Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Atheist US blogger hacked to death

questionmark

A prominent American blogger of Bangladeshi origin was hacked to death with machetes by unidentified assailants in Dhaka on Thursday, police said, with the atheist writer's family claiming he had received numerous threats from Islamists.

The body of Avijit Roy, founder of Mukto-Mona (Free-mind) blog site which champions liberal secular writing in the Muslim-majority nation, was found covered in blood after the attack which also left his wife critically wounded.

"He died as he was brought to the hospital. His wife was also seriously wounded. She has lost a finger," local police chief Sirajul Islam said.

Read more

• Like 1

I started to post this early this am...but got busy doing something else.

Bangladesh! When are the ...ahem....Leaders in the West going to wake up and realize that Jihad is actually happening, that it isn't isolated, that it is real, and that anyone, anywhere who speaks out against their brand of Islam is a legitimate target?

• Like 1

I thought the title meant hacked as in his computer was messed with.

• Like 5

Well, that cuts it. My vacation to Rawalpindi is definitely off the table.

• Like 2

Again...they can kill a person, but they can't kill an idea. And it doesn't make them appear very confident in their beliefs if they show the world that they need to kill anyone with an opposing view.

History has shown that they can't kill us all. That man is now a martyr, and they have proven that everything he wrote about them is correct.

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 5

One wonders if anyone under the influence of that religion actually cares, even the law commits the same atrocities in the name of religion.

LINK - Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty

Death for insulting an imaginary being. In this day and age. Amazing.

• Like 2

Those Islamists take life very, very seriously. Try imagining a mob of athiests hacking to death a Christian evangelist in the streets or something. You can't.

• Like 2

Those Islamists take life very, very seriously. Try imagining a mob of athiests hacking to death a Christian evangelist in the streets or something. You can't.

Why do people do crimes like this? Brutal ones?

Because they are sick. There are numerous examples of sick people doing all kinds of crazy stuff but when it's Muslim who murders others - it is because of Islam, not because of sickness.

Lately, when we get news article with ' murder ' in title, first question being asked is if he is Muslim, so that we can paint it as terrorist act or it is some other guy, so that we can say he was sick. Reporters main task lately is to check religion of those involved in crimes, article writing will be based on that.

You see, just recently beutiful young people got murdered in USA, whole community showed respect to victims... If thsoe were Chrsitians murdered by Muslim we would be talking about it even today, in one neverending thread of ' Jihad problem '.

One wonders if anyone under the influence of that religion actually cares, even the law commits the same atrocities in the name of religion.

LINK - Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face death penalty

Death for insulting an imaginary being. In this day and age. Amazing.

It's part of their culture, before everything else. You can't make general conclusion based on punishment in Saudi Arabia which is country ruled by King. King by himself is part of long gone history, except in few countries.

• Like 3

If you're a writer who decides to take on extremists, you need to protect yourself.

This man got threats and did not take them seriously, paying for it with his life. In the streets the pen is not mightier than the sword (Machete). Writers need to keep that fact in mind.

• Like 2

If you're a writer who decides to take on extremists, you need to protect yourself.

This man got threats and did not take them seriously, paying for it with his life. In the streets the pen is not mightier than the sword (Machete). Writers need to keep that fact in mind.

To paraphrase one of the victims of the French Magazine attack a couple of months ago. "I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees". Writers, artists, philosophers, scientists - just about anyone with a passion for insight and knowledge would likely say the same and take a stand against the death of intellect and creative pursuits.

• Like 2

To paraphrase one of the victims of the French Magazine attack a couple of months ago. "I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees". Writers, artists, philosophers, scientists - just about anyone with a passion for insight and knowledge would likely say the same and take a stand against the death of intellect and creative pursuits.

I'm sure they would. It doesn't change the fact that if they're going to, they need to take steps to ensure their own safety.

If you're targeting extremists, they'll target you. The difference is they'll sic the brutes on you who use machetes, not pens. This guy shrugged off some serious threats and paid for it with his life. I hope other professionals take heed and learn from this man's mistakes.

It's part of their culture, before everything else. You can't make general conclusion based on punishment in Saudi Arabia which is country ruled by King. King by himself is part of long gone history, except in few countries.

Nah, the head honcho is much bigger than the King, that barbaric system is based on the religion itself. here are two sources of Shariah: The Quran, which many Muslims consider to be the literal word of God; and the “Sunnah,” the divinely guided tradition of Islam's Prophet. They still take those ancient verses literally, thank goodness for the 30 years war which began a secular Government and ousted religion.

• Like 1

Not like it has not happened before, you would think that Salman Rushdie and Kurt Westergaard would have been some rather large red flags. It's all good to say one would rather die on their feet, but that is what happened to this poor fellow. I don't think it was worth it. If Islam can inspire such barbaric actions, then we could well do without it altogether.

