Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What are your beliefs about death ?

Ali Baba

What do you think happens when you die ?? Personally I believe in reincarnation after a short time in another consciencesness

After having a few surgeries....

Light switch on....

Light switch off....

I hope not, but that is what I am thinking.

• Like 1

I favour the idea that when we die we experience the afterlife we expect, Buddhists get reincarnated, Christians get a mansion in the house of the Father of Jesus, Atheists just stop ... which means it sucks to be an Atheist ;) Maybe you get to choose - Heaven, reincarnate, end it ...

• Like 2

I believe that death is a transition. Consciousness interrupted momentarily then a new reality. That interruption is timeless so in the world we are in now thousands of years could pass, or moments.... But I fully expect to see Jesus and hopefully He'll be smiling :) Beyond that, I don't imagine much, I think it will be a never ending story.

• Like 2

Don`nt know what to think, once believe in reincarnation, but now believe in memory cells that go on. In any case its is hard to believe one`s conscious or awareness only has a moment in eternity. :)

And if any of these organs should be transplanted into another person, parts of these memories - perhaps even elements of the soul - might also be transferred.

http://www.dailymail...human-soul.html

Edited by docyabut2

I favour the idea that when we die we experience the afterlife we expect, Buddhists get reincarnated, Christians get a mansion in the house of the Father of Jesus, Atheists just stop ... which means it sucks to be an Atheist ;) Maybe you get to choose - Heaven, reincarnate, end it ...

That kind of death would be amazing and I hope it's what death is like. Have you ever experienced the blissful oblivion of dreamless sleep...it's my favorite pass time.

• Like 1

I don't think death is the end, more of a metamorphosis.

• Like 2

I believe it is a mystery but that we do definitely go on. I firmly believe in God and that I would be ushered into his presents. I believe that we have a set of spiritual that is connected to our real family and people of a certain connection with will be reconnected time after time in the spititual realms. I believe in reincarnation, but I also believe in heaven or hell. I believe in ghosts but I think they are kind of rare.. if there is anyone out there that sees them everywhere they go, bless you child, for the most part I think we sleep, perhaps we sleep intense and have many spiritual dreams ;)

Welp.... im sure theres a lot more but I never died before.... :)

I do believe there will be a day of judgement and of the creation of the new Jerusalem for the preservation of the saced text and so God can say I told you so :)

I do not think hell is what people think of it as but I do think while you are there you will be in the presents of many monsters and hideous unendurable things and that at every stage of life you are positioned to fight against principalities... that is your upbuilding and position in the Lord, and that status is unique to only you and that god is ever present whether you're alive or if your dead and that even if you do have to endure hell you may still come back from the dead... but after experiencing what you did you would be greatful to the Lord...

:)

Edited by SpiritWriter

I think it really depends on what you want and believe. Some people will just leave, some people will be reincarnated, some will stay behind possibly as a ghost or what not, some may even go to a better place. I think it is a tad bit more complicated then just one set form.

Say you don't want to leave, basically become a ghost you finish your business and move on... get to a better place, after a time you get bored, you go hey screw this and get reincarnated, you die again then your like you know what screw this I'm tired then you just sleep for a bit(the whole atheist nothing bit), you become rested and wake up... reincarnated yet again. Depends on what you want at the moment

• Like 1

I think it really depends on what you want and believe. Some people will just leave, some people will be reincarnated, some will stay behind possibly as a ghost or what not, some may even go to a better place. I think it is a tad bit more complicated then just one set form.

Say you don't want to leave, basically become a ghost you finish your business and move on... get to a better place, after a time you get bored, you go hey screw this and get reincarnated, you die again then your like you know what screw this I'm tired then you just sleep for a bit(the whole atheist nothing bit), you become rested and wake up... reincarnated yet again. Depends on what you want at the moment

I like this and agree but also with the added flavor of not having so much control sometimes, I know there are some teachings that say we choose our life, or as the above example (I'm not trying to pick on or apose you but you did make me think of this example) we choose when we go and where.. I believe sometimes we have choices, but not always and that it is rare, especially for decisions of this magnitude.. I also believe in the variety of the spiritual and perhaps that it would be a special gift that some would have, to be able to choose in this way, but that would be a rarety and true blessing. For example, do you recall picking this life, can you chose how to die except for suicide, do you dictate any major results? We may say we have sway over them but I think also we recognize the great aspect of fate... I believe there is a larger picture that involves something greater than our own wills.

