Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Birds are aware of speed limits on roads

birds speed limits roads car

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,032 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:32 PM

Birds cannot read road signs, but they know that some roads have higher speed limits than others. They will take off further away from an approaching car on a faster road than on a slower road – regardless of the speed of the car.

http://www.newscient...ml#.UhUHHH_F8dU

Posted Image

#2    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 16,616 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:36 PM

Bird-brains, huh. ;)

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#3    brlesq1

brlesq1

Fan Dancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

• Reality is highly overrated.

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:46 AM

How cool.

Forget what they told you. You want the truth, follow the money.
In this life, things are much harder than in the afterworld. In this life, you're on your own.--Prince

#4    ineffectiveArtist

ineffectiveArtist

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 183 posts

• "If we were blind and had no choice, would we hate each other by the tone of our voice?" - Anthrax, Schism

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

Wonder what happens if they change the speed limit... Splat. :)

#5    Oppono Astos

Oppono Astos

Overlord of Delgon

• 2,094 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:53 PM

So presumably the birds run hit/killed by vehicles are victims of drivers who break the speed limit?

Who is the skeptic: the realist who won't accept belief, or the believer who won't accept reality?

#6    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• 1,209 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

View PostLeonardo, on 21 August 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

Bird-brains, huh. ;)

I can tell you this though.  Birds play this game of divebombing in front of cars for no apparent reason.  I've seen it happen and had it happen to me where a bird will dive in front of a moving car like it was a game.  Some times they make it, some times not but it seems they are having fun in doing it.

#7    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,864 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

View PostMantis914, on 23 August 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

I can tell you this though.  Birds play this game of divebombing in front of cars for no apparent reason.  I've seen it happen and had it happen to me where a bird will dive in front of a moving car like it was a game.  Some times they make it, some times not but it seems they are having fun in doing it.

I call them Suicide Birds.  :yes:

This happened a while ago, but one evening I was driving near the lake and I had a Canada Goose fly up parallel to my car in the next lane. It flew at the same speed the car was going for a few seconds and then took off ahead of me! It was like some kind of really weird drag race. lol

#8    kapow53

kapow53

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 116 posts

• Kapow

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:14 AM

http://www.telegraph...-than-apes.html

#9    rodentraiser

rodentraiser

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 372 posts

• "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

from Wrong Planet Forums

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:04 PM

I think you can exclude grouse in this study. When I lived up in the hills, I drove up on the first grouse I'd ever seen while they were sitting in the middle of the road. I wasn't going that fast and I was used to birds taking off when my truck got within a yard or so of them, so imagine my surprise when I had to slam the brakes on when the grouse didn't so much as twitch a feather as they was about to be run over. All I could think of was: "And people have to hunt these things? Why don't they just run them over in cars?"

On the other hand, has anyone ever noticed that when you have to drive through a small town, particularly an upscale small town, you have to drive rather slow because the people act just like birds? They wait until you're just about even up with them on the sidewalk and then they jump out to cross the road in front of you, effectively causing an immediate and severe test of your brakes. No need to study them. It's pretty obvious at that point that they can't tell at what speed anyone is driving.

Posted Image

I’m sick of voting for the lesser of two evils. The lesser of two evils is still evil. And almost always the lesser of two evils is our only choice.

We have been voting for the lesser of two evils for decade upon decade and look where it’s gotten us.     Coleman Luck

#10    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:10 PM

I wonder how seagulls work out the dodgems at the funfairs in the holiday resorts?

Posted Image

#11    Shiloh17

Shiloh17

The Last.

• 2,281 posts

• "Eve's eve, a new beginning."

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:20 AM

The road runner obviously didn't care what the speed limit was.

Also tagged with birds, speed limits, roads, car

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users