Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Rocket explodes at Mojave- 2 dead, 4 injured

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,166 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:14 AM

In a day that has contained so much bad news for spaceflight in the USA things have got worse.

An explosion has occured at Mojave Airport. It is from here that SpaceShipOne was launched to become the first private manned spacecraft. It is the head quarters of the Scaled Composites which built SpaceShipOne and is currently building SpaceShipTwo for Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic company. Reports are saying that this company is involved in the explosion, possibly during a test of SpaceShipTwo's rocket engine.

Links to sources:

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 27 July 2007 - 02:18 AM.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    DДrk_Lotu§

DДrk_Lotu§

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

• Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:20 AM

Jesus what a shame hopefully things will take a turn for the better for spaceflight

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done

I'AM SMISSY!!!!

The following tale of alien encounters is true. And by true, I mean false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer is: No.

#3    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,342 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:46 AM

Jesus what a shame hopefully things will take a turn for the better for spaceflight

Oh so true!  This may set things back awhile for private space flight as I think it is the next logical move in man's search for the ultimate. The ultimate what you say? I don't know but it has always been a dream to go to space. Hell I'll volunteer as the first monkey on Mars.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#4    DДrk_Lotu§

DДrk_Lotu§

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

• Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:59 AM

I'm with ya it's my dream as well that in my lifetime i may be able to go up there anywhere, space, the moon, mars anywhere

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done

I'AM SMISSY!!!!

The following tale of alien encounters is true. And by true, I mean false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer is: No.

#5    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,166 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:15 AM

This may set things back awhile for private space flight

I suspect it will only be a blip for space tourism. When air travel started it was dangerous and very expensive. For many "rich young things" I suspect that the danger was part of the attraction. No doubt the same will be true in the early years of private spaceflight.

As this is just a test it will be largely forgotten by the time that SpaceShipTwo makes it's maiden flight. There will be other accidents though. At some stage a tourist flight will end in tragedy and we have to prepare for that.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#6    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,166 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:55 AM

Sadly, the Los Angeles Times and the Bakersfield Californian are reporting that a third person has lost their life as a result of this accident. 3 others remain seriously hurt.

Links to sources:

Posted Image
Click on button

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users