Edited by SpiritWriter

Actually you pretty much nailed the what you want part right. Since realistically you can't everything you want because some things are out of your control. That is one of those universal truths which explaining it would of made it more boring to write.

What Do We Know About Heaven?

#1. Heaven seems to be a place where thoughts are things and consciousness creates reality.

excerpt from Mark H's NDE:

Suddenly I thought of a mountain, I had seen as a child. When I looked up from the road there it was; The Mountain! Not just the mountain! But the most breathtaking mountain I had ever seen! Details the likes of which no one could imagine. Colors shades of color, shadows for which there are no words in the human language to describe it.

http://www.nderf.org...ark_h's_nde.htm

excerpt from A.J. Ayer's NDE:

"Did you know that I was dead ? It was most extraordinary, my thoughts became persons."

http://gonsalves.org...ite/atheist.htm

#2. Heaven seems to be a place where time and space do not exist; at least not in the same way they do here. The physics of the other side is very different than this physical universe:

"I was told that before we're born, we have to take an oath that we will pretend time and space are real so we can come here and advance our spirit. If you don't promise, you can't be born." (from Jeanie Dicus' near-death experience, 1974)

"Space and time are illusions that hold us to our physical realm; out there all is present simultaneously." (from Beverly Brodsky's near-death experience, 1970)

"During this experience, time had no meaning. Time was an irrelevant notion. It felt like eternity. I felt like I was there an eternity." (from Grace Bubulka's near-death experience, 1988?)

"I didn't know if I had been in that light for a minute of a day or a hundred years." (from Jayne Smith's near-death experience, 1965?)

"Earthly time had no meaning for me anymore. There was no concept of "before" or "after." Everything - past, present, future - existed simultaneously." (from Kimberly Sharp's near-death experience, date unknown)

"Time could also be contracted, I found. Centuries would condense into seconds. Millenniums would shrink into moments. The entire civilization that I was part of passed by in the blink of an eye." (from John Star's near-death experience, date unknown)

http://near-death.co...rticles004.html

#3. Heaven is a place where the feelings of oneness and connectedness seem to be infinite and overwhelming:

excerpt from Mark Horton's NDE:

"I suddenly just relaxed completely and allowed "myself" to dissolve (?) open up (?) merge (?) into the "oneness" that surrounded me. "

http://www.mindsprin.../nde/markh.html

excerpt from Michelle's NDE:

I remember understanding the others here.. as if the others here were a part of me too. As if all of it was just a vast expression of me. But it wasn't just me, it was .. gosh this is so hard to explain.. it was as if we were all the same. As if consciousness were like a huge being. The easiest way to explain it would be like all things are all different parts of the same body.

http://nderf.org/mic...lle_m's_nde.htm

#4. Heaven seems to be a place where just by thinking about a place or time we can go there and experience everything about that time and place:

excerpt from Mark Horton's NDE

I had to merely think of a place and time and I was there, experiencing everything about the place and time and people present.”

http://www.mindsprin.../nde/markh.html

#5. And Heaven seems to be a place where because of those feelings of oneness and connectedness we will share the experiences of every living creature that existed:

excerpt from Randy Gehling's (age 10) NDE:

"That was really cool! I kind of felt as though my body exploded - in a nice way - and became a million different atoms - and each single atom could think its own thoughts and have its own feelings. All at once I seemed to feel like I was a boy, a girl, a dog, a cat, a fish. Then I felt like I was an old man, an old woman - and then a little tiny baby."

http://near-death.co.../animals04.html

#6. And last but not least; Where is heaven? It seems to be all around us:

Excerpt from little Daisy Dryden's death bed vision:

Two days before she left us, the Sunday School Superintendent came to see her. She talked very freely about going, and sent a message by him to the Sunday School. When he was about to leave, he said, "Well, Daisy, you will soon be over the 'dark river.` After he had gone, she asked her father what he meant by the "dark river." He tried to explain it, but she said, "It is all a mistake; there is no river; there is no curtain; there is not even a line that separates this life from the other life." And she stretched out her little hands from the bed, and with a gesture said, "It is here and it is there; I know it is so, for I can see you all, and I see them there at the same time."

http://www.survivala...bv/chapter3.htm

Edited by Artaxerxes
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting logic there. So you assume that Yahweeh, Allah, Buddha and all the rest of the pantheon all exist at the same time? In that case, I am sure that one of the more benevolent gods (like the one of the Jains) will also accomodate the atheists.

