Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World's reptiles at risk of extinction

Commander CMG

Almost a fifth of the world's reptile species are at risk of extinction, according to scientists.

Research led by the Zoological Society of London found that the future of 19% of the world's reptiles are threatened.

Read More

Yup, all the usual causes;

"in tropical regions due to pressures from agriculture and logging."

"In Haiti, six of the nine species of Anolis lizard studied also had an elevated level of localised extinction due to extensive deforestation."

""With turtles, what's quite often the case is they are affected by harvesting and they're quite often used for food or the pet trade,""

"Dr Bohm hopes the study's results will focus attention on their plight."

yes, we in the west are aware. Are the people doing the logging, farming, trapping aware? Do they care? I think not. Neither do their dysfunctional, corrupt governments.

We need a plague......A very large plague.

• Like 1

I get sick of people always blaming the west when it's not us hunting animals to extintion, making animal parts into medicine, neither is it us chopping down rain forrests.

So why do we get the blame?

• Like 3

I get sick of people always blaming the west when it's not us hunting animals to extintion, making animal parts into medicine, neither is it us chopping down rain forrests.

So why do we get the blame?

It is all of " us " .....Humans....Greedy Humans.

We need a plague, to many of us, out of control.

Survival of the fittest I suppose.

just imagine how much quicker they'd be going extinct if they were tastier?

McGekko burger anyone....?

• Like 1

Well I would like to put that little green lizard on TV on a spit, and I used to raise Phelsuma......

Yup, all the usual causes;

"in tropical regions due to pressures from agriculture and logging."

"In Haiti, six of the nine species of Anolis lizard studied also had an elevated level of localised extinction due to extensive deforestation."

""With turtles, what's quite often the case is they are affected by harvesting and they're quite often used for food or the pet trade,""

"Dr Bohm hopes the study's results will focus attention on their plight."

yes, we in the west are aware. Are the people doing the logging, farming, trapping aware? Do they care? I think not. Neither do their dysfunctional, corrupt governments.

Don't worry, our politicians will try to shake down the U.S. for money that we do not have, to stop a problem that we did not create. I feel badly for the animals, but if a country or culture does not care about them the, results of that should not be blamed on the west. It reminds me of harping on air pollution in America (which has done a pretty good job overall of reducing smog and the like over the last 50 years) yet ignoring the same in China and the developing world.

• Like 1

Ironically, if they were tasty we'd be farming them and they wouldn't be going extinct.

• Like 3

its the humans fault all the way in my opinion.why?because humans think we could just take over the land and built factories and etc.and we are destroying the planet in so many ways.one we are polluting the planet with these factories,nuclear power plants,coal and etc by sending harmful smoke and chemicals into the sky and the air and the whole planet.Humans have a destructive nature.we do not own the land neither do these corrupt governments all forms of government.we are living here and that's all.humans are destroying their natural habitat so they could built shopping malls and expensive shoes and etc.humans don't surprise me.whether people realize it or not it all points out to humans.mother nature will take revenge and do what she can to protect earth and nature and if humans don't learn soon.she will get rid of those people that are destroying the earth.i do not side with humans i side with nature and the earth!!!

Ironically, if they were tasty we'd be farming them and they wouldn't be going extinct.

_

hahahahaha!

you sir, are a stark, raving genius!!

@ shrooma what do you mean a stark?lol

Plenty of little bluebellies around hear. They managed to survive the comet that destroyed the Dino's, I imagine they will survive us. I'm not sure about us surviving us though

• Like 1

Bet you David Icke is rubbing his hands together in glee.

• Like 2

No... we cannot lose the crocodiles!

There would then be no creature I could fantasise about killing with my bare damn hands.

@ shrooma what do you mean a stark?lol

_

stark means 'completely' 'utterly', but the phrase I used is a rewording of the phrase 'stark raving lunatic'

extinction is a very common process for this world. Since time began for this universe. The very first process of extinction began a very long time ago, before the dinosaurs. There were creatures living in this earth that consumed most of the abundant methane that this world had available. These creatures converted the methane into oxygen. Which we currently have an abundant of thanks to them. Once they used up most of the methane that this world had. They run out of food and they died. They were one of the very first creatures that became extinct. To cut a long story short. The dinosaurs were next, which was caused by a large asteroid destroying almost everything in this planet. So to sum it up. Extinction for this planet is nothing new. It's just part of this universe evolution. One day man will be extinct, that's just the way it is. Get use to the extinction idea, because it's been here since time began

Plenty of little bluebellies around hear. They managed to survive the comet that destroyed the Dino's, I imagine they will survive us. I'm not sure about us surviving us though

Ah, reminds me of an old Sopwith Camel song:

"Should take a long walk out through the desert

living in the rocks like a blue bellied lizard

not come back until I'm dry and weathered

then come back as a dancing wizard."

Dancin' Wizard from The Miraculous Hump Returns from the Moon

I blame humanity for this not all of humanity but some of part of humanity like those tree cutters,natural habitat destroyers and etc people.lets destroy natural habits and etc so we could build shopping malls and or cars that help pollute the planet more.well I hope you people are happy because one day nature will attack back and the planet will cleanse herself from these leaches and parasites lol I side With nature and the planet and the other % of humanity that actually cares about the planet and mother nature!!!