• Like 1

Nah, the head honcho is much bigger than the King, that barbaric system is based on the religion itself. here are two sources of Shariah: The Quran, which many Muslims consider to be the literal word of God; and the “Sunnah,” the divinely guided tradition of Islam's Prophet. They still take those ancient verses literally, thank goodness for the 30 years war which began a secular Government and ousted religion.

I am not sure about it but i always believed that culture plays big role in how people practice their religion, any religion, anywhere. Not only Saudi. Anyways, it makes me really mad to see what people do in name of religion and what's even worse - those scum get focused in medias as true believers who follow 'the word of God' and it's almost always the same rule of acting ( by medias, journalists ) when it was Muslim killing others.

• Like 1

Why do people do crimes like this? Brutal ones?

Because they are sick. There are numerous examples of sick people doing all kinds of crazy stuff but when it's Muslim who murders others - it is because of Islam, not because of sickness.

Lately, when we get news article with ' murder ' in title, first question being asked is if he is Muslim, so that we can paint it as terrorist act or it is some other guy, so that we can say he was sick. Reporters main task lately is to check religion of those involved in crimes, article writing will be based on that.

You see, just recently beutiful young people got murdered in USA, whole community showed respect to victims... If thsoe were Chrsitians murdered by Muslim we would be talking about it even today, in one neverending thread of ' Jihad problem '.

It was not even mentioned here on UM.

• Like 3

It was not even mentioned here on UM.

Yeah, disappointing.

Yeah, disappointing.

You think I should post something? Just for the fun? I see that others are hesitant almost shameful, like virgins.

You think I should post something? Just for the fun? I see that others are hesitant almost shameful, like virgins.

If it involves a gun or minority victim of any kind the topic could go on forever.

I am not sure about it but i always believed that culture plays big role in how people practice their religion, any religion, anywhere. Not only Saudi.

For sure. It is surely why music is forbidden under that barbaric religion. Culture shapes the religion and the way it is applied. The 30 years war gave us more than we can ever realise, and yet ironically most people are unaware of it's existence at all. Or the fate of Thomas Becket.

Anyways, it makes me really mad to see what people do in name of religion and what's even worse - those scum get focused in medias as true believers who follow 'the word of God' and it's almost always the same rule of acting ( by medias, journalists ) when it was Muslim killing others.

But those Muslims cite the words of their God when they kill, like you say, culture ingrains that religion from birth and creates a nation of haters. I can't stress enough how important it is to future generations to be taught the sciences from day one, not the tall tale of religion.

I don't see why bro, news with subjects like in that one are not so popular nowdays.

For sure. It is surely why music is forbidden under that barbaric religion. Culture shapes the religion and the way it is applied. The 30 years war gave us more than we can ever realise, and yet ironically most people are unaware of it's existence at all. Or the fate of Thomas Becket.

It is not barbaric religion but there are barbarians who think that they do practice it propperly.

But those Muslims cite the words of their God when they kill, like you say, culture ingrains that religion from birth and creates a nation of haters. I can't stress enough how important it is to future generations to be taught the sciences from day one, not the tall tale of religion.

Yes, they do but that doesn't make them Muslims but non Muslims actually, to kill is a sin. I don't know man, really, but i feel same about what you say for future generations and only reason for that is that people are getting dumber with time, morale and respect are becoming thing of past.

But what i said aobut media's is correct, first thing to check at crime scene is religion of those involved. That is how the world functions lately.

• Like 1

It is not barbaric religion but there are barbarians who think that they do practice it propperly.

I strongly disagree, all religions are barbaric, Christianity has been forced to behave in a secular run society, but it still influences enough to give us bad things like hatred of minority groups. Any religion or group that considers it OK to behead a person for apostasy in this day and age is indeed barbaric.

Yes, they do but that doesn't make them Muslims but non Muslims actually, to kill is a sin. I don't know man, really, but i feel same about what you say for future generations and only reason for that is that people are getting dumber with time, morale and respect are becoming thing of past.

A Muslim brother is forgiven as a martyr, did you see the 3,000 people turn out to cry for and support the Bali Bombers? That was a display of barbarism in itself. Many regarded the deaths as a victory, as did far too many Muslims who advocated 911, including Anthony Mundine from Australia showing us the religion is a strong influence in a bad way.

But what i said aobut media's is correct, first thing to check at crime scene is religion of those involved. That is how the world functions lately.

For sure, fastest way to sell headlines, Islam is big news at the moment thanks to the radical side causing a great deal of harm to the globe.

I strongly disagree, all religions are barbaric, Christianity has been forced to behave in a secular run society, but it still influences enough to give us bad things like hatred of minority groups. Any religion or group that considers it OK to behead a person for apostasy in this day and age is indeed barbaric.

