Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

NASA Mission Seeks Lunar Air

moon ladee nasa

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,115 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:38 PM

ScienceCasts: NASA Mission Seeks Lunar Air

Visit http://science.nasa.gov/ for breaking science news.

A NASA spacecraft slated for launch in September will fly to the Moon to investigate the tenuous lunar atmosphere. Researchers hope "LADEE" will solve a mystery that has been puzzling them since the days of Apollo.

Source: NASA Science

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    cacoseraph

cacoseraph

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 176 posts

• this user is both more and less wrathful and more and less clever than he seems

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:14 AM

Trip out!  1/10,000,000,000,000th the density of earth's atmosphere isn't much, but it is still a heck of a lot greater than the zero I had always assumed.

I wonder how durable the atmosphere is... like, do the individual atoms and molecules stick around enough for it to very slowly be thickening or do they get ejected into space never to return around as fast as they are generated?

Cool stuff, thanks for the link :)

edit:

as for the rays of dawn, my first thought was actually dust from micrometeorite impact.  with (*ahem* basically) no atmo the moon must have at least 100's, if not many, many more times the impacts as earth.  mix that with the much lessened gravity and again, the lack of atmosphere and the ejecta could be way non-trivial.

Edited by cacoseraph, 01 September 2013 - 03:17 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users