Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

emotional connection to a different era

telirium

okay this might sound weird but i have strong emotional connections to the past and i don't know why. for instance, i feel most strongly about the early to mid 1800s. everytime i see or read anything related to this particular era i feel nostalgic. weird i know. i love everything about this era. the clothes, the housing, the still undiscovered landscape, etc. i also feel nostalgic with the mid to late 1700s. but i cannot stand anything after 1910 and i especially hate the 50s, 60s and 70s. samething with those eras with the lifestyles, clothing, housing. is this normal and does anybody else get connections to the past like this?

Edited by telirium
  • Like 1

I have a strange connection to feudal japan, I don't know why, but I love almost everything about that era...and just cuz ninjas are so sweet.

Yeah, kinda... I have a fascination with ancient Egypt, it seems...

I primarily feel attached to the 1960s (England), 1910s (America), 1800-10s (France), and 1770s (France). I feel attached to the Elizabethan period (England), high renaissance (Italy), and ancient Greece as well, but to a slightly lesser extent. It probably sounds ridiculous, all those years. A lot of my interests and preferences reflect those particular years.

The 1960s gives me a sense of interest and of youthful belonging.

The 1910s gives me a bittersweet feeling.

I love the 1800-10s, and the 1770s. They feel very "me". If you knew me, you'd understand.

^^^ I love furniture, fashion, music, and lifestyle from all of the above. I enjoy the art to an extent. I don't like much of the art from the 60s.

I doubt my interests/attachments mean anything, though.

Are anyones periods of interest linked to nations?

Edited by Asphodel

I think that's pretty common. Almost everyone I speak to feels some sort of draw to another era. Why? Who knows, wishful thinking, past life memories, could be almost anything or different reasons depending on the person.

Definatly 1910 to 1947 . pretty sure i was a physician in ww2 , so that being said , probably because i was there .

Why do you like your favourite tv show or band you do because it strikes a cord within you and its the same thing here

its got nothing to do with past lives oh and i like ancient asia best

I feel a nostaligic connection to Vincent Van Gogh's painting, as if what he painted i've seen before. I love the feeling.

I think it's pretty common and not paranormal at all... It's a matter of taste I suppose. I can feel "connected" to almost every era, if I think enough about it. On the other hand, I was never too fascinated by times and places... But yeah...it's nice to think about it.

There are a few eras attached to different places I feel attached to, or nostalgic over. I feel in some of those cases it's a past life thing. In others, just because I thought that time must have been pretty cool. I wouldn't necessarily say it MEANS it's a past life thing. Could simply be what Dayne said.

I suppose it could be caused by past lives, but for me its likely that these are just eras I would especially enjoy. You never know, though.

Well, as with everything, you come to a point where it's beyond normal, your fascination or even knowledge of the time/place. Simply enjoying learning/reading/fantacizing about a time and place is fairly normal I'd assume. When it gets to where you're recalling actual events that you've not read about in very vivid detail, or can list dresses in your closet from that time, it starts to become a bit strange. :lol:

i feel really at home in the late 1960s,i mean this started roughly when i was age six till now (39) when i see or even inside houses or buildings ,im there back in time,needless to say that i listen to and dress in 60s gear,i love it -it keeps me sane,especialy nowadays when it seems that hardly no one has any real respect for each other,or even themselves.ive often wondered if ive been reborn? here lies the dilema...if i could go back would i want to??people often tell me that britain in the 60s was pretty awful(well for most part of the country) and that the 'swinging' london scene was just a load of hyped up commercial bull...hence the backlash and introduction of the skinhead movement.I think that i would go back,if only to get clothes and records....ohhhhh now that would be heaven :)

I would say "my times" are... Ancient greece, The tudor period and the 1920/30's.

i feel really at home in the late 1960s,i mean this started roughly when i was age six till now (39) when i see or even inside houses or buildings ,im there back in time,needless to say that i listen to and dress in 60s gear,i love it -it keeps me sane,especialy nowadays when it seems that hardly no one has any real respect for each other,or even themselves.ive often wondered if ive been reborn? here lies the dilema...if i could go back would i want to??people often tell me that britain in the 60s was pretty awful(well for most part of the country) and that the 'swinging' london scene was just a load of hyped up commercial bull...hence the backlash and introduction of the skinhead movement.I think that i would go back,if only to get clothes and records....ohhhhh now that would be heaven :)

I also have strong feelings to the 60's but mine are not so happy. I have an aversion to VW buses, but I've ridden in them. When I hear certain 60's era music, I want to cry, especially Janis Joplin stuff. When I see stuff on TV regarding the hippy era, I feel uncomfortable but am fascinated.

