Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Horses with Horns (Unicorns)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    tkr9

tkr9

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 10:40 PM

Just to say whilst reading a superb book on the Spanish horse by the woman who is THE last word in anything to do with Iberian horses, Sylvia Loch, that there are types of Spanish pony, now very rare, that every now and again are born with two bony lumps, nearly horn, on their forehead. It would scarcely be too far fetched to suggest that one genetically abnormal type might be in possession of a single horn, and perhaps there were once many like this, giving birth to the image of the unicorn. grin2.gif  

We are heathens who worship an idol, that we keep for our pleasure and pride, slaves to the saddle and bridle, but kings of the earth when we ride! Ode to Horses.

#2    MoonFox

MoonFox

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 11:44 PM

That is interesting about the horses being born with bony lumps on their heads. perhaps that had something to do with changing the unicorn's depiction into a horse rather than keeping with the original, more realistic goat/deer-like unicorns that were sighted in old days.

Are the 'bony lumps' though just a defect in the skull, or is it a horn type material that would be able to grow?

I am not sure when the unicorn's appearance became known as a horned horse, (I know it wasnt all too long ago, and thats the typical accepted depiction now) but yea maybe these horses had something to do with contributing to the change?

#3    tkr9

tkr9

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 12:14 AM

I'm not sure if the growths were boney or horns. I'll have to look it up, I read it ages ago. It's in Lady Loch's the Royal Horse of Europe.

But the interesting thing is these horses might have descended from the Moorish invader's horses (barbs and arabians), so that might mean the 'horned' horses come from much farther East, where many unicorn legends originated.

We are heathens who worship an idol, that we keep for our pleasure and pride, slaves to the saddle and bridle, but kings of the earth when we ride! Ode to Horses.

#4    tkr9

tkr9

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 10:02 PM

In addition to my last, now long forgotten post, but trying to research them is problematic. Lots is written about the folklore but paranormal/unexplained investigators seem more keen on big feet and soggy monsters so does anyone know if any cryptoxoologist actually believed in them enough to mount an expedition like the numerous Big Foot expeditions, or as a mythological creature rather than zoological in nature is it a different classification?

I think they probably derived from rhino or Oryx sightings, but the little kid in me insists they exist. If only in Vavra's stunning photographs. thumbsup.gif  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users