Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dr. Geoff Marcy to search for ET spacecraft

Dr. Geoff Marcy, who has discovered many exoplanets, will search the Kepler Space Observatory's data for extraterrestrial spacecraft passing in front of stars http://www.canberrat...0724-2qibc.html

Edited by bison
  • Like 2

That does sound pretty cool and I genuinely hope he finds something, though it does seem to me that if anything is observed at all it may be rather hard to positively identify it as being definitely a spacecraft and not some natural object or phenomenon of some kind. I'm not sure if Dyson spheres are really feasible, but some large orbiting array of separate craft may be, and could be detected if they knew roughly which region of the galaxy to focus on.

Dr. Marcy admits he doesn't know exactly what he should be looking for. He has some idea about large space vessels passing in front of stars. These could, after all, be at any distance between us and the star under observation. He speaks about stars winking out at times, essentially being eclipsed. That would involve truly enormous eclipsing objects at stellar distances; smaller ones, at lesser distances.

Edited by bison

makes sense, i always thought that litsening for broadcasts was a little far fetched, but internet i could believe

Some people waste money on sports equipment, some on designer clothing, some on expensive cars. It's not money wasted to the people who's money it is and it isn't taxpayer money so go ahead guys. Slim chance of results but with one trip through life do what makes you happy.

Edited by mrknownothing
  • Like 3

Very good read. I can't help but wonder if are internet has already become a "Exonet". Considering that on the internet you can be talking to anyone/anything through animity. And if Aliens truly are visiting our planet in the form of UFOs it is very possible they have already connected are World Wide Web to the rest of the Galaxy.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Had the galaxy been full of aliens who send texts, tweets, emails, selfies, or order goodies from some galactic eBay, then surely humans would have known that by now.

It is not our job nor responsibility to look for aliens; it is upon them (assuming aliens are far more advanced) to find Earth.

Dr. Geoff Marcy, who has discovered many exoplanets, will search the Kepler Space Observatory's data for extraterrestrial spacecraft passing in front of stars http://www.canberrat...0724-2qibc.html

Why not look for them here?

"A long way ye may go for nothing. Stand still and let the truth come to you".

Science is sinking ever deeper into the mud of stupidity.

Edited by zoser

They don't need to look out that far.

Thats right, all they have to do is debate Roswell a few decades more. :santa:

• Like 2

I think they would do if there was cast iron scientific proof that an alien spaceship had ever been here

• Like 1

No only idiots are doing what idiots do, science still has it's complete integrity. A true scientist wouldn't be wasting money on such ventures. This is the pseudo group defecating on the web again.. Why fund something so ridiculous. The odds of seeing even asteroids or comets is rare, let alone a chance "fly-by". smh

• Like 1

Any expense for such great purpose should not be questioned at all. However the problem i forsee is interpratations of data. Assumingly some results might indicate a spaceship passing in the front of a star creating fluctuations, etc...so it is a meteorite, or coment or anything else. There would be a lot of if and maybe.

I personaly believe there is a lot of cosmological science and processes that we don't trully understand or we're wrongly interpreting. How we can deal with that?

Edited by qxcontinuum

If that's what everyone did, you wouldn't be here telling us about your crazy alien ideas.

Have you found the bottom yet?

They have been, for nearly 70 years and they have failed miserably. There is no proof that alien life has ever visited here, we have some credulous explanations for some atmospheric anomalies from a less than reputable crowd propagated via entertainment media. Due to the fantastic nature of the tales, the misdirections in recent times with regards to the possibility of life on Mars and Venus coupled with the ignorance of the masses, has led to some thinking this popular culture to be fact, when it is indeed anything but. The woo woo train simply continues to borrow credibility from people just like this to propagate nonsense. If not, why was Bob Lazar not even close with element 115?

If not one object has even been tracked as coming from space into or out of our atmosphere since the inception of RADAR, why look to space for a UFO answer if not only imagination? This is science remember, not a campfire.

Is that so?

Kepler has been wildly successful in its four years. To date, it has found 132 exoplanets - that is, planets outside our solar system - and possibly 3216 more that await confirmation. Researchers have extrapolated from Kepler data that our Milky Way galaxy alone contains at least 100 billion exoplanets, as many planets as there are stars. Still, with the telescope - which is 40 million miles from Earth - having collected data on 150,000 star systems, researchers are only beginning to pick through all the information.

What have UFOlogists uncovered in 60 years? How to accelerate book sales? Waiting around and guessing has produced many anecdotes, but not much else. The curse of Phil Klass comes to mind here!

Seems to be kicking more goals than your heroes? What have you got? Believe testimony - and only when it suits you.

Standing still is how you got to where you are today. It's also rather lazy isn't it? You are also not the most magnetic personality either, why do you think anything would just come to you? Is that like those pathetic hippies that ask the Universe to provide for them?

Could you explain further please. I honestly consider your opinion valid in this instance as I feel you are something of an expert in this field.

This man has more of a clue than every FTB in the world tied together and folded over.

Really, the proper question is: 'How far away is our nearest intelligent neighbour?' They could be 10 light-years, 100 light-years, a million light-years or more. We have no idea."

That sounds more like the questions we should be seeking answers to.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2

I hear ya psyche101 ! If E.T would of been here like some of these so-called x-purts or I should say AAA guys specially the ones that have scammed there ways onto to the Airwaves!

Just to mention that All these Aliens helped us out Is Insane ! We have on the other hand sent out probes,our little calling cards to points out there ! And we always leave evidence of our world& type`s of tech level !

Yet there has been not a piece of hardware left for us to Inspect ? I find that quite unrealistic !

E.T. would of come and built the great Stone temples and such,and not even leave one cutting tool,or bolt or C/D/ disc on how to build a City ?

I think its a far streche to believe we for One are the ones that have built every thing on this Planet !

Sad ! VEry sad to undermind our Greatness ! :tu:

• Like 1

I hear ya psyche101 ! If E.T would of been here like some of these so-called x-purts or I should say AAA guys specially the ones that have scammed there ways onto to the Airwaves!

Just to mention that All these Aliens helped us out Is Insane ! We have on the other hand sent out probes,our little calling cards to points out there ! And we always leave evidence of our world& type`s of tech level !

Yet there has been not a piece of hardware left for us to Inspect ? I find that quite unrealistic !

E.T. would of come and built the great Stone temples and such,and not even leave one cutting tool,or bolt or C/D/ disc on how to build a City ?

I think its a far streche to believe we for One are the ones that have built every thing on this Planet !

Sad ! VEry sad to undermind our Greatness ! :tu:

He just gets everything wrong, and then orders all other posters around like he is some authority, when he is anything but. I do not have a problem with pondering, but to say such stuff is fact is just going too far, and the throw away your textbooks lone I feel honestly deserves no respect whatsoever. Not sure why so many wear kid gloves with him, he sure does not bother when speaking to people like Jim who are so many leagues in front of him that even several lifetimes of catching up would still have them apart.

I find his nonsense an insult to logic, common sense, and humanity as a whole.

They don't need to look out that far.

I understand he spends a fair amount of time looking at the sky. If they were here he would probably know.

I understand he spends a fair amount of time looking at the sky. If they were here he would probably know.

And then you'd take his word for it, I'm sure.