The interesting thing is that I found my birth family about 7 years ago. My entire family is brushed with hippy paint. My grandparents were even responsible for a well known folkfest in Orillia. Of note is that I was born in the early 70's.

I do not know if any of this is significant. To me, it is a deep, internal feeling.

I also have strong feelings to the late 1800's era. I dont know if it was all of the heritage museums I went to as a child or watching too much Little House on the Prairie, but like some of you, I feel its more than that.

Maybe it is just my love of history and the whole what if I was there and how it really like but I feel connected to:

Ancient Scythians and Thracians around the time the Scythians first domesticated the horse as a tool of warfare. I would have been afraid of them. Then again when Thrace was a limitless country that seemed to never end and when the Sons of Heracles stayed there for a time before returning back to their homeland to reclaim it and avenge their father.

The reign of King Croesus of Lydia when the city burned and the king was to be burned but was not through 'divine intervention'. When he was told his city was burning by the enemy but his response was it is no longer my city but yours and they quickly scrambled to turn off the flames.

The time of the Germanic tribes, particularly the Franks, specifically the Ripurians.

Visigothic Spain and again during the wars of Reconquest and seeing the Alhambra fall. Christopher Columbus was there to see it fall and the last Moorish ruler, Boabdil, cried, and his mother told him not to and act like a man.

The border skirmishes between Texas and Mexico of the late 1800s and early 1900s and having to contend with the evils of the Texas Rangers.

I also have a strong aversion to the 1960s.

I have always been drawn to the time of World War II, and more specifically, though aware and interested in the European struggle, but fascinated by the Pacific Theater. I do not know why that particular time and place stick with me so strongly. On the other hand, the 1960's Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo program grips me, also. Pehaps it is an awakening of past lives, or, more likely, it just interests me. I don't feel that anyone fully knows why they are drawn to different periods.

I feel exactly the same as you telirium. I feel such a strong connection with the 1800's. It's like I was actually there.

I just know I was a sailor on a man-of-war in the English Royal Navy.

I also get very choked up when i think about WW2. I know it's a sad event, but I usually don't care about that sort of thing. When I was little we went to this place called Eden Camp (It's like a living museum about the wars) & i hated every second of it, i cried & everything and i can only have been about 8-9. It was the smell more than anything. It just seemed so familiar and horrifying.

i feel a really strong connection to ancient athens and imperial rome, but what i feel very strongly is a sort of relation with independence wars(especially ancient, no guns) everytime i see a movie or read a book about some people invading a weaker country and then the guys from that country kick them out i feel like im there fighting for my home with them, it happens everytime i see braveheart and everytime i read about the greco-persian war

I primarily feel attached to the 1960s (England), 1910s (America), 1800-10s (France), and 1770s (France). I feel attached to the Elizabethan period (England), high renaissance (Italy), and ancient Greece as well, but to a slightly lesser extent. It probably sounds ridiculous, all those years. A lot of my interests and preferences reflect those particular years.

The 1960s gives me a sense of interest and of youthful belonging.

The 1910s gives me a bittersweet feeling.

I love the 1800-10s, and the 1770s. They feel very "me". If you knew me, you'd understand.

^^^ I love furniture, fashion, music, and lifestyle from all of the above. I enjoy the art to an extent. I don't like much of the art from the 60s.

I doubt my interests/attachments mean anything, though.

Are anyones periods of interest linked to nations?

Waow , that's plenty of attachments !

I feel exactly the same as you telirium. I feel such a strong connection with the 1800's. It's like I was actually there.

I just know I was a sailor on a man-of-war in the English Royal Navy.

I also get very choked up when i think about WW2. I know it's a sad event, but I usually don't care about that sort of thing. When I was little we went to this place called Eden Camp (It's like a living museum about the wars) & i hated every second of it, i cried & everything and i can only have been about 8-9. It was the smell more than anything. It just seemed so familiar and horrifying.

You mention smell. I know what you mean!!! There is an old historic boat in a museum here called the St. Roch (an RCMP boat). Every time I visited it as a kid, the smell would follow me home. I can smell the boat right now. The oiled wood, the wool worn by the occupants, the furs, the machinery. I also remember several dreams about the boat. I was probably aged 5 to 8 during this time. My parents ran a preschool and this was one of the field trips they took the kids on, and I would usually get to go and also with my own class as a field trip. Only I can't decide if it is horrifying or just so darned familiar. I know only that I feel slightly queasy about it all. (Seasickness, maybe?)

Edited to add link: http://hnsa.org/ships/stroch.htm

Edited by LadyHay

My times are the 1700's. I love the style of clothing back then. I think it's very beautiful.

I'm also into the music of the 1960's and the 1970's. Like Fleetwood Mac, the Mamas and the Papas, Mama Case.

I'm also into Anne Frank. And the Jewish Holocaust.