I am sure that all our history can support your claim here but also it can support claim that every conflict and all violence are product of man, not religion. Religion gave perfect excuse for many groups, tribes... To steal and conquer others and what is even worse - to manipulate people who belong to their religion.

A Muslim brother is forgiven as a martyr, did you see the 3,000 people turn out to cry for and support the Bali Bombers? That was a display of barbarism in itself. Many regarded the deaths as a victory, as did far too many Muslims who advocated 911, including Anthony Mundine from Australia showing us the religion is a strong influence in a bad way.

Some people ( and what is sad, its many people lately ) are blinded by hate.

For sure, fastest way to sell headlines, Islam is big news at the moment thanks to the radical side causing a great deal of harm to the globe.

True, but not only Muslims are to blame for that. But, now, with all those terrible violence i feel shame to mention history and possible reasons why some Muslims became extreme. You see, even Europe didn't wonna have Muslim country ( Bosnia [ to add: Bosnia was always muti cultural society here, i see it as land of all, Christians, Jews and Muslims and whoever wonna have it for themself only, he is my enemy ] ) and they stopped our and Croatian army before we cleaned country from all those who didn't wonna have multi ethnic country. Today we live in terrible country, thanks to 'european values'. While we was dying, hardly anyone cared - not before genocide happened and over 50% land was ethincally clensed but when we started to win and lead morally and ethically right war for liberation, we was stopped. Maybe not realted to topic, this part about Bosnia, but i felt it has some value to be mentioned and it happened 25 years ago. There is always evil that man do, that is my point, even without religion.

Well, that cuts it. My vacation to Rawalpindi is definitely off the table.

Rawalpindi is in Pakistan. Not Bangladesh. Go ahead on your vacation, the bangladeshis wont attempt to hack you to death, perhaps the Lashkar -e-Toiba or some taliban may attempt to welcome you with a blast. :innocent:

• Like 1

Rawalpindi is in Pakistan. Not Bangladesh. Go ahead on your vacation, the bangladeshis wont attempt to hack you to death, perhaps the Lashkar -e-Toiba or some taliban may attempt to welcome you with a blast. :innocent:

Pakistan is much more dangerous than Bangladesh, formerly East Pakistan, and the word you're struggling with is Bengali, or Bangali. :-*

I am sure that all our history can support your claim here but also it can support claim that every conflict and all violence are product of man, not religion. Religion gave perfect excuse for many groups, tribes... To steal and conquer others and what is even worse - to manipulate people who belong to their religion.

And man then writes down the best way to use the masses as a weapon, writes a book, says God told him to, and away we go, people fall into line for the highest authority they can imagine, and who will reward them for being subservient. Religion is the evil of man recorded in text to pass onto future generations, many of whom will misuse it for personal gain as we have seen in history, and as we do with Radical Islam today, the instigators are long dead and no more than dust now, but the religion they used to rape and pillage continues today, and is still killing people by the thousands. Yes man started it, and as long as we have religion, man will have yet another reason to hurt others. The more of those reasons we take away, and the more we can enlighten mankind, the better of we would all be.

Some people ( and what is sad, its many people lately ) are blinded by hate.

The difference is Islam gives people a green light from God to kill others who offend them. And this option is taken up far to often for a modern society, it is a disgrace.

True, but not only Muslims are to blame for that. But, now, with all those terrible violence i feel shame to mention history and possible reasons why some Muslims became extreme. You see, even Europe didn't wonna have Muslim country ( Bosnia [ to add: Bosnia was always muti cultural society here, i see it as land of all, Christians, Jews and Muslims and whoever wonna have it for themself only, he is my enemy ] ) and they stopped our and Croatian army before we cleaned country from all those who didn't wonna have multi ethnic country. Today we live in terrible country, thanks to 'european values'. While we was dying, hardly anyone cared - not before genocide happened and over 50% land was ethincally clensed but when we started to win and lead morally and ethically right war for liberation, we was stopped. Maybe not realted to topic, this part about Bosnia, but i felt it has some value to be mentioned and it happened 25 years ago. There is always evil that man do, that is my point, even without religion.

There is absolutely no reason for anyone to become "extreme" and to say one is killing for their God?? Absolute madness, to suffer so badly, and then go inflict the same on others is not justified, that is barbarism. Radicalisation, Terror attacks, protests, treatment of women, heck, Islam has a great deal associated with it that would not be tolerated under any other banner. Any other group causing this much harm and unrest would be ousted well and truly by now. Religion is the banner wee all need to be able to see past, and allow us to act fairly instead of allowing early indoctrination to let atrocities slide past in the name of religion. We need to take these excuses for hurting others away from those that use religion as a cover, not protect them because it is how we were brought up, we need to start thinking about this, and not just rolling with the punches.