But since religions typically claim to accept the sole truth, you better realize that a religionist is only an atheist minus one. And the tens of thousands of religions out there, Pascal´s bet really does not offer that great odds...

Edited by Zaphod222

I believe that before life there was something.

After life there is something..

So even when your life is through,

there's something to look forward to.

• Like 2

What do you think happens when you die ?? Personally I believe in reincarnation after a short time in another consciencesness

Hi Ali Bab,

It's not just a belief; I know that there's a reality in us that doesn't cease to exist. Call it "presence," soul, or spirit, if you will. It, however, has to go somewhere after the body falls away. In a way, our time on earth is spent to give our soul its proper home after this lifetime. Reincarnation is one alternative, but it's DEFINITELY not my goal. Going through the process of Nirvana via the Void (to be one with God) is another, but the catch is you have to lose your "uniqueness," the "awareness" that you are separate from God because God (the Father) is one (not 2, 3 , 4 and so on) in His reality, the only captain of the ship; God is not run by a committee. On the other hand, I believe in the Holy Trinity -- "the threefold personality of the one Divine Being."

Jesus Christ (the Son) is my Lord with the promise of His paradise...eternal perfection. I believe that in paradise, the "awareness" of my uniqueness will not be erased, deleted, burned up -- unlike going through the process of Nirvana to merge with God (the Father).

Paradise versus Nirvana (merging) versus reincarnation.

Peace.

Paul

• Like 1

You go into a higher dimensional realm, there are hidden dimensions superimposed over you everywhere. God is nearer to you than your jugular vein.

I've always been skeptical about an afterlife: after all, its such a nice idea and we don't want to die. That makes me suspicious. Also, there are conditions where the memory deteriorates and with it the personality vanishes. To a large extent we are our memories, and these conditions imply that physical disease destroys our memory, so death would also.

I think for these reasons it is best for me to avoid discussion with people who don't think there is life after death. For a slew of reasons, mostly anectdotal and unreproducible, both personal and testimony from others, there does seem to be at least some who in some way survive death.

I would not be surprised if extinction were not what happens to the truly evil, if such people actually exist. Rebirth in the Buddhist sense (not reincarnation, a different thing) seems likely, but why limit such events to the Earth? -- and again maybe there are such limits.

I don't know. When I think about it I fancy afterlife, I fancy reincarnation and I fancy the blackness of a finite life, but they also scare me. An I worthy of the good afterlife? Will I go up or down the reincarnation ladder? If it's all black, so what of all this? I don't believe in anything, I just know death is a wall.

Edited by Hasina

Paradise versus Nirvana (merging) versus reincarnation.

The last two are not separate options. In the Buddhist worldview, the chain of reincarnations eventually gets you to liberation from it (NIrwana).

Quite an elegant philosphy. But just as unfounded as all the others.

Fact is: We don´t know. Like it or not.

• Like 1

The last two are not separate options. In the Buddhist worldview, the chain of reincarnations eventually gets you to liberation from it (NIrwana).

Quite an elegant philosphy. But just as unfounded as all the others.

Fact is: We don´t know. Like it or not.

Were that Buddhist teaching were really so full of hope. Buddhism emphasizes what the world really is, not what we would like it to be.

First, the word "reborn" is usually preferred over "reincarnated." Reincarnation implies that we return; rebirth implies something different. We die. We are dead. Something of our life process or spirit can survive this and come into a womb and become a new person. That is a new person, with its own genetic makeup, its own life experiences, its own personality. About the only thing it inherits is some of the karma and traits of the former person, and few if any of its memories. It is essentially a new person. Buddhism does not offer immortality.

The second thing is that this process is not universally viewed as desirable. Existence is mainly about the frustration of desires and ensuing suffering. The objective is to escape the cycle of "Samsara" (this rebirth process) by stopping the rebirth, and this is done by suppressing the desire to continue personal existence. One then is able to become extinct and end the endless suffering.

Now obviously not all, nor probably even a large number, of Buddhists take it so bluntly. Nirvana means extinction, but it also means paradise. Many Buddhists see the promise of each rebirth leading to a higher and higher state until one gets into a heaven or becomes a Buddha oneself. The reality as originally conceived, however, was more one of a random walk; during some lives karma is accumulated, during others it is spent. The cycle essentially goes on forever.

Buddhism has many varieties, and many of these varieties are more or less optimistic on these topics, or at least deny the extinction aspect of Nirvana. Others don't emphasize the life is suffering aspect and try to make the best of a world in which both suffering and pleasure coexist.

• Like 1