Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

UFO sightings warn of alien invasion

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#31    ilianGT

ilianGT

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:55 AM

This is a load of crap, aliens have been mining earth's resources before humans ever walked the earth. How old is Earth again? And aliens would only come now? My my, aren't we so lucky to witness that...

#32    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,526 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:05 PM

I would be scared,Very Scared.
If they want our Planet Were toast.

This is a Work in Progress!

#33    Annabis

Annabis

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:12 PM

Idk why everyone is talking like they're an expert on the matter. Not many know what is really out there so how can you say there IS a god and that aliens WOULD be friendly? Think about how intelligent stephen is - he obviously didn't just throw this book together without any research so don't be so quick to criticize.

#34    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 34,325 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:20 PM

What the heck is HULIQ?

This site reads like a blog more than a news site, the article is just a bunch of musings pulled from a site like this, misconceptions about Hawking's statement intact.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#35    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 18,526 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:26 PM

It is sad that some people think Stephen Hawkins is not one of our times brightest Minds.
And He is correct about making contact,It may not be a very Smart thing. :devil: :alien:

This is a Work in Progress!

#36    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 34,325 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:43 PM

View Postalienmojo, on 30 May 2011 - 12:29 AM, said:

I used to really respect this man, but the weird stuff coming out of his mouth recently has me doubting his sanity. Don't attempt to contact other civilizations out of fear????  How stupid is that?  Yes, there's a chance you could get beat up by another civilization, but think about it.  I would hope a civilization that is advanced enough to reach us would be advanced enough to not attack us.

Then you have him talking about God not existing.  Ahhhh Stevie... stick to what you know. Science.  Leave religion to those that obviously know more than yourself. I have no doubt that this man doesn't believe in God because he is stuck in that worthless body of his and blames God for it.  Either way, he just needs to shut up about it.

So sorry if I sound mean, but I'm really sick of hearing this nonsense coming out of such a brilliant man.

I am afraid it is merely your own misconceptions that you are disappointed in. Hawking's speculations have been taken way out of context by inept journalists, such as this one referenced by the OP. He does not say "Do not contact other civilisations out of fear" he says, what if Alien are not all friendly? Big difference. The medias incompetence has blown his words well out of proportion. His message is quite clear if you watch his latest effort.

And why is Hawking not allowed a philosophical position regarding religion? In a Brief History of Time, he says "If we discover a complete theory, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason – for then we should know the mind of God." He does not say God does not exist, his latest work just says that he feels God was not necessary to create the Universe. How do you know he is not alluding to an even bigger picture? If he can show why he thinks such, who are we to say "do not think, we are telling you what to think"? Is not diversity of knowledge and opinion something to celebrate? And whom are you saying to leave religion to? Religion has been under some fire in recent times, how about all the child abuse coming to light? Those are the people you say we should leave religion to? Is that really a better solution than trying to really work things out? Remember, quite somme time ago the same people said the Universe revolves around the earth, and not like it when this was proven wrong. Are you not just doing the same here?

His "worthless body" has travelled the world, and space, and witnessed wonders you and I can only dream of. You are indeed just being mean. Dawkins is much meaner with his religious stance, and he is entitled to it. Annoying that Bible Bashers just want you to believe and refuse to allow opinion or research contrary to that belief.

What is nonsense is the medias interpretations of his thoughts, and that so few seem to pick up on this. His brilliance alone ought to be a huge red flag to all those that are being mislead by the medias poor interpretations.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#37    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 34,325 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:52 PM

View PostSwamptick, on 29 May 2011 - 10:52 PM, said:

The funny thing, is that in the Scientific community, Hawking is considered somewhat of a chump.

??

That is why he spent 30 years as Lucasian Professor of Mathematics at the University of Cambridge? Now Emeritus Lucasian Professor of Mathematics. Invited to take the same positions as Newton? And works with Kip Thorne and John Preskill of Caltech? Not to mention the statue of Hawking by renowned late artist Ian Walters which was unveiled at the Centre for Theoretical Cosmology, University of Cambridge? Or the statue of Hawking was unveiled at the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences in Cape Town. Then we have the Stephen W. Hawking Science Museum in San Salvador, El Salvador is named in honour of Stephen Hawking, citing his scientific distinction and perseverance in dealing with adversity. And the Stephen Hawking Building in Cambridge opened on 17 April 2007.

Geez, if this is a chump, I wouldn't mind being regarded a chump. I have no idea how you would come to this conclusion. Hawking is an amazing person.

#38    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 34,325 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:56 PM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 30 May 2011 - 11:26 PM, said:

It is sad that some people think Stephen Hawkins is not one of our times brightest Minds.

Indeed friend, you have the nail square on the head there.

It is tremendously disappointing that so few read his words, and then deride him on the medias interpretation of his words. One would think after the way the media tore up Edgar Mitchell's claims and created their own version of Alien news, that we would have learned a thing or two.

Apparently not.

View PostDONTEATUS, on 30 May 2011 - 11:26 PM, said:

And He is correct about making contact,It may not be a very Smart thing. :devil: :alien:

Indeed, who is to say what wonders and terrors behold us in that vast expanse.

#39    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 7,206 posts

• I know someday
    you'll have a beautiful life
    I know you'll be a sun
    In somebody else's sky
    But why can't it be mine? -Pearl Jam

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:04 AM

View PostDevice, on 30 May 2011 - 05:49 AM, said:

It only stands to reason that, the further up the evolutionary ladder you go, the less 'barbaric' the lifeform becomes.

I would have to disagree with you here. Evolution and/or intellect have no bearing at all on what we would consider 'moral values'.

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#40    Luckless13

Luckless13

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 45 posts

• I went to sleep a poet and I woke up a fraud

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:23 AM

#41    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:59 AM

He said that long time ago. As I remember.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#42    Muenzenhamster

Muenzenhamster

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:10 AM

This was old news almost a year ago!

#43    Socio

Socio

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:14 AM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 31 May 2011 - 12:04 AM, said:

I would have to disagree with you here. Evolution and/or intellect have no bearing at all on what we would consider 'moral values'.

True, we humans are top of evolutionary ladder on Earth yet would not think twice about killing an insect, and we would be likely be mere insects to those advanced enough to come here.

#44    Damrod

Damrod

Seeker of Knowledge

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:58 PM

Yes, the article is old and somewhat twisted off the original I saw a few years ago.

Hawkings based that presumption on the ecological problems of invasive species into a "non-native" habitat and second on the theory that cro magnon killed off the neanderthal...

from that he extrapolated:

"If" an ET species could make it here, they are more technologically advanced than we are.

"If" they are hostile, there is probably not much we could do about it.

2 very big "if's"  

I don't think he ever "warned"...I think he questioned the wisdom of inviting them for dinner....

#45    Paxus

Paxus

Poltergeist

• 2,706 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:27 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 29 May 2011 - 11:29 PM, said:

I think that aliens coming here to take our Resources is BS. Resources are a lot easier to get in space. If they just needed chemicals and materials, the asteroids and planets with little atmosphere would be a lot easier to work with. Even oxygen, hydrogen and carbon are easier to get on moons and asteroids and comets then it is to get them off of Earth and into space.

The only reason they would need an Earth type planet is settlement... living space. Except... if they came all the way here (Be it in FTL ships, or hugh generation ships) they would have the technology to live in space for extended periods, so again they don't need Earth.
Absolutely right!
Always irks me when people say that aliens advanced enough to be able to get around the light speed problem would have some sinister reason for attacking us.
Plain and simply - they have no needs when they're that advanced!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users