
Well if the Corrs sisters are any indication, the Irish have some of the most beautiful women on the planet.

  We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#38    Essan

Essan

    Recruitment Agent for the 'B' Ark

  • Member
  • 2,352 posts
  • Joined:18 Mar 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The other side

  • Stop Climate Change: Plant a Rain Forest Today!

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

View PostDetective Mystery 2013, on 22 March 2013 - 04:00 AM, said:

Greetings to our members across the pond. Here's a question for you from someone who has roots in and ties to all five countries that comprise the British Isles. What are the real differences between English, Irish, Northern Irish, Scottish, and Welsh people? I'm referring to cultural, religious, genetic, physical, intranational, regional, socio-political characteristics, or, anything that comes to your mind that would be instructive to a mongrelized Yank like me. :yes:

Basically none.

We're all the descendants of people who migrated here from what is now the Basque region in northern Spain around 11,000 years ago - with a mix of central European celts, Scandinavians, Germans and others gradually adding to the gene pool over the subsequent millenia.

We all got conquered by the Normans nearly a thousand years ago - the ramifications of which still have us blaming one another to this day.  Because the one thing we've always been very, very good at is squabbling amongst ourselves,

We did used to get on together though:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...s/uk-21724084  

:)

Andy

Weather & Earth Science News
The independent climate blog

#39    No Censorship

No Censorship

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 2,784 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:25 AM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 29 March 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

It has little to do with fast food. Cheap processed foods are the main culprit, and it's often not a matter of choice. Most people, and especially families, living in relative poverty cannot afford to buy healthy food, such as fresh, unprocessed meats and vegetables. This food is more often than not twice as expensive than the processed stuff full of additives, saturated fat, and especially sugar.

There are obviously other factors, exercise being one, but what we put into our bodies, in my opinion, would be the main factor.

I agree with your last sentence. I disagree with the rest of your post. I know, from experience, that one can buy healthy and inexpensive food, much of which is cheaper than garbage. Poor people aren't destined to become obese.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#40    No Censorship

No Censorship

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 2,784 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:27 AM

View Postand then, on 29 March 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

Well if the Corrs sisters are any indication, the Irish have some of the most beautiful women on the planet.

I can't argue with that. Also, Grace Kelly was half Irish.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#41    No Censorship

No Censorship

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 2,784 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:36 AM

View PostEssan, on 29 March 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

Basically none.

We're all the descendants of people who migrated here from what is now the Basque region in northern Spain around 11,000 years ago - with a mix of central European celts, Scandinavians, Germans and others gradually adding to the gene pool over the subsequent millenia.

We all got conquered by the Normans nearly a thousand years ago - the ramifications of which still have us blaming one another to this day.  Because the one thing we've always been very, very good at is squabbling amongst ourselves,

We did used to get on together though:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...s/uk-21724084  

:)

That's a great explanation. I'll add one caveat to it. Some English and Scottish regions cluster closer to continental populations. They're descended from Germanic tribes.

That's a good point about the Normans. They were divided too. The English Normans fought the Irish and Scottish Normans. The latter groups married into Celtic clans.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#42    bLu3 de 3n3rgy

bLu3 de 3n3rgy

    sit vis vobiscum

  • Member
  • 11,987 posts
  • Joined:22 Apr 2006
  • Gender:Female

  • “Truth is an experience not a belief"

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:57 AM

One observation i have noticed when visiting various Scottish castles, is the original military/dress uniforms on display, gloves, armour, swords ect are all actually fairly petite. It would suggest that putting the effects of the modern diet aside, the scots were either very petite and light framed nimble bodied people, or very tall and heavy - ie to pick up a real claymore and be able to use it, one would need to be at least 6 foot and have a lot and i mean a lot of strength to utilise it.

The Astral Projection Techniques Thread Here
*Golden rule, anything you extract, fill with light -- the universe doesn't like voids to be left.
Posted Image

#43    No Censorship

No Censorship

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 2,784 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:50 AM

View PostbLu3 de 3n3rgy, on 30 March 2013 - 02:57 AM, said:

One observation i have noticed when visiting various Scottish castles, is the original military/dress uniforms on display, gloves, armour, swords ect are all actually fairly petite. It would suggest that putting the effects of the modern diet aside, the scots were either very petite and light framed nimble bodied people, or very tall and heavy - ie to pick up a real claymore and be able to use it, one would need to be at least 6 foot and have a lot and i mean a lot of strength to utilise it.

The consensus is that they weren't as small as we think. Heights fluctuated through the years. Men and women were taller before the known start of agriculture. They consumed more protein. Heights varied after the known start of agriculture too. Men and women were taller in certain regions. For instance, Germans often towered native Romans. There were distinct variations within countries too. It's likely that this applied to Scotland, where men and women might have been taller in the Highlands than in the Lowlands. That variation in height likely was caused by diets, and ethnicity might have played a much lesser role. The ways in which clothing, structures, armor, etc. were designed often made people seem shorter than they really were too. That might explain why the past Scottish people seem tiny to you. In general, average heights were 5'6" and 5'2" for most or much of recorded history in this area of the world. Of course, class distinctions skewed these statistics. Wealthy people often dwarfed impoverished people. Some female members of the British nobility hovered around 6' while many "peasant" women were well under 5'!

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#44    No Censorship

No Censorship

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 2,784 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2013
  • Gender:Male

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:54 AM

View PostEssan, on 29 March 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

We did used to get on together though:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...s/uk-21724084  

:)

What a drag! That site is no longer there.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#45    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 12,000 posts
  • Joined:13 Aug 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Eire

  • Stupid Monkeys.

    Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 30 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

On the east coast of Ireland you can see pockets of populations with strong Norman influences. They tend to be taller, fairer of hair and slimmer.
Outside of these places the same look tends to stand out.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users