Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Nome, Alaska - Fact or Fiction?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16    Robbo

Robbo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:19 PM

I don't see why they bothered to even try and make out that it was a true story. I have seen this movie since I originally posted and I wasn't all that impressed. Just seemed to be another attempted horror movie.

"When you've done things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all" - God entity

#17    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:50 PM

I remembered reading something about it, and pulled up the Wiki page.

The first one address' fake news reports attributed to the news of the area:

http://www.breitbart...&show_article=1

The second one:

http://community.adn...adn/node/143292

I found this interesting:

No one has heard of the psychologist, including the state licensing board and president of the state psychologists association. And while there have indeed been disappearances in Nome — mainly people traveling to the hub city from surrounding Inupiat and Siberian Yupik villages — blaming a real-life tragedy on alien abduction is not sitting well with the non-profit that pushed the cases into the open.

“The movie looks ridiculous,” said Kawerak Inc. Vice President Melanie Edwards, who watched the trailer online Monday. “It’s insensitive to family members of people who have gone missing in Nome over the years.”

Universal Pictures is distributing the film in the United States. The star, Milla Jovovich, is a veteran of three “Resident Evil” movies about diabolical corporations and zombies. In the trailer, she introduces herself as an actress and tells the audience that “every scene in this movie is supported by archived footage.”

Read more: http://community.adn...2#ixzz1Josd5HXe

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#18    Legaia

Legaia

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

• "I have grown quite fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

-Sir Winston Churchill

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:25 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 17 April 2011 - 09:50 PM, said:

I remembered reading something about it, and pulled up the Wiki page.

The first one address' fake news reports attributed to the news of the area:

http://www.breitbart...&show_article=1

The second one:

http://community.adn...adn/node/143292

I found this interesting:

Everything in the movie was fake its been proven over and over.. Its actually really, REALLY old news.

#19    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:32 PM

yup, since the OP is from '09.

But figured I'd post those links here anyway.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#20    Paxus

Paxus

Poltergeist

• 2,689 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:35 PM

that cruddy film wasted 2 hours of my life!!!!

#21    Legaia

Legaia

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

• "I have grown quite fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

-Sir Winston Churchill

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:41 AM

Lol I actually was hurt deeply by how the lovely Milla Jovovich looked me in the eye in the beginning and told me lie after lie... :cry:

#22    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:45 PM

View Postcaptain pish, on 17 April 2011 - 07:53 PM, said:

Those reports are hilarious! if you have a spare hour and need a good laugh give them a read. Brilliant! Seems like every sighting is the result of the witnesses intake of LSD. Id say that 99.9% of them are complete fabrications from attention seekers.
UFO Info has hundreds of fun reports going back decades. I've wasted more than an hour reading them. Most of them are not worth reading (I ignore all the bedroom visitations) and are so lacking in details that they're worthless. There are even some that are proved hoaxes but are still listed. A few of the rest make for great scary fiction, especially if they start out mundane and believable.

I especially like the road encounters like the Nome ones since driving alone in the middle of the night is naturally scary. There is one that has all the elements. A couple's truck overheats and while fixing it in the moonlight they see an alien creature jump over a wall and casually stroll towards them across the road. The woman screams, the alien jumps back over the wall and watches them, but decides to come back over again. They panic, dump water onto the engine and get out of there. As they pull away they see the creature is trying to smile at them but has rows of pointy teeth. Little details at the right time (in this case at the end of the story, not the beginning) sell the tale.

The Nome reports are also pretty good. They allegedly happened over multiple days, they allegedly had multiple witnesses (but no names!), the reports build in detail (start with one creature, end with three), they were in a spooky area (the road leads to Nome's extensive strip mines) and ultimately make no sense. Why would "holographic" beings who don't seem to be real appear over three nights at the same time just to be chased or chase teens around. If people were obviously going there expecting to see something incredible, why didn't anyone bring a camera (this was 1988)? Since Nome is such a small town, it's doubtful that you could verify any of these reports even though this should have been big news there.

#23    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,647 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:04 PM

I wonder what Sarah Palin thinks of this?

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#24    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:39 PM

View Post:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:, on 19 April 2011 - 06:04 PM, said:

I wonder what Sarah Palin thinks of this?
I bet she thinks it was dinosaurs...

#25    Old Man Waffles

Old Man Waffles

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:13 PM

I watched that a while ago :) i think most of the film is made up but im sure that i saw an article somewhere about disappearances in nome but its probably dramatised

-------Sensei waffles

#26    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,061 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:32 PM

The funny part is what Sara Palin thinks ! Is that a trick question?
We all know what she thinks ! "Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" nuttin.

This is a Work in Progress!

#27    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,759 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:16 AM

Alaska newspapers, movie studio reach settlement over 'Fourth Kind'

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#28    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,759 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:19 AM

View PostPaxus, on 17 April 2011 - 11:35 PM, said:

that cruddy film wasted 2 hours of my life!!!!

Not very positive!
;)
Anyone else, is it a waste of time, or worth the watch? Is it a bit drawn out, much action????

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#29    arenee

arenee

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

• I wish I was more witty; then this might say something funny.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 02 May 2012 - 03:19 AM, said:

Not very positive!
;)
Anyone else, is it a waste of time, or worth the watch? Is it a bit drawn out, much action????
I was not a huge fan of the film but I do recommend watching it. It's one of those things you've just got to see.  It's not something that's easy to describe.  I know some people who are still afraid of that movie and refuse to watch it again, knowing it's not real.  I don't find it scary but how cool it would be if it was real.  I also can't imagine if it were why these occurances weren't all over the news....we'd finally have some evidence of the ETH.

I also think it in it's own sneaky way, includes the ancient alient theory.  Does anyone agree with me here?

Edited by arenee, 02 May 2012 - 03:54 PM.

"A valuable contributor to UM! Always enjoy her clever and often original outlook. - Paxus"

#30    Amerix

Amerix

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:23 PM

It was a viral campaign like The Blairwitch project.. It's not real.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users