Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Beaver Dam Stops Oil Spill

Still Waters

Although they didn't have much of a choice, the beavers saved the day.

A beaver dam helped prevent a large quantity of oil from spilling into a reservoir of fresh water in northern Utah. The leak, from a Chevron pipeline, spilled 27,000 gallons (102,200 liters) of crude oil into soil and marshes at Willard Bay State Park. Between the spill and the bay is where the unlikely heroes had made their home.

http://www.livescien...-saves-bay.html

It's a shame some of the beavers got hurt in the process :(

• Like 1

Thank you beavers you are true heroes!!!

When I heard about this I was almost sick to my stomach, Until I heard how the beavers saved the day. I have spent many an hour cat fishing, & taking photos in this refuge (posted a lot of the photos here in UM). These beavers probably saved millions of animals and their habitat. It's amazing how a simple stick and mud structure was so effective at stopping this spill, while our high tech equipment doesn't seem to measure up.

Here is a link to the latest news on the beavers recovery that I could find. Looks like 3 of them are doing fine. Get will soon beavers!

http://www.standard....-bay-fuel-spill

We have had 2 other oil spills in the recent past both in the creek that passes my home. Unfortunately we didn't have a beaver damn to stop it before the damage was done, killing the native cutthroat trout population. They remove the beavers from this creek when they show up to keep the neighborhood from flooding. To this day the creek still hasn't fully recovered, but the trout are starting to return.

Edited by evancj

Here is a link to the latest news on the beavers recovery that I could find. Looks like 3 of them are doing fine. Get will soon beavers!

http://www.standard....-bay-fuel-spill

Thank you for the link evancj. I'm glad the injured beavers are being well taken care of and I hope they all recover from this horrible ordeal. In your link it says " It's unknown whether any other beavers might remain near the fuel leak site and have yet to be rescued," .....If there are some more, I hope they find them soon. If I come across any updates I'll come back and share.

It's a shame some of the beavers got hurt in the process :(

No it's not a shame. It's sick and should be illegal. It's not something to marvel at because it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

No it's not a shame. It's sick and should be illegal. It's not something to marvel at because it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

"Marvel at"? If this is aimed at me then you've misunderstood my comment.