Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Alleged Russian spy used fake papers

Thanato

Alleged Russian spy used fake papers, experts testify

An alleged Russian spy being held on a security certificate does not officially "exist" in Canada, according to expert witnesses who testified during the suspect's first day of trial in Federal Court.

There are no records of any legitimate Ontario birth or death certificates issued to the man known as Paul William Hampel, said Dale Hopkins, an investigator with the Office of the Registrar General of Ontario.

The man, who was arrested on a security certificate on Nov. 14 at the Trudeau airport, claims to have been born in Canada with that name. He's accused of using a fake birth certificate to acquire a Canadian passport to spy for Moscow.

The birth certificate he was carrying when he was arrested is forged, and has a registration number issued to a different person, who is still alive, Hopkins told the court Tuesday morning.

The suspect is challenging his security certificate, which allows authorities to detain him until he's deported. His lawyer, Stéphane Handfield, hasn't revealed many details about his client, or the work he does, but insists he won't leave the country without a fight.

The security certificate trial continues Tuesday afternoon.

Source

~Thanato

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thanato

• Shaftsbury

• __Kratos__

Top Posters In This Topic

What was he spying? I hear all this spy deeds being brought up but all I've seen is the fake document charges.

Since this is being done on a National security certifict I dout CSIS wants to release large amounts of evidence before they do it in the trial.

~Thanato

It is my understanding that he was merely using Canada as a handy portal to other locations. It has been said that he travelled extensively in europe.